ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

032 Av

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by Trever, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Trever

Trever GB mill 076 Super Stihl

What is the opinion on this saw? I have one heading my way next week. I plan on converting it to electronic ignition. Let's hear the concensus.

2. slowp

slowp Tree Freak

I have one named Old Sparkless that I bought brand new many years ago. It has always been hard to start and now I have to bring it in and keep in in a warm room to get it started at all. No compression release and I thought it would break my wrist a few times. Another 032 owner calls it the cast iron saw. I way prefer the 440s. I'd get rid of Old Sparkless except I could still use it in a pinch if it was warm outside or warmed up inside. However, Old Sparkless has cut quite a bit of wood but caused a lot of aggravation. Maybe I got a cull? :confused:

3. Trever

Thanks for the input. Any others?

4. Gologit

Gologit Mostly retired

I had a couple of them that I bought for ranch saws back in the early eighties. I finally quit running them a couple of years ago and bought a couple of 361s. They were just flat worn out. Never had any serious trouble with either one.They're not a power house but a twenty inch bar seems to suit them pretty well.
    The only real gripe I had was with the air filter...they never seemed to seal completely.
    If you can find parts for them at a reasonable price they'll make a decent saw.

5. 16gauge

16gauge ArboristSite Operative

Another good ole Stihl saw. It will handle a 20 in bar in softwood. Good for those younger than me. MS whatever will be much more comfortable for us guys over 50.

6. Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan ArboristSite Operative

Had one for over 20 years.

Off again, on again usage over the years.

Not a super star (fast revver) but always been reliable (lotta grunt for a little saw).

Have always run a 20" bar on mine.

7. Lakeside53

Lakeside53 Stihl Wrenching

There are thousands out here... and we fix many per week. Great old saw... no real issues other then "normal" stuff.

8. Trever

Thanks everyone

I appreciate everyone's input. I am looking forward to receiving the saw next week and converting it to electronic ignition. I am sure it will be a fun project.:)

9. adkranger

adkranger Addicted to ArboristSite

I don't personally have one, but have an 031ave project that I should have going soon. When I do I'll give ya a full account. I did cut a bunch of wood with an older gentleman last couple of seasons who had nice 032(original owner) that was his primary firewood saw. He'd get logs dumped in his yard from a local logger that weren't worth truckin' to the mill and buzz 'em up into firewood. The stuff was common northern hardwoods(maple, beech, Y. birch, oak) average dia 10-20". His 032 was setup with an 18" B/C and it cut pretty close to my 028 super w/16", though mine seemed to have a slight edge. But it wouldn't touch my 036. I ran it a few times and it seemed like a nice older saw.

Bowtie likes this.
  10. Clearwater

Clearwater ArboristSite Lurker

I have an 032 that I bought new in late 70's or early 80's. Cut lots and lots of wood with it. No major problems with it at all. 20" bar and a sharp chain and you are in business.

11. Lakeside53

If it runs, I wouldn't bother converting it. The points ignition on those saws is very good... amazing spark at very low pull speeds..

12. Trever

032 spark

Thanks everyone for your input. The saw does not have spark, I have been told. I will clean the points and check for spark. I should get it by the end of the week.

13. Lakeside53

If it doesn't have spark, the most likely cause is your condensor..

14. Bowtie

Bowtie Gearhead

I filed the points and checked the gap, set at .016" on the 030AV I sold Brad and that made all the difference. I was going to convert to electronic ignition, but wasnt necessary.

15. Trever

Thanks

Sounds like a plan. I forgot about the condensor. Thank you. I am going to call a couple of people today that have old parts. One of the guys has alot of chainsaws. Thanks again.