MY FIRST SAW! WHAT WAS YOURS?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All! Just trying to post and get acquainted with everyone. Hope y'all are having a good morning. I love seeing all these saws I would love to expand my collection. :)

Anyway, sorry for the pic quality but I just got my first saws as of recent and already I love having the freedom to go out and cut some wood! While I mostly am doing firewood, I started working for a landscaping company and I am learning to be a tree climber! I am very excited. There are pics here of a Husqvarna 61 with a 25" bar. The other is my Stihl 211 C-BE with a 16" bar :) hope you can see them alright!IMG_20170204_061336.jpg IMG_20170204_061355.jpg IMG_20170204_061433.jpg IMG_20170204_061457.jpg

Thanks all for posting these awesome saws!

Colby Cain

hey to everyone... first post from little NZ. brought my first stihl today after buying Chinese saws and killing, its a second hand MS440 with 20 inch bar I know in the pics it shows different bucking spikes but its coming with a new set , mainly for serious firewood and some felling.. - mattView attachment 362865 View attachment 362866
I've got that exact saw. It's a good one. I use it for the bigger trees here in the woods of Ontario.
We have monster White Pine, Red Oak, and Sugar Maples here to deal with from time to time. Not to mention some huge Elm and other large species like Cedars, Firs and even some very large Poplar and some large Basswood.
It's a bit big for my everyday firewood saw so I also have a Stihl MS 291 as a "go-to" saw that I use for most of my firewood cutting.
What will you be using it for?

Frist saw was a poulan wild thing. My dad bought 50 acre that had a old cotton mill and some dams on it. We worked on it for several years. 3 months after we started cleaning up around one of the dams he ask me if I want to learn how to run a saw I said hell yea. We went to stihl dealer to get me some ppe. Was the best day of my life. Wish I still had the saw

My first was Grandpa's 032. I bought a used Husqvarna 55 non rancher and ran it pretty hard and when it finally needed some work my wife surprised me with a brand new Husqvarna 450 for Christmas. I then got an almost free Jonsered 630 and now have a almost free MS 441. I don't run the 55 or the 032 much anymore but the 450 and 630 get a work out. The 441 is finally running after some great help here. I move to Alaska in a few weeks so I am guessing the 441 will come in handy.

Just found this thread, I can't remember what the first new saw I ever bought was. I do remember what the first saw I ever ran was. It was 1972, I was 16, my Dad had just gone back into business for himself. He was climbing, using a Homelite XL101, and I was on the ground limbing stuff up with a brand new Homelite Super 1050 with a 36 inch bar. We were taking down a big Cottonwood. After a while every muscle in my body was screaming. Starting that thing wasn't exactly easy, no decomp on 100 CC's. So I grabbed a double bit ax off the truck to limb with. It would go through a limb as big as my calf like butter. Then I swung the ax through a limb and the carry through hit an other limb right below the ax head and snapped it off. I had to go back to the 1050. I was 16 then, I'm 61 now, and I think my neck and shoulders are still sore from running that thing all day. We had 2 Super 1050's, I still have both of them, and one is on the mill in my avatar. I now use a 660 for milling and about 2 weeks ago I bought an MS 170 on sale for $159. So, the 170 was my last new saw. Some of Dad's old saws and one of the 1050's now, Joe.

Here on the prairie we don't have much need for saws, and not much for heat. My house is concrete block with full brick veneer, 14" thick, it stays fairly warm or cool year round. I notice the county always has logs at their maintenance barn about 6-10 feet log so instead of buying wood this year I hauled some big logs and cut them up. I bought the Super XL Auto about two weeks ago and the Super EZ Auto yesterday. I have 125.00 in both, the Super XL went through 20 large 20" logs like nothing

Attachments

• 20170617_195152.jpg
    20170617_195152.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 20
This was the first saw I ever bought. Had a scored P&C but it ran ok. Painted it up and now it just sits.

20130525_144352.jpg

The first saw I ever used for anything was an old 1-50, given to me by my uncle.

20130525_144517.jpg

My first chainsaw was an orange Montgomery Wards electric with an 8 inch bar, circa 73-74.

Pretty much indestructible, and dirt cheap. Then moved up to the 14 inch bar electric. Enough torque n reach to remove Phoenix Canariensis date palms with!

Then dice the stump into little checkers with it, before popping those squares out with a Maddox n Pulaski by hand.

There comes a time in every teen's life....when he realizes....he's a man!

For me that was after diggin a date palm stump outta the ground!

Nothing tears up a chainsaw as fast as palm removal. The Palm acid eats magnesium up pretty fast.

Jomoco

Back