Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to pick this one up one end at a time to get on the mill ,skid loader wanted to tip forward on me ,28 inch bar would not work on this one so put the 32 on ,i think i am pushing the limits of this little chainsaw mill that is rated for 14 inch logs lol .Top broke out of this tree at 75-80 feet you guys have any tips to prevent braking the tops out ? Or is it unavoidable sometimes ? I think the bushy branches up high had no where to collapse into ,i fell it alongside a road also so was pretty hard gravel base .I notice in the softer dirt the limbs just stick into the ground .KIMG1972.JPG KIMG1969.JPG

I had to pick this one up one end at a time to get on the mill ,skid loader wanted to tip forward on me ,28 inch bar would not work on this one so put the 32 on ,i think i am pushing the limits of this little chainsaw mill that is rated for 14 inch logs lol .Top broke out of this tree at 75-80 feet you guys have any tips to prevent braking the tops out ? Or is it unavoidable sometimes ? I think the bushy branches up high had no where to collapse into ,i fell it alongside a road also so was pretty hard gravel base .I notice in the softer dirt the limbs just stick into the ground .View attachment 597253 View attachment 597257
Sometimes no matter how hard you try the sob will break or shatter sometimes helping them hold on the stump as long as possible can help.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I had to pick this one up one end at a time to get on the mill ,skid loader wanted to tip forward on me ,28 inch bar would not work on this one so put the 32 on ,i think i am pushing the limits of this little chainsaw mill that is rated for 14 inch logs lol .Top broke out of this tree at 75-80 feet you guys have any tips to prevent braking the tops out ? Or is it unavoidable sometimes ? I think the bushy branches up high had no where to collapse into ,i fell it alongside a road also so was pretty hard gravel base .I notice in the softer dirt the limbs just stick into the ground .View attachment 597253 View attachment 597257
Fall em up hill if possible, flat ish face lots of hold wood, it will pull more fiber but... the less optimal way is to brush neighboring trees, but this leads to lots of widow makers

Fall em up hill if possible, flat ish face lots of hold wood, it will pull more fiber but... the less optimal way is to brush neighboring trees, but this leads to lots of widow makers
I have 3 fir on a steep hillside i need to get out for the sawmill ,last time i tried a cedar uphill it slid down at me,did not like that so i side fell the rest ,should i 45 degree them up hill maybe to help get them out easier ? ?

I have 3 fir on a steep hillside i need to get out for the sawmill ,last time i tried a cedar uphill it slid down at me,did not like that so i side fell the rest ,should i 45 degree them up hill maybe to help get them out easier ? ?
Always try to quart them down a hill with a open face or block them.

if its steep, side hill em or slightly up hill, going straight up hill provides for trying to run straight down hill. opinions vary of course. But the whole idea is to slow em down and not give em as far to gain speed.

Hard ground is hard on trees though, so sometimes is just doesn't matter.

also if yer going to be pulling them down hill... (don't, if it can be avioded) then you have to use yer best judgment as to whats going to be safe, and effecient, straight down hill makes for less dragging cable up hill, but could potentially break more wood, but if you don't have a bunch of stumps/rocks to smack then slightly down hill is better. Its all down to the ground and where you have to skid from. In the end, safety trumps saving logs.

if its steep, side hill em or slightly up hill, going straight up hill provides for trying to run straight down hill. opinions vary of course. But the whole idea is to slow em down and not give em as far to gain speed.

Hard ground is hard on trees though, so sometimes is just doesn't matter.

also if yer going to be pulling them down hill... (don't, if it can be avioded) then you have to use yer best judgment as to whats going to be safe, and effecient, straight down hill makes for less dragging cable up hill, but could potentially break more wood, but if you don't have a bunch of stumps/rocks to smack then slightly down hill is better. Its all down to the ground and where you have to skid from. In the end, safety trumps saving logs.
Downhill is a valley with creek at bottom ,they have to come uphill to a 12 foot wide road ,i have 150 foot of cable and a couple blocks i use ,have to short log them 25 foot or less ,i dont have a skidder just skid loader or my truck i can borrow a 580 case dozer if need to ,but i try to avoid using other peoples machines when possible.

Quarter them up the hill a little if you can. Sometimes a steep snipe in the bottom of your face will help them slide off the stump to where the butt hits first and slows everything down a little.
It doesn't always work but in brittle wood it gives you an extra cushion.
And sometimes nothing works and they blow up anyway.

Went uphill sideways top of the tree 6 feet from the road ,thing was very heavy ,had to borrow the cat ,26 footers was doing nose wheelies with the dozer yarding up the hill with a block up above in a tree ,of course the heavy end rolled to the bottom ,1 26 footer and 2 13 foots ,had to buck them short to move them.i would not make money doing this stuff ,took me most of the day from like 1 pm till dark for 1 tree . ,Have 2 more like this one i am not looking forward too now .,steep hills make it into work .KIMG1982.JPG KIMG1985.JPG KIMG1986.JPG KIMG1987.JPG KIMG1988.JPG KIMG1993.JPG

Went uphill sideways top of the tree 6 feet from the road ,thing was very heavy ,had to borrow the cat ,26 footers was doing nose wheelies with the dozer yarding up the hill with a block up above in a tree ,of course the heavy end rolled to the bottom ,1 26 footer and 2 13 foots ,had to buck them short to move them.i would not make money doing this stuff ,took me most of the day from like 1 pm till dark for 1 tree . ,Have 2 more like this one i am not looking forward too now .,steep hills make it into work .View attachment 597685 View attachment 597686 View attachment 597687 View attachment 597688 View attachment 597690 View attachment 597692
How big of a cat?

The right equipment for the job is always huge. I did a clear cut for a house site and then a little select in the woods around it. I got the site done but then it got too wet to get the woods done with out rutting the **** out of it. So he tried for two days with his little tractor to drag and stack logs. He got about 10 of em. When it did dry I got the other 100 in about 3 hours. He was dumb founded at how much time he had wasted.

Sounds like it'd be a good excuse to rent a 450 Deere with a winch and arch to finish out so you don't tear up a relationship with a neighbor.

Sounds like it'd be a good excuse to rent a 450 Deere with a winch and arch to finish out so you don't tear up a relationship with a neighbor.

He is my step dad ,he says the keys are in it,If i ever need it ,I wish he still had his John deer shovel and skidder now , He sold them when retired .Along with the dementional sawmill .A lot of cool toys that save a lot of time.The yarder and motorized carriage too went.also.

Whens the last time you tried renting something with a winch on it?

Most of the rental places around here say their insurance won't cover it.

Though I've never tried industrial type rentals... aka pape, or nc

Back