Time to strip some land for my house & shop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climb_on

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need to strip the land for my house, shop and driveway (pics attached). Mostly it's just grassy, but there is a fair bit of 1"-3" brush (mostly buckthorn) and a dozen or so 6"-10" pine trees.

I have a Case 1845C skid loader with a bucket, brush/post puller attachment, and a backhoe attachment. I have access to a BIG old chipper as well.

I will yank as much brush out as I can with the puller attachment. I'll "try" to dig the root balls out with the backhoe. It's sandy soil so I hope I can do it. Most of the brush and all the bigger trees are in the driveway area and some brush in the shop area. I can grind the tree stumps if I have to, but I think it would be much better to get them our all together, before bringing in the class 5.

Any suggestions/stratagies for this kind of work? Will I be able to get those bigger root balls out with the backhoe? Can I run the small root balls in the chipper, from the brush I pull....or is that really hard on chippers?

site plan1.jpg IMG_1535.jpg brush.jpg hoe.jpg

Don't try to run the stumps they the chipper.

Do you have an auger for post & fencing?

They are very nice on the front of a skid steer.

We have the 3500 with the stump drill/ auger.

Also, the 12" & 18" dirt auger.

https://www.skidsteersolutions.com/auger-big-bundle-package-eterra/#

Also have a McMillan, & the Eterra is a better Auger.

No auger. They are pretty expensive and haven't found a good deal on one yet, but I never knew about the stump planer/drill! That is pretty sweet makes an auger attachment a bit more versatile.

When you take out the stumps, dig around the periphery of the root mass to loosesn up the fibrous roots and then work your way in. By the time you get to the stump, it won't take much to finish the job. On stumps, the small fibrous roots have tremendous holding power as a whole, but not much individually,

No auger. They are pretty expensive and haven't found a good deal on one yet, but I never knew about the stump planer/drill! That is pretty sweet makes an auger attachment a bit more versatile.

97f48e50ab3e7eaf6dd4fb53417efcdd.jpg

49001c350d3c2023f14db56c7f537839.jpg

I need to strip the land for my house, shop and driveway (pics attached). Mostly it's just grassy, but there is a fair bit of 1"-3" brush (mostly buckthorn) and a dozen or so 6"-10" pine trees.

I have a Case 1845C skid loader with a bucket, brush/post puller attachment, and a backhoe attachment. I have access to a BIG old chipper as well.

I will yank as much brush out as I can with the puller attachment. I'll "try" to dig the root balls out with the backhoe. It's sandy soil so I hope I can do it. Most of the brush and all the bigger trees are in the driveway area and some brush in the shop area. I can grind the tree stumps if I have to, but I think it would be much better to get them our all together, before bringing in the class 5.

Any suggestions/stratagies for this kind of work? Will I be able to get those bigger root balls out with the backhoe? Can I run the small root balls in the chipper, from the brush I pull....or is that really hard on chippers?

View attachment 592264 View attachment 592267 View attachment 592265 View attachment 592266
I would wait until a storm comes through and the ground is saturated and use a bucket on the skid to push those pines right over.
If the pines are a little much then you may need the backhoe attachment. I use my Kubota l3800 and it does a great job, I would think the skid would do even better. One work of warning with pushing trees over; I have done quite a few this way so I can get the root ball out(I'm clearing for a building too now, one year it was real dry and the top of a tree got caught on another tree when pushing on it, the top snapped off and came down on my tractor with me on it. I was not hurt but my tractor was a little scratched up. So be sure to look for damage or suspect dry trees that could have this happen even if you slam into them, I push them pretty gently at first.
I would think the post puller would work on the smaller ones the same day.
Be careful.

if you want to get the stumps out its best to leave the tree full standing. dig around it and then push it away from yourself. the standing tree will help leverage and add weight while falling to break the uncut roots

IMG_0286.JPG the smaller ones you may be able to break off below the ground with the back hoe. I dropped this one last weekend and used a bobcat e46 to dig around the stump then crawled in the hole and cut it off with a chainsaw.

Latest posts

Back