036 clutch sticking- need a guru!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68 Couper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm piecing together a saw from a rental company. I'm hoping to get a little help from someone who has been around these. It cut well, but did not stall the chain at idle. When I disassembled the clutch the shoes were stuck out to the drum. When I loosten the center hub the shoes retract all by themselves. New shoes, springs, and guides were already installed. I think it's binding against the washer behind the assembly. When I look at the IPD it shows 2 size washers available. The retainers I have don't match the picture exactly. They have short supports for the springs that are not in the picture. Finally, when I tighten the hub down, the shoes push out a little bit. Maybe .010.
So what do you think?

Thanks,
Couper

Do you have the ridged washer then the sleeve down in the oil pump? these go inside the worm.

Is your protection washer up the right way - "TOP" needs to face you.

If your clutch shoes are 1128, you need the big protection washer; if 1125 the smaller... but... there are several center spiders. Not all are shown on the IPL as they are obsolete (like from the old 034), but they end up on "fixers" all the time. 044 and 036 clutches are similar and parts get mixed up all the time.

Take the clutch off and identify the shoes, retainer and the spider, and... check your oil pump parts.

Last edited:
Well, I did some disassembly today. The oil pump is good to go. The installed clutch is 1125/01 shoes, 1125 clips, and 1125/01 spider. The washer is an old small. I can feel some wear on it. I did try another hub just for giggles. Not able to let go of the hub yet. I did the muffler mod yesterday and today I brought it into work to set it up on a tach. Man is she screaming... The factory spec on the manual was 13,000 rpm. It does sound a little better at 13,400. What is a max safe setting for this thing to stay together? Right now I have it at 13,100.
I'm thinking to replace the washer or to set it up with a 1128 spider and shoes I have here. I'll just need a large washer and narrow clips to assemble it.
What do you think?

Thanks,
Couper

The 1125 setup works great.. you need to figure out what is causing the problem... Updating the clutch may do nothing.

Back