Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:dancing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/stihl-038-super-chainsaw-with-spare-sthil-chain-/132229584473?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=5OCLb8gfKvsa7KkCJCUFIvAdkDg%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Hopefully it is in full working order as described. So long as I don't pick up something wrong with it on collection, then I'll put up a thread in the chainsaw forum in due course, with a link of course.

yay!
I don't know what your experience with saws is, but when you get your hands on that 038 super, the inside of your visor will be covered in spit from you giggling! You won't have to worry about aggravating the neighbors either because you'll be done cutting all your wood in an hour. 2 and a half times the horsepower at least from that little saw!

Well I know it's bad down by Bob (spike)'s shop and it's bad up to Rochester. Still only affecting a few trees up by Albany.
I only have one Ash in my yard and it looks healthy. I was working on my Dog Doctors farm the other day and "ALL" of her Ash are goners. She might be 15 miles away. The EAB is in MD, Joe.

IMG_1476.JPG Wife tried to scrounge up a deer this morning but it got away. I took my frustrations out on the split pile. On the upside, I picked up the beginnings of a scrounging trailer today. Old camper frame that some barnyard savage has brutalized but I'll make something out of it. Too dark for pics.

Did some splitting and stacking today. Darn dog chased a chipmuck and ran under my car trailer. 2 stitches and a nice Vet bill.
View attachment 586986 View attachment 586987 View attachment 586988 View attachment 586989 View attachment 586990

Silly dawg. Vets charge more than bulls in my experience. How much to do fit in those crates?

I trooped out to the Lady Farm today. Now that she is going to lease a place just down the road, I don't need to ferry wood to my place, we can just move it down the road when the time comes. The load I took home on Friday is still here, I 'forgot' to take it back today. What I did do was pick up some of the wood I had cut previously and carted it down to the Lady Shed. Amazing how quick it is to pick up a load when you don't have to cut it first. Nice clean peppermint.

25th Jun 2.jpg

After unloading that I moved on to look at a dead standing peppermint nearby. There are a few more behind it that might get some attention too.

25th Jun 3.jpg

Shortly after...

25th Jun 1.jpg

Most of the peppermints I have been cutting recently have been termite free, but termites like this stuff as much as I do and unfortunately, they had found this one.

25th Jun 4.jpg

I don't mind them taking a bite here and there, but when they eat half of it...bastards. Anyway, let it not be said that I don't heed good advice. I am coming around to the idea of using smaller saws on smaller wood. Here is my small saw that I used on small wood.

25th Jun 5.jpg

And here it is again! The little 460 was perfect for this small stuff. Glad I didn't use the big saw.

25th Jun 6.jpg

:)

Inside that dead peppermint I dropped, I found this little guy. He was asleep and not that thrilled about being woken up from his hibernation. I found a hollow log he could go back to sleep in.

25th Jun 7.jpg

I took the load of partly ratty termite addled peppermint down and chucked it in the Lady Shed. It looks a bit better when stacked. She was off in town at some children's trampoline birthday party so I had the run of the joint.

25th Jun 9.jpg

Hopefully, that will see her through the next two weeks, even the way she burns it, which seems to be as fast as possible.

After doing all this, there was my fee to be charged, of course.

25th Jun 8.jpg

About half a cube. Not so many termites in that trailer though.

:)

Pics of the future scrounge wagon. Old camper frame that some jagoff cut right behind the axles. No problem for a guy who can weld! Also it's 13' long so the dilemma is, cut it to 12 or cut a foot off 14' boards....hmmm IMG_1542.JPG One of these is not like the other! I have a set of 4 that match and aren't weather cracked.IMG_1543.JPG I intended to split this morning and even woke up the laziest son to work the stew out of him for a life lesson. Much to his delight, a thunderstorm blew in. So I'm out in the garage servicing the saws I used last. This end off a broken snow brush is a great tool for cleaning filters in the field and the paint brush gets in the tight spots under the covers. Both are kept in my saw box along with a few tools, spare chains, files, wedges, earplugs and gloves......IMG_1546.JPG

Did a bit of scrounging yesterday at my mate property on the rural outskirts of Sydney. The ground was a bit wet so I couldn't get over to the good part of the property where the Iron bark is. So had to settle for dead dry Sydney Grey gum, not sure how good it is but its not nearly as dense as Iron bark. This stuff will be burn in two seasons from now.
upload_2017-6-26_9-15-29.png

upload_2017-6-26_9-23-39.png

upload_2017-6-26_9-27-38.png

upload_2017-6-26_9-29-8.png

upload_2017-6-26_9-30-26.png

This section of fence (16' between big posts) was stacked with ash rounds this morning. After the thunderstorms blew through, we managed to work through it allIMG_1551.JPGThis was some of the oldest wood I have, before I started stacking on skids, so the bottom row was pretty heavy. IMG_1552.JPG The "done been split" pile is a growing!IMG_1553.JPG Got to work with my youngest son, 16, and he is a good but reluctant worker. Lol. I'd rather be fishing I told him, but if he wants his own bedroom, we gotta do this first! Otherwise I can sell this house and we can head to the lake now. He thought we should split the wood. Lol.

Wood Nazi, I use lots of trailers like that to make my trailers. I cut them to the over all length I want and just weld in new axle hanger brackets where I want the axle to be. Easier than cutting the front and moving it all. I usually just make a complete new frame on top of the rec tube using 1/4"x 2x2" angle to the width I want too. First 2 pics are a 16' with beaver tail for the lawn mowers. 3rd one is a 20' used mostly for the steiner and sweeper or 3 mowers.
324.jpg IMG-20130730-00168.jpg 20'trailer.jpg

Scourged up some nice spruce couple weeks ago, didn't have a lot of time and it was close to the road :)IMG_2194.JPG Then last week found a real nice Idaho oak (well close as we have to oak, larch) blown down right in the road doesn't get any better than thatIMG_2211.JPG horse trailer was full so had to break in the "new" pickup...

Did a bit of scrounging yesterday at my mate property on the rural outskirts of Sydney. The ground was a bit wet so I couldn't get over to the good part of the property where the Iron bark is. So had to settle for dead dry Sydney Grey gum, not sure how good it is but its not nearly as dense as Iron bark. This stuff will be burn in two seasons from now.
View attachment 587188

View attachment 587194

View attachment 587197

View attachment 587199

View attachment 587200

Nice pics Jeff. Assuming there are no identification issues, grey gum (e. propinqua/ e. punctata) has an air dry density of 1080kg/m. Can't complain about that!

Wood Nazi, I use lots of trailers like that to make my trailers. I cut them to the over all length I want and just weld in new axle hanger brackets where I want the axle to be. Easier than cutting the front and moving it all. I usually just make a complete new frame on top of the rec tube using 1/4"x 2x2" angle to the width I want too. First 2 pics are a 16' with beaver tail for the lawn mowers. 3rd one is a 20' used mostly for the steiner and sweeper or 3 mowers.
View attachment 587247 View attachment 587248 View attachment 587249
You know it's a big trailer when you have to take an aerial photo! I've always wanted a utility trailer. As a welder, I've built trailers of all kinds from scratch, just never for myself. If I cut the rear spring bracket off and move it in front of the other wheel, I can just unbolt everything else and move the whole assembly ahead. This one I'm going to build (finish) at home with my old stick welder and a chop saw and see how cheap I can keep it. I may cheat and use the press brake at work to make fenders. My only dilemma is do I leave it at 13' or cut it to 12?

Back