Can i make chipper truck out of a 85 c20

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honesttree17

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have my own small tree company and one of my other tree buddies i help out sometimes gave me an old 1980s chevy c20 6.2 diesel truck. He had got it from a customer, he didn't know if it ran but i got it running today! So i have a chipper already (it needs some work) but i was wondering if it makes sence to make a chipper truck out of it or could i just blow the chips in the back of the bed. Does any body have any advice or ideas...

500 pounds a yard
What does a dump bed weigh, ya think? 1200 lbs for one give or take with hydraulics and sides? I don't know the payload of a C20 offhand, but after driver, fuel, random tools, mud and you wont be able to carry many chips.

You are going to be limited by weight. You certainly can put some chips in there while also towing a smaller (6" capacity, say) chipper. But with a proper dump body and a 9"+ chipper, even a 3500 dual rear wheel is going to be at or over capacity.

What does a dump bed weigh, ya think? 1200 lbs for one give or take with hydraulics and sides? I don't know the payload of a C20 offhand, but after driver, fuel, random tools, mud and you wont be able to carry many chips.

Just the dump hoist is about 600lbs. The bed another 2000-3000lbs, depending on size and how it's built.

Not sure on weight rating. My c&c C30 hauls 4-5 tons without any fuss.

Just the dump hoist is about 600lbs. The bed another 2000-3000lbs, depending on size and how it's built.

Not sure on weight rating. My c&c C30 hauls 4-5 tons without any fuss.
That sounds a bit high for a pickup sized bed to me. Never really bothered to weight a chip box, so what do I know. I see a lot of trucks running around with converted mason dumps too, which I know weigh about that.

I was talking about a standard 8x12ft bed. I wouldn't bother with anything smaller myself.

That size truck will not fit in a lot of residential lots. A lot of companies I know locally have big & small (1 ton vs medium duty) chip trucks since the medium duty ones will not fit into the residential driveways.

Payload aside have you drove the 6.2? They are dogs!

Back