Firewood on pallets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. Next to your body you can probably curl a lot. Hold your arms out straight, not so much. And you would probably blow your back out trying. A tractor bucket sticks out there a long ways. The 6,500 pound rating is at 2' extension to center of forks, and that's probably with the stabilizers down, not traveling. The trade off is that this is a dedicated machine for lifting heavier weight, and not versatile like a tractor, both in what it can do and trailering. I have since switched to pallets and netting. 4' dia. x 5' high: 1/4 cord tightly stacked. Guessing 1,500 green Oak, 1,000 pounds seasoned. (These racks are still free to a good home if anyone is close by and can use them. Maybe twenty left. As-is, you pick up. They are easily covered.)
Edit: As a side note, the pallets and netting is the best seasoned wood I've ever done. Small amounts, loose thrown, off the ground, sun and air flow.
0901121456a.jpgIMG_1098.jpgIMG_1300.jpgIMG_3628.jpg

Not to venture too far off topic, but...

The Kioti NX series are basically newer versions of the DK's which are pretty well known as being brutes. The thing that convinced me to go with Kioti was the loader lift specs seemed to be at the top of the scale when compared to most other brands, and the price point was considerably cheaper than Kubota, Mahindra, Deere, Massey, New Holland, etc. The 2800 lbs lift capacity is indeed at the pin, but it is at full height which is 9' off the ground. At say 2' off the ground, the lift capacity would be higher. I saw a video where a guy withg a Kubota L35 picked up a full half cord and drove with it.
I don't know if the wood is seasoned or green, but its a half cord, and out 4' or so.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...7ED99165D8F8F7DDAEE67ED99165D8F8F7D&FORM=VIRE

According to my research the LA854 loader in the video at the pin, full height has about a 2500# lift capacity. My machine is very comparable size wise to this Kubota, so I think I could lift the half cord, but I'm not sure I want to regularly. I have little doubt the 1/3rd cord pallets will be a problem, even when green.

You could just take a skid, cut some 30" 2x4's and screw them to the sides of the skid. Fill er up and you will be fine. Or, you can build something like this[photo=medium]3164[/photo]

My kingdom for a forklift. Going up vertically with firewood pallets that wrap around makes sense -- but the forklift is a must to make it work.

So, I stack up rows 7' high, crib stacking the ends of the rows. A crib stack (criss-cross) doesn't care how long the stack is. That may be its biggest feature. It also dries faster. Sometimes I crib stack every six feet.

Well, I ending up getting more pallets than I needed. About 45 total. There are many more if I want them. Common sizes seem to be 33"x40", 40"x40", 40"x48", and 48"x48". The leftover pallets will get used for implement storage and I think a wood pallet lean-to is in order.

I have 2 18x9 pallets that had 80k pound industrial machines on them. Should work ok.
4bf3e850dae2131999dbe28b2dbe25a2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hey Sandhill , how does that lift do on surface others than paved?

They are considered "off road" so I'd imagine does well.

That certainly is something to consider if buying one. A skid steer is a good compromise too. Decent lift ability and useful for lots of other things.
Tractor as well, though generally not able to lift so much.

We have a 12,000lb rated Lift All brand "lumber yard" forklift. Works well, but it's a beast and takes what seems like 20 acres to manuever.

That certainly is something to consider if buying one. A skid steer is a good compromise too. Decent lift ability and useful for lots of other things.
Tractor as well, though generally not able to lift so much.
I have often thought a skid steer might work out better as an all round machine, and more easily trailered now that I'm not lifting as big a loads. I would certainly miss using side shift with pallets though.
To answer your question about off road, it works very well. One wheel drive/all wheel drive selector. Right foot and/or hand throttle. Left foot travel speed/direction. 60 hp Kubota just runs a hydraulic pump. The Hippo tires are industrial tread, and piss poor in snow. It compacts snow to a glaze and then side slips if there is a crown, and if not, your stuck on a flat spot spinning. Ashes work good. Turning the key off till spring works better. Now that I'm used to the foot peddles, it would be hard to imagine using anything else, especially in tight spots. Nothing fancy about it but it is great! Lots of other choices: skid steers, tele-handlers, tractors, wheel loaders, etc.

I store all my firewood an pallets. The last couple of years I have been changing up my strategy to make life easier. Here is one of the shorts and uglys crate I built. All my firewood goes in ones similar, just different bracing to allow easy stacking and removal. I have a few of these that are 3 years old and still holding up fine. I do place them on other pallets to keep them off the ground. My tractor cannot lift a full rack of green wood but it can barely lift a full load of seasoned wood. Just have to steer wit the brakes every once in a while. Had my wife sit on the front of the tractor once for ballast..IMG_0082.JPG

Here's a palletizing method I started a couple years ago.

ef1f519cfa346cc9d51d92777be9b3d2.jpg

994e09f1c41b3f7a0fed2489d38552f1.jpg

Works awesome for reducing handling and seasoning. That's until you need to move them and it's a warm, wet winter.

0ef7668b4a16b3ddaa4120add71133db.jpg

d03f8010019c140abe941cbde70ab2cd.jpg

Now I stack in the yard to season for a year and then it's under a leantoo for a year next to the garage. But I do still use the pallets, but just to stack on.

Sent from a field

Casey, believe I have seen yours before on another post. I thought about copying your idea but didn't like the idea of having to bend over to get the wood out of it. I don't even like my bin for the shorts and uglys for that reason, but they are a necessary evil. My others are pretty much open on two sides to easily allow stacking and removal

Casey, believe I have seen yours before on another post. I thought about copying your idea but didn't like the idea of having to bend over to get the wood out of it. I don't even like my bin for the shorts and uglys for that reason, but they are a necessary evil. My others are pretty much open on two sides to easily allow stacking and removal

The baskets weren't attached to the pallets. Get about half way down and they could be pulled off leaving the wood.

Sent from a field

In my particular case, I won't be selling any wood. It will strictly be for my own use. I'd like to make the pallets in such a way so that I can dump the wood directly into my bulkhead. Likely two sides will be open and two will have 2x4 supports. If I was selling it palletized, I'd use plastic wrap or chicken wire I think.

Back