The poulan, sorry crapsman that cried leaky fuel cap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlbillie

Hillbilly Deluxe
Reaction score
IMG_2220.JPG IMG_2211.JPG Sup lads,
Crapsman "TURBO" (hard to say that with a straight face) brought into the shop by my dads buddy and says the fuel cap is leaking gas out the little hole in the middle of the fuel cap.

A. This is a simple fix....
B. Go to flea bay and order a new cap off of ching chang chong for $8.
C. Tell your dads buddy its "not worth fixing" and keep it for yourself.

Your suggestion would be appreciated. -Bick

There is NO duckbill valve in last pic. You install it and crimp it down with a fingered washer of appropriate size with a tiny socket. I don't have much luck getting a good seal and just buy caps at the Husky dealer....$5.98 - even cheaper than online.

There is NO duckbill valve in last pic. You install it and crimp it down with a fingered washer of appropriate size with a tiny socket. I don't have much luck getting a good seal and just buy caps at the Husky dealer....$5.98 - even cheaper than online.
BUT is there supposed to be is my question?

BUT is there supposed to be is my question?
Yes, the bronze breather is supposed to be there. Duckbill valve over it. Fingered washer around duckbill shoulder.
I'm not going to try repair these caps anymore. I have jury rigged a vent in. Cover bronze breather with JB Weld. Drill hole in fuel tank ceiling. Stick Echo style tank vent in.

Yes, the bronze breather is supposed to be there. Duckbill valve over it. Fingered washer around duckbill shoulder.
I'm not going to try repair these caps anymore. I have jury rigged a vent in. Cover bronze breather with JB Weld. Drill hole in fuel tank ceiling. Stick Echo style tank vent in.

I like this suggestion. I'm going to try this on my next leaky cap. Thanks!

The only problem with that is the Echo check valves usually cost as much or more then a new fuel cap does.

I don't have much problem usually just replacing the original duckbill valves. You just have to make sure the cap seating surface is clean and that you didn't nick/damage it when you remove the star spring washer . I then press it in place in the vise using a proper size tube. A Bic stick pen barrel works good for that.

Ok so im definetly missing a duck bill valve. Ill look on fleabay and see whats cheaper. Gas cap or a valve.

Back