026 leaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

west041

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I picked up a nice, little used 026 off Craigslist on Saturday. Described by the seller as excellent shape, ready to work. It is one of the earlier ones with the metal tag and solid white gas tank. The day I bought it, the guy who sold it to me was very late and so by the time he showed up I only had time to fire it up briefly and give it a once over because the wife was waiting for me to get home to help put the kid to bed, etc, etc. Well today I had some time so I gave it a thorough cleaning, replaced the plug and a missing fastener and got ready to fire it up so I could tune the carb.
First off, the chainsaw had a half tank of gas but was completely drained of bar oil, which I found very odd. So I filled it right up and went about tuning the carb. After about 15 seconds of running it is very apparent that this saw has some issues. There is bar oil leaking from all different areas around the sprocket cover. So I pull the sprocket cover and have a look for about a minute and when I turn it back over there is gas leaking out from somewhere on the fuel tank. So two issues right off the bat.
All I've done so far is I pulled an identical gas cap off my other 026 and verified that it is not the cap that is leaking. I have to dig into it a little further to find the gas leak, I'm hoping that it is a fuel line (or the fuel tank vent?) and not a $100 tank/handle assembly. I'm worried about the bar oil problem as well, because it seems like too much oil to be that oil tank vent between the bar studs. However I did pull the studs and put the brake cleaner to that vent hole blew it out with some compressed air, and when I get some time when I'm home and the baby isn't sleeping I'm going to put it all back together and fire it up and check for leaks.
I'm basically posting on here to see if anyone has any suggestions for likely culprits. If the saw wasn't so mint looking on the outside I'd be convinced that it got dropped out of a tree and cracked the crankcase and fuel tank, but I can't see any visible damage on it, yet... I'll get pics up soon.

On a side note the seller is not returning my calls or texts. Paid $225 and drove a good way to get it so I'm not too thrilled...

Sorry about your luck. Hope its just a fuel line an not a cracked tank.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

You are in the right place to find help. I build 10 or so of these 026`s each year and own 4 - 5 at any given time. The 026 is a very popular saw so it won`t take long to get yours fixed. Pull the airfilter cover so you can see both the fuel line and the tank vent.

Thanks guys. I know you roll the dice anytime you buy on Craigslist but I've never bought something so misrepresented before. I'll clean up the carb area a little better so I can see what's going on and dig into the sprocket area as well next time I get a chance.

I have the same saw , if it has the white tank vent they tend to start leaking where it is pressed onto the tank. If it happens when you tip it on its side it is probably that

It was leaking bar oil upright, and gas when it was on its side.

It was leaking bar oil upright, and gas when it was on its side.
Probly the fuel line leaking where the line goes through the tank. is thr oil just leaking where the oil hole is. I got a couple saw that do that. I just jam a rag up in there so they dont make a mess. i think my 026 is a oil leaker.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Take off the clutch and see what's going on, make sure the oiler is attached correctly and the line is in good shape.

Thanks for all the great info guys. This is my first experience with the 026/260 series so I didn't know what common points of failure they had. My 041 leaked where that grommet ran through the tank and it was an easy fix once I tracked down the part. I should have some time to pull it apart on Tuesday night.

The clutch is left handed threads. The standard 026 oils as soon as the engine cranks and idles. Post pictures of the carb box area, and the clutch side without the sprocket and clutch where the oil pump can be seen.

Here's what you'll find. Your oiler will be a bit different but same setup. You probably have a loose/cracked oil line (right top of the oiler), or the oiler isn't seated on the grommet from the oil pickup line (lower right on the oiler). Usually it's the line, but when you buy used equipment you never know.

image.jpeg

I just picked up a nice metal tag 026 gas leaks when turned on side. I bet it's p/n 1110-353-1600 a valve goes in tank where vent is. That's what mine was.

Leaving gas in them for a long time hardens the fuel lines in my opinion and it sounds like you have a classic sign with it leaking on its side. I'd bet on a new oil line as well, pretty tough old saws... From the looks of it she has a good case of shelf rot. Not a bad purchase yet my man

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Pretty clean saw. Probably minor fix and then you'll have a great saw. I used one tonight to take down and cut up an oak leaning towards a house. The saw I used was purchased by my family in 1990 and I've been using it since that time.

Ok guys, long delay but got everything cleaned up and pictures taken. The tank vent leaks as shown in the picture. Took the carb off and checked the fuel line there and that looks fine and I believe the intake boot looks fine.
IMG_0457.JPG

I cleaned up that area around the mount as best as I could and it still leaks. Can I just buy a new part # 1121 350 5800 and slap it on? It doesn't look like there is any gasket or o-ring in there, seems like the connection is just plastic to plastic there, which I thought was an odd choice of design. Anyway, if I can just buy a new vent that is an easy fix.

Starting taking the clutch area apart. When I bought the saw I picked it up and gave her a pull, it had extremely high idle and the chain brake was already in the on position. Obviously I flipped the brake off immediately but it led me to think that if this was the standard operating procedure, then the previous owner probably had roached the clutch a few times. Pictures show I was right:
IMG_0416.JPG
IMG_0418.JPG

Something got hot in there more than once. So I've got a used clutch to throw in there.

Here's the oil pump area after a cleaning:
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG

I didn't notice any obvious cracking or wear on the oil line but I think replacing it would be a good start as it seems to be the most obvious culprit. How does that oil line come out? Can you just push it out with a screwdriver? Any advice for finding the leak? I was thinking about putting the fuel side of the saw back together once I get my parts and idling it with everything off the clutch side to see the leaking, but I wanted to ask, can you damage it by even just idling it with the clutch off? I wouldn't want to put excess stress on the crankshaft by running it in an unbalanced situation. Wanted to check with you guys before I tried it, or see if there were any other tricks other than just guessing and replacing parts until it stops. Thanks in advance.

Back