Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even the non dangerous species of spiders can leave a nasty bite that takes weeks to fully heal. Around here we have what I call "banana" spiders which have a body shaped like a banana. They like to hang out near lakes and rivers and if they bite you the flesh literally rots away around the bite.

I do like it up here in the Great White North , only worry I have here is a Drop Porcupine ...

I'm jealous of the last two post, especially seeing as I'm at work while you guys are living the dream.

Actually, these are all from Sunday. I'm just re-living the dream.

Is that the infamous Huntsman spider? Creepy!

Yep, they're huntsmans. I imagine they would have been all through that part of the log, they're at Roscoe's house now. Twice I've had one crawl up onto my shoulder while cutting and seen this big hairy thing in my peripheral vision. FAAAARK! The first time it happened I threw the saw and dispatched the spider, the second time I was a bit more composed. Now, it's just 'meh, big hairy spider'.

And for my friends down under
View attachment 591502

Finally, a pic from you blokes that I don't have to stand on my head to see properly!

I'll admit, I might have gone slightly overboard with the pics on Sunday. Here's Roscoe's next load heading home.

16th Jul 14.jpg

And the one after that.

16th Jul 15.jpg

And here's my next trailer load ready to unload in Roscoe's carport.

16th Jul 16.jpg

Good thing he doesn't need to park a car in there since his last load was still to be unloaded in there too. Well over six cubes all up. I didn't go home empty-handed either.

16th Jul 19.jpg

@dancan , it's oak! Technically it is she-oak, a type of local casuarina. They don't grow very big and I've never bothered with them. I measured and weighed the one standing up and it worked out to be about 820kg/m which is similar to the peppermint anyway. Curious to see how it burns, not that I'll have much opportunity to cut more of it.

:)

View attachment 591784 I did not scrounge, split , stack or cut any firewood today. It was pretty warm in the shop at work today. Since we live 20 minutes from the second longest freshwater beach in the world, I took the kids and we went swimming. Cooled us right down!

I'll bet it cooled you down, is the water temp into double figures? Great pic btw.

Question: Is anyone still burning this time of the year in the northen hemisphere?

By the lack of action on this thread in the last day or two, I reckon it must be pretty warm over there. Now that I'm off farm access, my scrounging is going to be pretty infrequent now, so I got nothin'. Oi! @KiwiBro , you been cutting any e.saligna recently?

By the lack of action on this thread in the last day or two, I reckon it must be pretty warm over there. Now that I'm off farm access, my scrounging is going to be pretty infrequent now, so I got nothin'. Oi! @KiwiBro , you been cutting any e.saligna recently?
Not for ages. A firewood customer has plenty of E.botryoides and E.saligna logs I dropped for her a while ago but I don't think she can afford me anymore, so I don't know what will happen with those logs. There is a mixed stand of saligna and fastigata up North I will get stuck into next Summer. Some nice trees in there, around 4-5' DBH. But that's about it for gums.

Just burning in the fire pit and the sauna here. High between the high 70's and low 90's over the past week. Nights in the 50's and 60's. This summer has been nice in the fact that it cools down considerably overnight. When you get those days where it doesn't cool off at all, that makes for a long summer.

Still have a good amount of firewood to deliver, and logs to mill, as the house where they are is being sold next month. A few days have been oppressively hot, and I'm trying to let my right shoulder recover a bit.

Did a bike ride in the extreme heat on Tue, went 30+ mi. but hit the wall hard at 25 mi with the heat, so I returned slowly after that. Had not ridden in over a week due to all the rain the previous week. Sometimes, just tough to catch a break!

Got a new milling rig I'm gonna try out. S/B able to do 33/34" with the 660, and I have a Red Oak log just about that size.

Back