028 WB Chain Brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotarysound

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is it possible that when the 028 WB first came on the market that it did not include a chain brake or that it was optional? It would be very helpful to know the facts on this.

I just purchased a 028 WB on Ebay that includes a spring activated brake handle/guard but no brake band or linkage hardware. In other words, no brake. In researching replacement parts I have learned that there are several variations of the brake handle for the 028 model and it's difficult to decide what additional parts will work or if other 028 systems will interchange. Will other model 028 brake systems work on the standard 028 WB?

The saw was advertised as low use and Excellent condition w/ 16" bar and .325 chain. The bar turns out to be a sprocket nose Oregon replacement bar. The saw runs good and has 150 psi compression and has the fixed clutch drum with attached spur sprocket...the sprocket is quite worn. Thank you for any comments and guidance on the brake issue.

I believe that the 028 is an old enough model and early versions didn't have a brake.

I think this has been discussed before and that with these early versions it might not be possible to retro fit a brake.

You say spring activated handle? By this do you mean the guard is held in place by a spring?

Yes the torsion spring I think it's called. If you pull the gaurd handle towards the motor it will spring back to a stop location. I called Stihl USA Technical service and was informed that early models (pre 1982) such as the one I have did not include a brake. The person said that a similar age 028 AV brake system and handle should interchange with mine but I would like to be sure.

I recently went through the same ordeal with my 028. Be warned, there are two different versions of the brakes. (I bought the wrong one the first time) The one you probably need is the one where the brake band doesn't cross over itself. (that's the one I needed on my older 028 AV) Complete used brake assemblies show up pretty regularly on Ebay, so keep an eye open for them.

Rreidnauer is right on the money. Same situation here, bought the wrong one at first. I picked up a complet kit on ebay, can get the part number but will take a few days. PM me if you need it.

He described it well also. The earlier version does not cross over and the linkage is a little different on the older version. You will need the correct black plastic gaurd/handle also, as they are different and you need the correct one. Hopefully you can find the right set up without buying the wrong one first-like me and reidnauer:angry: KD

Thanks for the warnings on the 028 chain brakes. There is nothing on Ebay right now and I have contacted several of the Stihl parts sellers on Ebay. If you happen to have the complete assembly part numbers, that may come in handy when the parts become available. Thanks again!

I can't help with the complete assembly PN, but assuming you likely have the acresinternet IPL, the parts you're probably looking for are shown in illustration "L". The part 12 handle is what you currently have on your saw. Like kd460 said, you will need the part 9 handle, along with the rest of the pieces.

This would be a lot easier if it were a Husky. At least they show the complete assembly part number on each page. (and provide IPLs to consumers)

No I do not have acresinternet IPL illustrations. In fact any reference on this forum to that name returns a server not found error.

I do have several other 028 illustrations that include the brake system though.
The local Stihl dealer was able to print one from the parts counter for me today. Anyway the reference numbers do not match the numbers that you mention.

The parts guy suggested that I bring in my 028 power head in tomorrow and chat with the dealer service/repair tech about donor saws from their bone yard that will offer up the parts. This sounds like a good plan and I will see if it works out. When this is over, hopefully I will be able to contribute the forum archive with all of the part numbers for retrofitting a brake system to this model 028.

Alrighty then, I'll list all the required parts, and perhaps that may be of help.

1118 160 5400 - Brake band (available, list $16.97)
1118 162 5220 - Bolt (available, list $3.52)
1118 160 5001 - Lever (a) (NOT AVAILABLE) go figure?
1118 162 7900 - Coil spring (available, list $2.98)
0000 998 1600 - Spring (available, list $3.61)
1118 162 5002 - Lever (b) (available, list $8.98)
1118 162 5001 - Lever (c) (available, list $5.94)
1117 162 8902 - Washer (available, list $1.55)
1118 792 9100 - Hand Guard (available, list $26.46)
1117 791 6005 - Stud (available, list $2.51)
9078 319 0960 - M5 x 12 screw (2 required) (available, list $1.10 ea.)

That is excellent! Thanks for listing those parts. After going to 3 Stihl shops in the area, I finally got the parts. The third place had the complete kit and includes all of the parts that you listed. Talk about luck.<br> The complete kit part number is: 1118 007 1002<br> The part description is: Set Chain Brake Assy.That seems to pretty much make this thread complete for others that want to install a chain brake on the original 028 WB. Thanks for all your help on this.

Why a handle with no brake?

