020AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssm1699

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a top handle Stihl 020AV that I know is giving me some issues now. I have been looking for an IPL for it, but all I can find is for the 020. Are they the same, just the only diff is the mounts for the handle? The last time I used, I had the fuel boiling in the tank. I attributed that to the fact that I was running low octane fuel in it and I had seen posts on here that said their exact same saw did that if they ran low octane fuel. Went to higher grade and it went away. I went to start it yesterday and it took for ever to get a pop out of it. When it would finally run, I had to have the choke almost always on. If I took it off choke, it would scream up in rpms, for a few seconds and die. I have yet to do a comp check on it and I have no way to do a pressure/vac test, as I don't have the pieces to put on for blocking it off. I haven't pulled the muffler to look at the cylinder either. I am figuring it is still running the original seals still, so I bet they are due for replacement. Thanks for any help.

Yep same saw im sure. Sounds like a carb issue. Put a kit in the carb and replace fuel and pulse lines and see where that gets ya. Pretty cheap and easy to do. If its still funny then you may have an air leak.

Yep same saw im sure. Sounds like a carb issue. Put a kit in the carb and replace fuel and pulse lines and see where that gets ya. Pretty cheap and easy to do. If its still funny then you may have an air leak.

I am thinking for sure of doing the fuel line and impulse line. The carb was rebuilt right after I got, which was only about 4 or 5 years ago. The carb needing rebuilt is why it was being sold in the first place, when I bought it. I guess it could need a carb kit again, since it doesn't get used all that often. Is there another option for carb on those, as it has a tillotson carb. It was the pickiest carb I have ever messed with. Thanks again.

I would say that I have probably found the problem with my 020AV. Got the side pulled off and found this.20160816_194000[1].jpg
I replaced the impulse line with new and got it all back together. Went outside to test it and the starter cord broke on me. I decided to quit for tonight, as this is the second saw I worked on tonight.

What is everyones opinion of the air filter options for the 020? You have the woven mesh filter or the flocked filter. Which is better? Mine currently has the woven mesh.

I guess I don't understand this posting Harley, sorry. Mine is a top handle and I have the IPL from Mediacat. My questions is what is everyones opinion of which is better, the woven mesh air filter or the flocked filter? My 020AV currently has the woven air filter.

OP to be clear this is not the saw you have right? You have the predecessor t
I have a top handle Stihl 020AV that I know is giving me some issues now. I have been looking for an IPL for it, but all I can find is for the 020. Are they the same, just the only diff is the mounts for the handle? The last time I used, I had the fuel boiling in the tank. I attributed that to the fact that I was running low octane fuel in it and I had seen posts on here that said their exact same saw did that if they ran low octane fuel. Went to higher grade and it went away. I went to start it yesterday and it took for ever to get a pop out of it. When it would finally run, I had to have the choke almost always on. If I took it off choke, it would scream up in rpms, for a few seconds and die. I have yet to do a comp check on it and I have no way to do a pressure/vac test, as I don't have the pieces to put on for blocking it off. I haven't pulled the muffler to look at the cylinder either. I am figuring it is still running the original seals still, so I bet they are due for replacement. Thanks for any help.
You have the 020AV the 020 T is not the same this is a 020TIMG_1380.JPG

Anyone ever done an ignition update/change on one of these saws, from the points to electronic? I was thinking of using an aftermarket Electronic Ignition Module, when my points wear out, if it has them.

You can replace the points and cap with a coil from a 020t or ms200t. The flywheel is the same but you need to re-route the kill wire.

That is what I was wanting to know. I have no problems with rerouting the kill wire. It was just the fact that at the cost of a set of points for this thing, I figured it might have been about the same cost to move it to an electronic ignition system. What is your feelings on the air filter options for the 020 saws? Mine currently has the woven mesh screen. I just wonder if it is just as good as the flocked filter.

Well, I have finally gotten it put back together with a new starter cord. Fired right up and purred. Adjusted the carb and just sings right along in the cut. My only complaint is that I wish 1/4" pitch chain wasn't so expensive. That is what my saw is setup for and I haven't been able to find the oil pump gear to move it to 3/8 picco. Is picco and LP the same thing?

And just so all are clear, yes I have the older, all mag 020AV. I knew that it and the 020T weren't the same. I just wasn't sure if the 020 and the 020AV were the same. I have 2 saws of the same displacement now, but still 2 totally different machines. The Stihl runs a lot higher RPMs then the Craftsman/Poulan. But they are both good running machines and perform well. The weight difference between the 2 is actually noticeable. According to Chain saw collectors corner, the craftsman/poulan 2000 weights 9.5lbs with a 14" b&c. The 020 weighs 9.7 with a 12" b&c. My 020AV has a 14" hard tip bar on it. I need to get pics of it. It is actually in pretty good shape, just dirty.

Stuart

Latest posts

Back