028Super busted crank?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooterbum

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got another 028S off of ebay.He stated since the chain wasn't turning he thought the crank was broke.

What do ya' think the chances are of a crank bustin' on the clutch side of that saw are?

Myself I think the clutch is shot.

Could wait til you get it to see?

Once you have it in your hands it will be easy enough to diagnose. Crank could be broke clutch could be shot. Brake could be on, sprocket could be doinked or missing.
just wait and see

I'm hoping it's just a chewed up sprocket. Either way I have a good bottom end sitting just in case.

I'm really hooked on this saw.I'm even thiking about selling my 5100S because it just sits and collects dust.It's got about 10 hours run time on it in a year.

Post the auction link.

At least then we can give you our interpretations of what we think he is saying in his sales blurb.

A buddy of mine gave me a locked up 028 Super AV - he thought it was lean siezed (someone gave it to him). I checked the bore and piston/rings/bore were perfect. Turned out that a piece of the inner race on the crank bearing was broken off and a hanging up at BDC. I got a good crank case and crank from E-bay for $55 and brought her back better than ever.

sorry.. but...

It will run fine with the clutch side crank broken... They will break at the clutch thread junction.. and just not spin the clutch...

Go Lucky

Took a chance and got lucky!!
Worn sprocket.(never seen one this bad)
This saw is so clean it still has the clear plastic over all the labels,it looks like it's hardly been used!!
Compression checks at 175 !!

major score!!

I know what your saying about the 028s,you run one and you don't want to sent it down,their power band is so nice,good rpm and they torque down in a full cut so sweet,....know you got me missing that saw again!!

Hey Mini
I've got an old Olympyk 264F that needs a top end(I believe rings and a cyl. cleanup would be all) and a recoil assy.How does it compare with the 028S ?

264 vs. 028

the 264 is around 63cc I think,stronger "alot" than an 028.
the 264 had a bad habit of the jug screws coming loose.....air leak......seize.
my did it but I caught before damage.
264 still comes out from time to time,rocked out two chains with the 7900,264 saved the day and finished the job.

Well I think I know what my next project will be. I could use a good strong 60cc saw.
The only thing in that range with AV I have is an old mac 610 and my 028 cuts circles around it.

they pull a 20" in hardwood real well.
the piston and jug are available new if you don't mind the sting of the price.
I remember someone on here said they had 3or4 basket case 264's,maybe a search will bring up some info.
sounds like a good winter project.:cheers:

Last edited:
I love my 028 super av. Its the saw that gets run on evey job! I still can't find where they put the turbo on it?

Back