What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putting in a pork shoulder tomorrow morning. I coat with a mix (equal parts) of applesauce, Heinz 57, Jack Daniels mustard, Quaker steak & lube bbq sauce and my mix of hard rubs. That keeps the flavor in and keeps the outside moist. Once it reaches 165 (about 6 hours), I wrap it and let go another 6 or so. I save the juice to mix in with the pulled pork. Have to make a batch of pulled pork and pulled pork soup for next week. Photos tomorrow.

Putting in a pork shoulder tomorrow morning. I coat with a mix (equal parts) of applesauce, Heinz 57, Jack Daniels mustard, Quaker steak & lube bbq sauce and my mix of hard rubs. That keeps the flavor in and keeps the outside moist. Once it reaches 165 (about 6 hours), I wrap it and let go another 6 or so. I save the juice to mix in with the pulled pork. Have to make a batch of pulled pork and pulled pork soup for next week. Photos tomorrow.

Oh boy... I'm in....

OK, here are the photos. First is the outside of the smoker. It has a 3" bottom vent and 3" chimney. Through a little trial and error I found the settings of the two openings (almost closed) to keep the temp at a pretty constant 240 - 250F. I made a fire basket out of expanded metal. I put in a double layer of unlit charcoal and then a fully burning layer of charcoal from a chimney. I put a few pieces of the smoking wood on top of the coals, add a metal plate to reduce direct heat, and then put the basket into the bottom of the drum. The photo of the basket is after the burn today - you can see the smoking wood has turned to charcoal which tells me the temp was low enough that it didn't ignite. I think that makes a more mellow smoke and better flavor. The cooking grid has a pan attached to catch drips. I use a temp sensor set - one for the grid and one inserted in to the meat. Put in the meat, insert the probe and close the lid. Takes about 5 hours to reach 165. Then I wrap the meat and put it back in for another 5 - hours at 200 - 225. If the coals don't last long enough, I put it in the oven. This spreads a wonderful aroma throughout the house. This roast was fall-apart tender with no hard bark but lots of flavor due to the coating mixture I use. I save the juice in the foil and add it to the pulled pork.

Attachments

• smoker outside.jpg
    smoker outside.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 9
  • smoker fire basket.jpg
    smoker fire basket.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 9
  • smoker inside.jpg
    smoker inside.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 10
  • smoker cooking rack.jpg
    smoker cooking rack.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 10
  • pork roast.jpg
    pork roast.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 7
A little "wood fired" pizza. Ok it was pellet fired on my Traeger.
49c190bdd6ba6f8ab24623737f1c1a2b.jpg
87adb47ceff23e3f7f3aacb8eb607b0e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back