038 mag II help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJordan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know there has been a lot of discussion on this saw, or at least enough to confuse the mess out of me.

I just bought it yesterday, and would like to get it back up and running.

I have seen where some say the mag II was built in Brazil, but this one says built in Germany.

I know it needs some carb work, but I'm having issues finding a carb rebuild kit that says 038 mag II, I've seen plenty that says 038 mag.
Will it still work? It has a Bing carb on it.

Would I be better off buying a new carb or rebuilding this one?

Which ever way is the best can y'all point me in the right direction as to where to buy from?

Also... what I have noticed is the rebuild kits are just gaskets and diaphragms.
Is there a kit that has everything? Fuel lines, fuel filter, valve, and everything else to completely do a rebuild? If so can you please point me in the right direction

And I will still have more questions but as of now just one last question.

The run switch.
When I put it all the way down in the choke position it doesn't hold the trigger up. Is this saw supposed to?
Seems like it has three positions
Top- off
Middle- run
Down - choke

I greatly appreciate any help y'all can give

Look for the carb kit based on the make & model on the carb. In other words, don't search for 038 mag II carb kit, but search for Walbro HD16 carb kit. (Only substitute whatever carb yours has).

Fuel line(s), impulse line, etc will be found easiest with the part number from the IPL (illustrated parts list). Lemme find you the beg for manuals thread.

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this saw, or at least enough to confuse the mess out of me.

I just bought it yesterday, and would like to get it back up and running.

I have seen where some say the mag II was built in Brazil, but this one says built in Germany.

I know it needs some carb work, but I'm having issues finding a carb rebuild kit that says 038 mag II, I've seen plenty that says 038 mag.
Will it still work? It has a Bing carb on it.

Would I be better off buying a new carb or rebuilding this one?

Which ever way is the best can y'all point me in the right direction as to where to buy from?

Also... what I have noticed is the rebuild kits are just gaskets and diaphragms.
Is there a kit that has everything? Fuel lines, fuel filter, valve, and everything else to completely do a rebuild? If so can you please point me in the right direction

And I will still have more questions but as of now just one last question.

The run switch.
When I put it all the way down in the choke position it doesn't hold the trigger up. Is this saw supposed to?
Seems like it has three positions
Top- off
Middle- run
Down - choke

I greatly appreciate any help y'all can give
You will need a Bing 48 carb kit, you can Google it and find it for sale. As far as the other, your choke lever could be worn and or your kill switch spring could be messed up as well try replacing both there cheap.

Thank y'all very much for the fast replies.
Yea that's crazy as all get out for that kit.
I might try to find a rebuilt carb of a different brand seems like it would be cheaper in the long run, but then again it might not be.
Do any of you have experience with the carbs on eBay that says built in South America not China?

Thank y'all very much for the fast replies.
Yea that's crazy as all get out for that kit.
I might try to find a rebuilt carb of a different brand seems like it would be cheaper in the long run, but then again it might not be.
Do any of you have experience with the carbs on eBay that says built in South America not China?
Try SAWAGAIN I just saw a Bing carb kit on there for like $12 they do pop up on eBay periodically for $15-$20

Have you found the serial number? Near the exhaust outlet / top of clutch cover. Usually caked in exhaust sludge. If it starts with a one, your saw is German. if it starts with a three, your saw is Brazilian. Lever should latch throttle about half open and choke (in air filter) full shut.

Nothing wrong/bad with the Tilly carb that came on supers, parts are cheaper
That's for sure. On mine I just didn't want to look for parts and the Bing lookalike was cheap, thought I'd give it a try. The air filter was one of the biggest problems with the 038, if you tightened it up too much it would warp and the choke would stick..and yes, it was the OEM filter.

I got my 038 out today and fired it up, cut a little wood and did a little adjustment on the carb. Those things have a lot of torque. I think it's one of the few saws where you can stick it in wood and then give it the gas. Be awfully hard to bog down if you have it adjusted right. Mine's probably still just a hair off but I'm not sure I could get any of them perfect..I'm very hesitant to try to adjust a saw while it's in wood!

Latest posts

Back