Solder thickness for squish?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCraig

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm building an 046 w/ the "good port timing" D-jug. Measuring squish tonight with the "4 pieces of solder and grease taking the jug off" method. I got .039 with old gasket, .021 with no gasket. Gasket itself measures .02. Error is probably in my crappy calipers or the operator.

Then I'm reading some old threads on here about solder thickness. Someone said that too thick of solder gives you a false reading, and you should use .031 or something like that. My solder is rosin core electronics solder, but .062. With no gasket, it took a good bit of effort to turn the flywheel over.

Should I be worried about the accuracy of my measurements because of the thicker solder? Physics tells me no, but you start to second guess yourself, ya know?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
I have read that the solder if too thick will expand slightly after being compressed. Also, wont the gasket compress when the cylinder bolts are tightened, then expand a bit when the cylinder is removed?

Most come in at .019-.020" gasket deleted. I like .023" solder or yellow plastigauge

Don't know how hard it is for the average guy to find but at work we got 8"X11" sheets of copper in various thickness to use to shim.

Thick solder and thin will give the same reading if the saw is pulled over enough times. But it rarely is.

I use .024 solder .030. If it's a fat squish, I use twisted .o30.

Best bet is to use solder closest to intended squish. It will spring back a bit until it gets crushed enough times.

Latest posts

Back