Stihl MS261 or Husqvarna 545?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't do any muffler mods or porting. I do remove the spark arrestor.

I run 40:1 canned fuel at the moment. We just recently got a new gas station in town that sells E-Free gas. As soon as my canned fuel get used up, I'll be going back to mixing my own fuel.

Don't for a second be afraid of opening up the muffler. Simple easy and very effective.

261mm 001.JPG

No plans for any modding. I'm one of those boring guys that keeps most things stock. I asked about running something other that 50:1 and the guys at the dealer looked at me like I was crazy. I'm open to suggestions on the mixture ratio. Obviously will be running ethanol free fuel. Also looking for suggestions on a file/sharpening system that will work in the field? Oh and thanks, I'm pretty excited.
Leaving it stock.. blasphemy.. you should have gone for 70cc or above in that case! Nah I love modding saws but new ones seem to shiny to mod so I see your point of view.

Yes I have old Poulan's like that and they run fine, but than again they're built just a little different. I don't think anyone would say dust getting past the filter is a positive, and that's not hype, just common sense.

Wow I forgot just how touchy people get about chainsaws.

Take it easy.

Andre.
Exactly, common sense is what tell's us why manufacturers are providing the filter elements like they do. Do chainsaws really need in their pro lifespan of 2-4 years the ultra micron filter element and without really die of dust injestion? I have never heard or read of such an event in all the years I have been a member here and on other forums even from our australian members. So that is the reaason I say "paranoia". Kind of the same topic of which two stroke oil or ratio will let your saw live the longest.
When you sometimes see pro abused chainsaws which haven't been cleaned since their unpackin, one is truely amazed what these saws can stand up to.

Not trying to pee on your porch or picking a fight, just trying to bring back reallity to a sometimes overblown topic.

Exactly, common sense is what tell's us why manufacturers are providing the filter elements like they do. Do chainsaws really need in their pro lifespan of 2-4 years the ultra micron filter element and without really die of dust injestion? I have never heard or read of such an event in all the years I have been a member here and on other forums even from our australian members. So that is the reaason I say "paranoia". Kind of the same topic of which two stroke oil or ratio will let your saw live the longest.
When you sometimes see pro abused chainsaws which haven't been cleaned since their unpackin, one is truely amazed what these saws can stand up to.

Not trying to pee on your porch or picking a fight, just trying to bring back reallity to a sometimes overblown topic.

Actually many saws have failed from dust ingestion. In Australia the 3120 or the 088 "can't remember which one" had major problems caused by dust, so much so they offered a special filter kit from the factory. I've also seen my fair share of shot bearings filled with dust and thin piston skirts. So yes in many environments dust is a major problem IMHO.

Is the topic blown out of proportion sometimes? You bet, but than why not improve something so simple, and necessary.[emoji6]

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Vegimite tastes great, you just gotta spread it thin over butter on toast, its good for you too as I think its now a US owned label. Most pro saws here are fitted with the felt not nylon filters. I agree with 7 that saws can manage wood fines a lot more than many think. But I agree with Andy too, who want saw dust, sand, silica etc entering their carb and cylinder. In 2017 it should be very easy to make a filter capable of doing its job. Gee we're a funny bunch most saw users never give one thought to all this stuff. :dizzy:

I vote for the Husqvarna 550XP. Also I find that the saw has better balance with an 18 inch bar.

I am sure the MS 261 is a good saw, but the Husqvarna will just plain out cut a Stihl, at least in my opinion and I have owned quite a few Stihl saws before I went with all Husqvarna.

Also if you need some small parts like filters etc, you can order them online. Try that will a Stihl and you will most likely hit a brick wall.
I feel very much better with any Stihl I have handled with an 18" bar . All the Husky saws I have used with 18" bars seem to over do a part of my back (18" even worse then shorter bars) and usually about 15 minutes I have a sore back. 20" bars fit me much better and 16" feel better then 18" for me. My right arm doesn't fully extend due to a past shoulder injury and I expect that plays into it, but any way, don't seem to have any back problems running the Stihls. Jonsereds and Dolmars feel Ok but I like the feel of Stihls and its handle angle best of all I used.
Cutting all out with either 1 of those saws would be like taking off running full speed to me. I'd be slowing down in less then 30 seconds and collapse if I didn't take a break shortly, I expect .
I guess i can't order from Stihl dealers but I work on mostly Stihls when I do and don't seem to have hang ups finding parts for them online. As far as finding a dealer with parts, that seems to be an advantage around here, even some of the small towns have a couple with JD dealers handling them now.

Vegimite tastes great, you just gotta spread it thin over butter on toast, its good for you too as I think its now a US owned label. Most pro saws here are fitted with the felt not nylon filters. I agree with 7 that saws can manage wood fines a lot more than many think. But I agree with Andy too, who want saw dust, sand, silica etc entering their carb and cylinder. In 2017 it should be very easy to make a filter capable of doing its job. Gee we're a funny bunch most saw users never give one thought to all this stuff. :dizzy:

As far as I know, Veggimite is produced by Kraft foods. Not available in the States. We half to settle for Marmite which goes great on pretzels. It is also good on rye or pumpernickel toast.

We do a lot of dead wooding and removal of dry dead trees. Never had a problem with either the 346xps or 550xp filters and we don’t oil them. Got to believe this filter nonsense is just some stihlhead paranoia.

As of now I no longer own a Stihl saw. Stihl filters were pretty bad just a few years back, and the 661 is having major issues with the base of the filter not sealing at all. No real issues with the 346, the 550 is a different story, and the 562 fits tighter and works well enough.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I've got two 661s and have no problems with the base of either filter sealing. One of the few filters I don't put grease around the connection to seal. All my Huskies I grease.

Back