Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know what these little beggers are? They seam to stay there under the bark forever
e96abff3807a00bd2026db73214e22e6.jpg

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-sale-as-swiss-retailer-swaps-meat-for-larvae

Yummy ......

Nothing too crazy, this is just what I've split or bucked and stacked since January. Everything that is split was done so and stacked by April to hopefully burn by early winter. Most of the split cordwood is mixed hardwood: white oak, black locust, tulip, sassafrass, and black walnut; and about a cord of it is sycamore. The stacked rounds were large white ash (thanks, EAB) and red oak (unholy carpenter ant nest). Some smaller piles are cherry, walnut, and young red oak. Not in frame is a stack of rounds maybe a cord worth of ailanthus (Tree of Heaven) that we've been *trying* to eradicate. Been using it as burnbarrel and firepit wood, or turning it into charcoal. It smells, but splits easy and burns hot and fast, so rather than spend the time and energy hauling it away I just keep it around as impromptu fuel.

I've got at least a half dozen medium sized to small trees that are marked to be dropped due to either thinning purposes, standing dead, or not healthy. Will probably wait until the autumn to do that because I can't stand the humidity... bucking much of this wood in mid June was like working on the surface of the sun.

vceeEGh.jpg

6eDXGpj.jpg

Nothing too crazy, this is just what I've split or bucked and stacked since January. Everything that is split was done so and stacked by April to hopefully burn by early winter. Most of the split cordwood is mixed hardwood: white oak, black locust, tulip, sassafrass, and black walnut; and about a cord of it is sycamore. The stacked rounds were large white ash (thanks, EAB) and red oak (unholy carpenter ant nest). Some smaller piles are cherry, walnut, and young red oak. Not in frame is a stack of rounds maybe a cord worth of ailanthus (Tree of Heaven) that we've been *trying* to eradicate. Been using it as burnbarrel and firepit wood, or turning it into charcoal. It smells, but splits easy and burns hot and fast, so rather than spend the time and energy hauling it away I just keep it around as impromptu fuel.

I've got at least a half dozen medium sized to small trees that are marked to be dropped due to either thinning purposes, standing dead, or not healthy. Will probably wait until the autumn to do that because I can't stand the humidity... bucking much of this wood in mid June was like working on the surface of the sun.

vceeEGh.jpg

6eDXGpj.jpg
Nice stacks. You've been busy.
I second that about working on the Sun, it's same here but we've had a very wet Summer so far which is a nice change from last ten years or so.
Wish I had more time for my woodcutting.

vceeEGh.jpg

6eDXGpj.jpg
Cutting Black Walnut for firewood. I thought that stuff was worth a small fortune for furniture and gun stock material.

Cutting Black Walnut for firewood. I thought that stuff was worth a small fortune for furniture and gun stock material.
I've heard that straight logs can fetch some coin, but I have not found anyone local that will take it. It grows everywhere around here, and the few that I did cut up were pretty small windfalls, maybe 10-11" in diameter at its widest. I do have a larger one with a straight trunk that is about 20" that needs to come down, most of the canopy got broken off when felling a fairly large red oak earlier this summer. It's still alive, but I don't think it'll last much longer with 80% of its foliage gone. Considered selling off those logs for lumber, but again I'm admittedly not very resourseful in that regard. Might just cut enough up for my neighbor to turn on his lathe and split the rest. It's a toss up with spending too much time trying to get rid of something and just processing it myself and moving on to the next thing to do.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I have some nice black walnut that I cut up about 15 to 20 years ago. I put it up in my garage and forgot about it.
My intentions were to use it for gun and knife grips and handles. It is very HARD. LOL
A buddy told me to sell it. I will see if I can grab a few pics.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've heard that straight logs can fetch some coin, but I have not found anyone local that will take it. It grows everywhere around here, and the few that I did cut up were pretty small windfalls, maybe 10-11" in diameter at its widest. I do have a larger one with a straight trunk that is about 20" that needs to come down, most of the canopy got broken off when felling a fairly large red oak earlier this summer. It's still alive, but I don't think it'll last much longer with 80% of its foliage gone. Considered selling off those logs for lumber, but again I'm admittedly not very resourseful in that regard. Might just cut enough up for my neighbor to turn on his lathe and split the rest. It's a toss up with spending too much time trying to get rid of something and just processing it myself and moving on to the next thing to do.

I have a local gunsmith that likes making custom rifle stocks from black walnut. You could always try listing on craigslist if you come across a good one. I planted 250 of them 10 years ago but will never see them at harvest size.Maybe the Grand Kids will.

Nice stacks. You've been busy.
I second that about working on the Sun, it's same here but we've had a very wet Summer so far which is a nice change from last ten years or so.
Wish I had more time for my woodcutting.
Agreed, the frequency of rain is a nice change indeed. Last summer was hot too, but unbearably dry. Thanks, I plan to get more into once autumn settles in and I can work longer without the heat dragging me down.

I have a local gunsmith that likes making custom rifle stocks from black walnut. You could always try listing on craigslist if you come across a good one. I planted 250 of them 10 years ago but will never see them at harvest size.Maybe the Grand Kids will.
You know, with as much stuff I buy on Craigslist and how often I browse for second hand scores, I never even thought about putting up the logs on an ad there. May have to try that. I guess the best answer is the simplest and right in front of you!

For decades I took care of mowing my grandmother's big old farm (home place where Dad and siblings grew up) One time could mow in a manageable time with bigger tractor, but she kept planting trees, walnut, oak etc. She planted to close so had to mow lot with garden tractor, trim around. More than quadrupled time. She would always say "I don't know why I keep planting, I'll never see them them.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

For decades I took care of mowing my grandmother's big old farm (home place where Dad and siblings grew up) One time could mow in a manageable time with bigger tractor, but she kept planting trees, walnut, oak etc. She planted to close so had to mow lot with garden tractor, trim around. More than quadrupled time. She would always say "I don't know why I keep planting, I'll never see them them.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
I'm 62 and just planted 500 white spruce this spring. What the hay!

I actually must have exaggerated the size of the Walnut tree I previously mentioned, it's more like 10' in diameter, and the ones I already bucked are even smaller, here are the pics. All in all, it didn't seem like much of a waste, not really big trees...

gd5nAIV.jpg

kdrilyJ.jpg

Z9l4hjR.jpg

Back