026 leaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Side note - saw was run rich for a good while. Ton of carbon in the muffler, on the plug, and exhaust stains on the clutch cover (visible in first pic). I pulled the muffler and luckily the p&c look good.

You can run it with the clutch off no problem. It won't hurt a thing but it will spit the oiler drive out as soon as it starts. So running to find the leak won't work well.

Didn't think of that, I think I can spin the clutch back on without putting the plastic cover on so I'll still be able to see the leak and the oiler drive will stay in place.

The clutch will have to have your drum over it or it will come apart. Try it without the clutch or reinstall everything. Hope that helps.

I think if I just leave the plastic off I'll be able to see enough to find the leak. By clutch I meant clutch/drum/sprocket/etc

If you have to run it to findthe leak it probably isn't leaking. Those saws pump oil constantly when running. My 026 used more bar oil than my 660

One other possibility on the bar oil leak. My 034 AV drips a twinge through the bar studs, maybe a drop a day. I could probably fix it by removing the studs and coating them with thread lock sealer but I'm too lazy. Neither of my 026 PROs leak bar oil.

Thanks for the input. When the new fuel tank vent comes in the mail I'll put it all together and fire it up with the sprocket cover off

Just a word of caution. When you put the clutch back on, make sure it is on TIGHT, if you are tempted to run it without the bar and chain. If it's not tight and you rev it up, then back off on the throttle, the inertia of the clutch will keep it spinning and it will unscrew itself from the crankshaft and become a deadly rotating missile bouncing around the shop. LEFT HAND THREADS.

Just a word of caution. When you put the clutch back on, make sure it is on TIGHT, if you are tempted to run it without the bar and chain. If it's not tight and you rev it up, then back off on the throttle, the inertia of the clutch will keep it spinning and it will unscrew itself from the crankshaft and become a deadly rotating missile bouncing around the shop. LEFT HAND THREADS.

Thank you. I've pulled more than a few of them off and they're always tough coming off so I torque 'em on pretty tight when I put them back on. I was only going to idle it without the bar/chain on it. I don't think it's very good for it to start piss revving it with no load.

image.jpeg
I cleaned up that area around the mount as best as I could and it still leaks. Can I just buy a new part # 1121 350 5800 and slap it on? It doesn't look like there is any gasket or o-ring in there, seems like the connection is just plastic to plastic there, which I thought was an odd choice of design. Anyway, if I can just buy a new vent that is an easy fix.

My 026 was leaking gas on side just like yours new vent didn't help needed this goes inside the tank Hope this helpsimage.jpeg

View attachment 484661

My 026 was leaking gas on side just like yours new vent didn't help needed this goes inside the tank Hope this helpsView attachment 484661

This is only one type of several different types of vents used on this saw and I don't believe that this is the one for his particular tank. The EPA got more concerned about evaporative emissions and went to tighter and tighter tank vent arrangements. I think that the OP's may just be the "slow leak" arrangement which might leak if turned on its side.

image.jpegTank vent image.jpeginside tank image.jpeg No ventimage.jpeg vent top view
This is only one type of several different types of vents used on this saw and I don't believe that this is the one for his particular tank. The EPA got more concerned about evaporative emissions and went to tighter and tighter tank vent arrangements. I think that the OP's may just be the "slow leak" arrangement which might leak if turned on its side.

I think this part is for EPA it is in conjunction with tank vent?

West041 when you look at your saw pull Tank vent off see if it has a hole like my pic and if the part is present if not it could be you problem? Just trying to help.

That may be why your gas is leaking I listed p/n on page one? Mine got a new tank vent didn't fix problem then found out they also have those in The tank?
As far as oil leak I'm not sure mine seems like it leaks for days after shutting off and drips the entire time it's running like others have stated. Good luck

Back