029 vs. 029 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke094

Reaction score
Hey guys avid reader of the site, first time posting. I did a quick search and didnt find a whole lot on this topic...but what are the main differences between the Stihl 029 and 029 super? Basically I have some parts from the super and a toasted 029 and want to make one running saw out of the two. I want to put the super cylinder and piston on the 029 but want to make sure the carb jetting between the two is close. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

The 029 Super is about 5cc larger than the normal 029 saws. That's about all I know about 'em. If it's anything like the rest of the normal/super variants, you shouldn't have any problem with the carb or swapping over parts.

I think I read somewhere it was the same bore as the ms310, not positive though.

If you read that, it was wrong. The 029 is 45mm bore, and the 029s is 46mm. MS-310 is 47mm bore. The Super came with the same carb as the MS series, with the limiter caps, and the intellicarb top. The straight 029 has the HD-5 carb. That carb will feed plenty of gas, as that is the one also used on the 039. Just make sure you don't use the Super air filter without the intellicarb carburetor, or you'll be sucking unfiltered air in. The new filters from Stihl have the port, but it is blocked off so you can use it on either one by punching out the block plate.

If you're just going to toss the leftovers from the project, you could send them to me. I could use a couple 45mm cylinder pics for my 1127 cylinder thread.

Awesome link...not sure why I couldnt come up with that in a search, but that helps a lot.

I actually have no plans for any of the old parts if thats what you are looking for? The cylinder after a second look doesnt look terrible, it might clean up with some acid, but I have the super cylinder and its in good shape so I am not messing with it. If you want it though its all yours, just pm with the details.

Thanks for all the help...Im sure I will have more questions as I just picked up a dolmar 5100s that I want to do some tweaking to.

Back