West Coast Fallers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to run it for the tale to be told. I assume it will have the built in power and be very responsive. A muffler mod should give it 3/4 - 1 more PH. That alone will put it up as high as the 390 stock. It has a 48mm piston. The 272 started with a 52mm, they went to a 8/100th longer stroke. Looks like a tall cap so I'm thinking a longer cylinder?
This one has 11.5/100th longer stroke.
I'm thinking very high compression.
It needs to have the pull to keep the centripetal force working or the chain pulls out of the bar too much and chips jam the chain. (Square chisel can be a good cure)That's the problem with falling larger cedar. Loose slabs inside the tree will sit down on your chain just enough to offset the dynamics. Another thing is it can't be susceptible to plugging when doged in through the side cover.
Its faster that the 562 by a metre per second (m/s) with a 7 tooth 3.75 sprocket. 29.3 m/s at 133% max power speed. Max power speed was at 9900rpm.
To me I would think it to means 100% is Max speed power, 1/3 of 9900 Is 3,300
So 133% would = 13,200 but that isn't true because I did the math...You asked..lol.
I believe it would have to turn 15,996 rpm with a 7 tooth to reach 29.3 m/s (29,300mm/s) The 562 has a suggested max rpm setting of 14000 but isn't it auto tune? I don't understand? Anyway this saw is about 3%+ faster.

The 3/8, 7 tooth has a 35 mm dia and a 109.9 mm circumference = 1 revolution.
I believe the 572 revoles 266 times per sec
And 562 at 257. This is all on memory from ten days ago but i'm pretty sure it's perfect.

OH...I have to go...my OCD is 'calling me elsewhere

Your in the pocket... Good Literature. I'd imagine you'd entertain this saw above..........462.jpg

"Here was the post"

1. I have started to wonder if they are going to "jump over" a generation with the 70cc and up saws, and the 572, 590 etc never will hit the market?

As I understand it, the 390 is about the "standard saw" on the US West coast at the moment, with some 395s (a much older design) in the mix - due to the failure of the 661 and 461 in that environment.

It isn't just what has been posted on here - if you looked at "Axe-men" over some time, most saws were MS660 some years ago, now they almost exclusively are 390xp. Any Stihl saw is a rarity with the PNW crews.

That does of course not encourage Husky to change their model line-up, when it isn't needed vs. the EPA.
haven't spent much time in the pnw then because there is no exclusive anything used and there's a mix 6 of one half dozen the other of who runs what

462-jpg.591463

Your in the pocket... Good Literature. I'd imagine you'd entertain this saw above..........
I saw ^^this picture above
But it had a German caption
I guess that's the new 462 going under the scope. Unfortunately it's had some setbacks.
Translation into 'American' will be a privilege

As follows...

" What we hAve hERe is a FAAAilyA to CommUNICATe"

Yeah Dan, I can't deny of having not being somewhat of a little smitten when it comes to talking about the 462 and 572
But you know I'm happily married.

My saws have the best of all worlds
They are snappy as ****, light as ****. They can turn 16 grand without load.
They drop speed quick in a bar size buck but they sit on its power speed around 10.
My 'neighors' were running a 390, a 661 and a 660. We are all in steady 3-4 footers.
Lots of bar size+ undercuts. The 390, the 661 and my 375 all were hooking round chain, 0.30 gauged rakers.
Doged in, bawls deep, teeth up, chips a flyin' squirrels cryin' whether it be Hemlock, Balsam, Cyprus, Cedar, Spruce or Fir 661,660 390 461 round or square; They all sit down on their torque.
As far as my ears can tell the surge time and revs are the same...and it sounds pretty cool.

Extremely nice running saws.
What more could a guy wait for?
25 year old design that's still every bit relevant today.
"mdavlee" Mike Lee built them for me.
One custom build on request that's a little bit more of a hot rod.
Ive been running ported saws since '92
And THATS^^^ how it's done.

available wood is mostly smaller. mill I'm at almost everyday, a 5' [d] is few & far between.
A lot of hardwoods came back
On the lower mainland and the Fraser valley, which is the natural cycle. There is certainly diversity in areas. The land produced massive trees. 8-10- 15+ footers right up the valley. Some of the best ground was logged and given away.
It was deemed useless. The stumps eventually all got burned out and it become farmlands
It shares the same soil type as most of Washington. Slower draining; faster growing than most of the BC coast. Nobody wants the fir if it's spaced out. To quick to grow, to branchy. I've seen and cut lots of 3,4 & some 5 footers in the 65-80 year range but it's junk.

And dealers:

Our Stihl dealer does not spin chain "they claim liability"... In addition "their distributer will not spin/send me on oddball DL count"
Cannon 33" ex.... (someone's full of ****, or lazy)

I run to my Husqvarna tech to fill the gap!
I've only found one Stihl dealer who spins chain. That's where I bought my 241 from.

The previous 4 dealers I visited didn't know Stihl made a 241 and told me I must have meant the 251 lol.

Lighthearted....

it hard not to be mad at the industry. WCB and industry regs are hard on workers in the woods but then they let a ****'n retard like that in the woods to make a documentary. a faller is not allowed to post stupid little thing online for his family to see but they allow these clowns to produce a film on it. probably didn't even have to follow the same procedures. rick mercer is even worse. the guy is a clown and they got money which is the only reason they get to do what they do. even just boarding the 500 like him would get you talked to. guys like that show up here to work for real, they get laughed at and sent home lol.

Latest posts

Back