Insect identification request.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like one of the longhorn beetles in the genus Clytus, maybe C. arietis (wasp beetle) or a similar one, and although the larvae feed on decidious trees, I don't think these ones would likely kill a tree unless it has a lot of other issues. The Asian Longhorn Beetle (A. glabripennis) is the really destructive one. Someone a little more familiar with the longhorn beetles in the midwest might chime in with an identification. I think C. arietis is a European species, but there might be a similar looking one around here (C. ruricola maybe?) with those patterns.

You're right... it does. I stand corrected. Damn bugs, too many look-alikes and copycats in the insect world. They're trying to confuse us before the invasion.

Not bright enough yellow and pattern doesn't really match locust borer, but it certainly is a closely related species. I'm going with Neoclytus scutellaris. They would be a secondary pest, attacking already stressed trees.

Latest posts

Back