031 won't keep running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martik777

Reaction score
Saw would start but only idled for 5-10 secs then died. As soon as I applied any throttle it stalled. Then I reduced plug gap to .014 and it seemed to run ok but I had to set the choke 1/2 way to keep it running, cut a few logs and it stalled with same issues. The carb had been cleaned and gaskets looks ok and compression is 150+. I'm not sure if it is electronic or points. There is no window on the flywheel so I assume it is not points. Not sure what to try next. It was running great for those few cuts.

I turned the low spd mixture screw out 1/2 a turn and now its running w/o stalling. I still needed to fiddle with the choke so it would not stall when rev'd up. It needed very slight choke adjustments to prevent stalling, seems to work best about 1/3 choke setting. Is this indicative of another problem since the choke should normally be off?

I also noticed the impulse line from the carb to the manifold connection seems somewhat loose fitting

Sorry your post went unanswered. Put a new impulse line on it and pressure check it. If you can do that I would replace all the rubber on the engine because if the impulse is loose the rest may be old.

Back