036/360 vs MS 361 poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer

• 036/ MS 360

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • MS 361

Votes: 31 49.2%

• Total voters

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
since I've seen a few post lately where guys are prefering the 036 over the 361 I thought I'd post a poll.

Please only vote if you have had trigger time (actual use) behind both of them.

And then tell why you like your choice.

Me, I am one of the few that likes the 036/360. It has more gunt and feels a little bit lighter in my hands.

The 361 is definately smoother and had better air filtration, but I still like the 036 better.

Last edited:
Thats a hard descison there, I have owned both as well as an 034 and absolutely love all. My slight nod has to go to the 361 for the better av and less fuel consumption. The power felt real close IMO.

Thanks to the sawheads on this site I now own close to 20 saws, from 34CC to 90+. My primary use for them is to heat my home and we cut mostly elm from 20" and down because they are dying at the farm quicker than we can cut them. When its time to quit messing around and get some firewood cut in the best (fast cut and light to carry) manner I pull my old 036 from the shelf and go to the fence rows. My time with a 361 is limited to three cuts at the Bunyan show and to tell you the truth I saw no reason to go that route other than my 036 becoming unfixable. Given one saw of my choice to finish out my wood cutting days Id take an 036 and not worry for a minute about what I was missing out on. I know that I am a bull headed, old school nonconformist but new saws are getting so quiet and vibe free that the just feel weird? in my hands and the 361 fits that bill, might have something to do with being broke to saw'en on a David Bradley??

I vote 036. Performance wise and feel wise they are too close to call, There are little things I like about each one. The reason the 036 gets my vote is because they have proven to last over the test of time and abuse. The data is not in yeat but you will see These newer cleaner tighter choked out EPA approved engines will not last like the older well lubricated saws that were built for performance and duribility. The epa approved saw built for appearance, feel and to make Al Gore Happy will not stand the test of time.

I guess I can't vote 'cuz I don't meet Steve's criteria, don't own and haven't had the oppertunity to run a 361 yet.(a good criteria BTW) But I do have to give props to the 036, absolutely love mine. Great saw. Maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to run/own a 361................................:givebeer:

I guess I can't vote 'cuz I don't meet Steve's criteria, don't own and haven't had the oppertunity to run a 361 yet.(a good criteria BTW) But I do have to give props to the 036, absolutely love mine. Great saw. Maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to run/own a 361................................:givebeer:

I hate to break it to ya but You and the rest of us will probally never own a 361 if we are waiting for our 036's to wear out. But then again who says you have to wait for one saw to blow up before you get another.

I've owned quite a few 034 Supers, 036's, and 360's in the past, but I like the 361 better. However, its kinda ironic how many votes there are for the 036/360's when you read all of the accolades on AS concerning the 361's. Its hard to argue with either of them though and they are both great saws imo. If Steve left out the prequisite of having trigger time on both, I bet there would be a lot more 361 votes ;).

I hate to break it to ya but You and the rest of us will probally never own a 361 if we are waiting for our 036's to wear out. But then again who says you have to wait for one saw to blow up before you get another.

You are 100% correct.

Unfortunately, because of the insidious nature of the this site, I will probably buy another saw before the 361 I bought last month is even properly broken in.

I've owned both, and like both.. but the 361 with a muffler mod kicks butt... Revs faster, less vibration, better air filter.. nice saw...

Last edited:
I have much trigger time with the 036 Pro and the 361 in stock trim and the 361 is much nicer to operate........ smoother.....I wouldn't say that it is faster by much if any, but if you spend long hours 14+ hours a day with one or the other.......the next day you will want to use the 361.

I have since had them both freshened up and ported with muffler modds, by the same person at the same time and the 361 without a doubt whips the 036in all categories.

That doesn't make the 036 a bad saw, it is just that it isn't a 361. A modded 361 is a wonderful tool in my opinion. This is not meant as any dis-respect to the 036 or their owners, but to put it in perspective, if they both cost the same money and a person purchased the 036 over the 361, it would be my opinion, that this individual's elevator doesn't go all the way to the top.

Again, to put it into perspective if you had an 036 and only needed one saw, or there was a significant amount of savings in purchasing the 036 over the 361. There you would be fine.

I wouldn't get rid of the 036, just because I have a 361, but I sure wouldn't purchase another 036 over the 361, my opinion. This modded 361, is so "dead" in the the cut, while cutting (burried 24" bar) that it seems you could place a cup of water on the top cover and you wouldn't even see ripples in the water. There is literaly zero vibration (with a properly sharpened chain). The 036 is like a box of rocks with the exact same bar and chain, in the exact same log, and it has always been like this. There is no comparison.

As a side note, I fail to see how some who hasn't run both saws, can subjectively state, that one is better than the other without logging (possibly literally, logging, LOL) a good amount of time with each, but I have come to understand that this happens a lot around here, LOL.

My opinion,

Sam

Yea, 036! As reliable as my 028S and lighter. The vibes it gives me is not too much, an "improvement" (361) would seem to be a "mushy" antivibe saw to me. Maybe after you get the EPA muffler off the 361 it might impress me, but I've a NOS piston assy for my 036 when it gets tired, ......so will not be upgrading anytime soon....

P.S. did not vote as have not abused a 361,...yet. My 036 is alive and well, STIHL on the original internal parts .........

This is a no win thread, as both are awesome saws. I dont care what anyone says about a 60 cc saw class being not worth it and in the middle. Its the perfect size for firewood cutters. Only the freaks like us here on AS get so crazy as to take that notion. I like all classes and sizes of saws, but being a gearhead, I naturally get glassy-eyed looking at and running bigger saws.

.....if they both cost the same money and a person purchased the 036 over the 361, it would be my opinion, that this individual's elevator doesn't go all the way to the top.
Sam
Now Sam, who's elevator on this whole site does go all the way to the top?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back