Are You Insured?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what state you live in and their regulations. In MD to get insurance for tree work you have to have a MD Tree Experts license. No license, no insurance. A lot of lawn guys do tree work and say they are covered buy their lawn company insurance, WRONG. When I took my MD Tree Expert exam in 1999, you had to have a 4 year degree or 8 years in the trade just to qualify to take the test. You take the test, pass, the state gives you a form stating you passed. Take that to your insurance company, they give you a policy. Take your policy # back to the state, and they issue you your license. I took the test on the very last day before they switched to the ISA test. So, some requirements may have changed a little. Personally, I can't see any insurance company giving a policy to cover dangerous work unless you can document the ability to do the work safely. No disrespect intended. I think if you go to your agent and tell them you take down trees on the side for friends, relatives, and the firewood, they will very politely say no. Another angle people used to/ probably still do, use was the MHIL, MD Home Improvement License. Since it didn't apply to Tree work I never looked into what it actually covered. Builders, landscapers, general contractors, all had the MHIL # on their trucks. But it Did Not cover tree work.

To your question. If you can get it , YES. One mistake on your part and you could be working the rest of your life to support someone you injured.

I know you don't use hired help? Many years ago, my uncle hired a kid that lied on his work permit. To work on a ground crew you have to be 18, in MD. If I'm wrong someone will correct me. The kid turned out to be a year or two younger than he said. He was on a roof sweeping off sawdust and fell and broke his neck. My uncle had to pay fines and send the kid to a special rehab school in CO. Even with insurance it cost him a fortune. Not to mention the emotional issue of the kid getting injured.

Saying be careful does not just mean wearing chaps and glasses. I came from 4 generations of tree care, I had a license, I don't now. I still work for friends and relatives. Just know that there are consequences to your actions, and you may be paying for them, for ever, Joe.

Rarefish, those pictures are making my b@11$ shrivel up! I could never climb like that! WOW, is all I can say!

The first picture is me, that was a last big tree I took down. I cheated and used a 50 ton crane. The second Is my friend, he's 63 and plans on climbing till 65. He's been climbing for my cousin, and before him, my uncle, for over 40 years, Joe.

Hi there! Insurance is much necessary in order to get coverages from the damage. One may register for an insurance by checking online. But first, one needs to decide what are the different coverages he needs to cover under an insurance policy. Having the right kind of insurance is much necessary to cover the damages. Before registering for insurance one must check online to know more information about the insurance coverages.

Yeah, unfortunately I went through that with my Mom. She sent $75,000 dollars to her "friends" in Africa. I talked to the US Attorneys office, States Attorneys, FBI, State Police, Local Police, Center for Aging, Elder Abuse, and they all said the same thing. "Does she know what day it is, Yes. Can she fix her meals, Yes. Get dressed, Yes. Well, she's OK. It's her money, if she wants to make bad choices who to give it too, that's her business." Watch out when you get old, there is nothing your kids can do to protect you, Joe.

I work for a town and we load mulch and compost on peoples trucks and trailers. They have to sign a waiver before we load them. Maybe check with a lawyer and see if you can get something written up that would cover you.

I work for a town and we load mulch and compost on peoples trucks and trailers. They have to sign a waiver before we load them. Maybe check with a lawyer and see if you can get something written up that would cover you.
You maybe able to write a waiver that basically says, " I take down trees on the side for the firewood, I am not licensed or insured, if I drop the tree on your house or car it's on you." But, I don't think many people will sign it. I'm saying this joking. If you are scrounging wood and are not a professional, no insurance company will give you a policy. A waiver for a municipality dumping mulch in a truck or trailer, so some one can't say you scratched or dented my truck, is very limited. If an operator dumped a load on the cab and killed the driver, the waiver would mean nothing. It's expected that the operator is skilled at his job and won't do anything to endanger you. A scrounger is expected, by definition, "Not" to be skilled and probably be a danger, and thus, if he has a waiver, it would probably mean nothing. This comes from 4 generations of residential tree care, licensed and insured, not just my opinion, Joe.

I don't think any waivers would protect you, if money is changing hands.

I used to have waivers for using private land for firewood, shooting, ride motorcycle, etc. I signed and gave to landowners. Made them feel better.

Then I found out from a lawyer that waiver means nothing. They may be protected from ME suing for something, although there are ways around that too, but my family or friends could sue for loss of my companionship or emotional distress or all sorts of things, even if I was injured but not killed.
Basically, waivers mean nothing, and common sense and responsibility disappear when lawyers arrive on the scene. Unfortunate reality of todays society.

Then I found out from a lawyer that waiver means nothing.

A waiver is simply a signed promise that someone won't sue you. That promise can be broken if they decide to sue you anyway, and it means absolutely nothing in court. It's a shame, but that's the way it is.

Joe, I have a foolproof plan for when I get old to make sure no one takes advantage of me and takes my money. I'm spending it all right now on firewooding gear. Nobody is taking my money. Just one less things my kids have to worry about when I get older.
All they'll have to fight over is an antique Triumph motorcycle, my two boys will have 50-50 custody!:cool:

A waiver is simply a signed promise that someone won't sue you. That promise can be broken if they decide to sue you anyway, and it means absolutely nothing in court. It's a shame, but that's the way it is.
and with a good old hand shake of honor an trust, a punch in the jaw/nose still has its place in honoring a broken trust !

Back