028 Wb/028av ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvinmark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Two friends of mine have these and were asking me what the difference is. I couldn't get them side by side cause one guys saw was at home. So what is the difference between them?

Hard to say w/o knowing the vintage of the saws in question. 028s were produced over many years with huge production numbers. There are a few small changes over the years, badging, cover fasteners, fuel tank composition, etc... I don't know any "real" difference between the 028 AVE and the Wood Boss. With the Super there is a bore/power increase, but I've seen the Wood Boss badging on regular and Super models. One of my 028 Supers came with a the Wood Boss sticker on the clutch cover(now long gone) and may say it on the name plate as well, but I've seen non Supers with Wood Boss badging as well.

Maybe Lakeside will jump in with a more diffinitive answer.........

Most of the orginal WB had points and no brake. Later AV had electonic ignition and chain brakes. However... in between, the Wood Boss MARKETING term was used often on intermediate models... and at some point they decided that the 028 was "AV" (anti-vibration... sure..) and started to use that too...

Post pics of both saws...

Most of the orginal WB had points and no brake. Later AV had electonic ignition and chain brakes. However... in between, the Wood Boss MARKETING term was used often on intermediate models... and at some point they decided that the 028 was "AV" (anti-vibration... sure..) and started to use that too...

Andy, were late model Supers marketed as "Wood Boss" as well to your knowledge? My latest Super definitely had the Wood Boss dude on the clutch cover and I think it may say on the top cover badge as well (will go down in the shop and look).

edit; upon further examination my latest 028 reads the following on badge "028 AV SUPER electronic quickstop", but I do remember the sticker on the clutch cover though(could've been put on by dealer?). I got this saw in pristine, like new condition about 16 years ago. My older 028s are more beat up and of muddled history, swapped parts..........

My 028 S is Stihl my goto saw for medium and light duty cutting needs. Never minded the vibrations. Does it transmit feedback through the handles? Yup, but certainly nothing remotely like vintage hard mounted beasts of old.

Last edited:

Thanks, I'll try to get some pics

Back