Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fancy smancy "hand" forged gransfors bruks/husqvarna stuff is cool and all...

but a giant press with a lackey rotating the heads through a set of dies is really Drop Forged and not worth the extra $200.

A good quality machine made axe such as old Craftsmen, Plumb, Council etc will serve you just as well, if not better, and yer not going to cry when you loose it.

of the three listed I think council is the only one still making current production stuff tha'ts worth the $50 or so, and still made in merica.

Collins, or any of the hardware store stuff is pretty much chinesium junk.

what ever ya do get one with a flat pole for whacking wedges.

This lil husqvarna 26 inch handle guy is what i have been using ,it tips the trees over fine ,but the head is coming off now .I will look up council ,the 3.5 or 4 may be a good size ,I like the oregon wedges ,have grips on one side so don't spit out ,helps if have to stack them .View attachment 601717

Other then the pepsi bottle I was trying to figure out how ya got a pic of my crummy?

I don't mind paying up to a couple hundred on a good tool ,if it does a good job ,i will be peeling bark also with it. Gransfors makes nice ones have not found right type in that brand though
I'll dig around I bet I have a spare head or two I could send one in a flat rate box.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The fancy smancy "hand" forged gransfors bruks/husqvarna stuff is cool and all...

but a giant press with a lackey rotating the heads through a set of dies is really Drop Forged and not worth the extra $200.

A good quality machine made axe such as old Craftsmen, Plumb, Council etc will serve you just as well, if not better, and yer not going to cry when you loose it.

of the three listed I think council is the only one still making current production stuff tha'ts worth the $50 or so, and still made in merica.

Collins, or any of the hardware store stuff is pretty much chinesium junk.

what ever ya do get one with a flat pole for whacking wedges.
Matt do you know why you can't land jobs? Clean up for one and quit trying to be a logger and a faller they're different if you thing they're the same that's why you're going under I learned this from my dad.

Other then the pepsi bottle I was trying to figure out how ya got a pic of my crummy?
That truck is my yarder ,the cable is 150 foot ,the block chain and nearest fir tree above is my tower lol.it gets them up the hill .feel like batman using the cable to walk back up the hills

Matt do you know why you can't land jobs? Clean up for one and quit trying to be a logger and a faller they're different if you thing they're the same that's why you're going under I learned this from my dad.

You assume a lot.

I have plenty of work, probably enough to pull the plug on the day job, just not enough in the bank as yet so if something happens I don't go bankrupt over night.

I stopped advertising in January, yet I still get 2-3 calls a week.

Matt does things the way he does because it works for him. There is no other standard.
It's his outfit, he makes it go, and if he's happy with the way things are nobody should suggest that he do anything differently.
Everybody, every outfit, and every job is different. A man defines his goals and works toward them. His methods are, as they should be, of his own choosing.

I need some suggestions for an axe for pounding wedges that is a chopping axe also not a splitting one ,my 26 husqvarna does it ,but the head is kind of light for wedges and is coming loose from it ,whats a good one to get ? Be nice if it sticks in the tree like the husky one does to hold it while cutting .It needs to be able to chop also in case i pinch the bar and have to cut it out .

Overnight in a bucket of coolant will tighten that head right up.

Check out the Stihl axes. I'm not sure what it is about them, but they really make a wedge move.....when I have a tired moment......which never happens......

Whats the trick to getting the lower face to line up both corners in one shot ? Sometimes i get lucky ,other times i have to clean out the face a little for a nice wedge shape .

Whats the trick to getting the lower face to line up both corners in one shot ? Sometimes i get lucky ,other times i have to clean out the face a little for a nice wedge shape .

Practice mostly...

When possible, it works best on taller stumps... but make yer gun cut then point the bar perpendicular to the cut, and angle it down or up what ever, to create the face, use the dogs to pivot around, if you start with the saw level to the gun cut it should line up fairly close.

Other wise its a visualization thing. And copious amounts of practice, a lot like archery without sights.

Another trick that helps for not cutting to far, is to use the sight lines on yer saw, aim for something specific when gunning it, and line it up again for the slope portion.

I still clean out about every 3rd one or so, the important thing is to not chase yer cuts, trust the gun cut, and hopefully stop before you over cut, its better to make multiple cuts in the right direction then to chase yer hold wood away and loose all semblance of accuracy, chunking the face out happens, one of the reasons folks should carry an axe and not some doofy hammer for beating wedges.

I've never seen a vertical snipe like that but I can't see a single reason why it wouldn't be every bit as effective as the usual sloped one and maybe a bit easier. Yet another trick I'll have to remember.
Not enough stump left for the sloped version...

easier to cut too.

Hi there Northman, I''m not familiar with some of you folk's terms, I'm guessing your snipe is what I'd call a scarf. Anyhow I hav'nt ever seen a cut like that before, was wondering what was the purpose of cutting a section out of the bottom of your scrarf? cheers

Hi there Northman, I''m not familiar with some of you folk's terms, I'm guessing your snipe is what I'd call a scarf. Anyhow I hav'nt ever seen a cut like that before, was wondering what was the purpose of cutting a section out of the bottom of your scrarf? cheers
To get the butt to sit down and power through the standing timber.

its a step cut to accommodate a lower stump. normally a simple steeper slope works fine.

Replay it and you can watch it tip off and then just drop like a rock.

Practice. All the rest of us hit our mark every time. Perfect matches without fail. Every time.
Wanna buy a bridge?

Practice. All the rest of us hit our mark every time. Perfect matches without fail. Every time.
Wanna buy a bridge?
Seems like if i start right below the face to humbolt it it's a crapshoot if the bar walks or not ,if i dog in the corner of my first cut 50 50 chance of hitting the other corner ,not sure if the oregon light bar is helping or hurting me sometimes ,it flexes a bit more then my es light or the cannon.

I am referring to bigger trees 28 or larger where you can not see the other side when cutting .

Back