026 carb problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred1799

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to all this chain saw stuff. I have a Stihl 026. Starts and idles fine but when i go to cut wood the saw's rpm goes up by itself. Runs for a few seconds and then quits. Starts right back up and does the same thing over and over.Any help on where to start would be great or should I be taking it to a dealer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

what kind of carb is it? Is it fully adjustable?

Hi,

It's the original carb. Yes it has adjustment screws in it. I haven't done anything with them. Wanted to do some research before i started messing with it.

Sounds to me like the engine is leaning out, essentially running out of gas. This is sometimes caused by the fuel tank vent not working so air cannot get in the tank and gas can`t get to the carb. A plugged fuel filter, cracked fuel line to the carb, cracked impulse line or cracked/ torn carb boot can also cause this problem. Even the high and low settings on the jet screws could be the culprit or the carb may need a cleaning or a kit if the diaphragms are hardened,cracked or torn. A lot to look at but all have to be eliminated in an unknown reason for this problem.
Pioneerguy600

Back