That is excellent! Thanks for listing those parts. After going to 3 Stihl shops in the area, I finally got the parts. The third place had the complete kit and includes all of the parts that you listed. Talk about luck.<br> The complete kit part number is: 1118 007 1002<br> The part description is: Set Chain Brake Assy.That seems to pretty much make this thread complete for others that want to install a chain brake on the original 028 WB. Thanks for all your help on this.

I also have an old 028WB and it has the spring loaded hand guard but no brake function that I can figure out. I thought maybe it was broken and I have to tear it down and service it.

What did you have to do to install the chain brake? I want to install a brake too, or get the broken one on my saw working again. And I plan to do the work myself.

Thanks,
Chris

Hello,

I doubt it's broken but rather came that way when it was new as the brake feature was optional for the early years of the 028 Woodboss. The only way you can tell from the outside is if you can see two screws next to each other where the handle meets the saw on the bar cover side of the saw. If the two screws are not there then it is an early model that has the hand gaurd only. To confirm this you can remove the bar cover, sprocket hardware, Oil pump cover and take a look. If there is no brake band around the clutch then it never had a brake. There is about 5 parts in the kit including the new brake handle and brake band.

To add the brake, these are your options:

1. Find the parts on Ebay. There is currently a complete kit for a 028 AV for sale right now that may work for your saw. This would be your cheapest option.
2. Get a parts diagram for the 028 and try to locate the parts individually if no complete kits are available. Earlier replies to this thread include a link to the 028 parts list.
3. If you have a good local Stihl saw shop and they know how to source parts they may be able to find you a new kit. Or, their service center may have a bone yard with a dead 028 WB that does have the complete brake. This will cost at least $50-$60 as the new kits seem to be rare.

4. Buy another 028 and confirm that it has a functional brake and resell the one you have.

Good luck

Thanks

I'll check those options out. I already run another old saw with no chain brake, so I will keep this 028 even if it doesn't have one.
Thanks for the help.

I should have both brake set ups

There are also very early 028s which do not accept either brake set up without modification.

You both need to post pics with the plastic clutch cover-surround and clutch removed so we can determine which parts you will need.

The very early non chain brake 028s had a flat profile with no bulge where the later brake spring mounts underneath.

My 028 has the cover with the reliefs for what should have been a chain brake, but all it has is a spring loaded handle. This is an old 028, Lakeside said it was way before online manuals, points ignition. The reliefs in the plastic cover look a lot like my 026 and 034 setups which have the chain brake. I inspected the hardware under the cover, and there is no evidence of wear on the drum or the usual places where a chain brake would be.

Yes you describe exactly how my 028 Woodboss was when I got it. Pes+ describes what sounds like an even older version that has no spring relief area on the oil pump cover.

Mine is fixed now but there is currently an Ebay listing ending in 3 days showing the exact parts that were required for my conversion except for the handle which will also be required for the complete conversion. Here is the Listing Item number: 250186494006

I attached a picture of the parts. Actually, you will likely not need to remove your old torsion spring (quarter sized spring) but the associated washer from the old gaurd handle setup does get removed. The new attachment lever with the screw holes fits over the torsion spring.

My 028 has the cover with the reliefs for what should have been a chain brake, but all it has is a spring loaded handle. This is an old 028, Lakeside said it was way before online manuals, points ignition. The reliefs in the plastic cover look a lot like my 026 and 034 setups which have the chain brake. I inspected the hardware under the cover, and there is no evidence of wear on the drum or the usual places where a chain brake would be.

Yes you describe exactly how my 028 Woodboss was when I got it. Pes+ describes what sounds like an even older version that has no spring relief area on the oil pump cover.

Mine is fixed now but there is currently an Ebay listing ending in 3 days showing the exact parts that were required for my conversion except for the handle which will also be required for the complete conversion. Here is the Listing Item number: 250186494006

I attached a picture of the parts. Actually, you will likely not need to remove your old torsion spring (quarter sized spring) but the associated washer from the old gaurd handle setup does get removed. The new attachment lever with the screw holes fits over the torsion spring.

Yeah, I checked out that listing today plus a couple of other 028 parts listings. I don't want to bid until PES+ or Lake checks out the pictures I post and lets me know what I need exactly. These parts come onto Ebay pretty often so I guess I can afford to miss this bid.

No pix, but a serial number

There are also very early 028s which do not accept either brake set up without modification.

You both need to post pics with the plastic clutch cover-surround and clutch removed so we can determine which parts you will need.

The very early non chain brake 028s had a flat profile with no bulge where the later brake spring mounts underneath.

Hey PES+,
I didn't take pix but I do have my serial number: 6039206. I am going to write to the Stihl techies and see if they can tell me the right part numbers, if this saw can even take a chain brake.

Latest posts

Back