036 pro piston difference

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenton85

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
image.jpg I'm needing to know if I received the wrong piston or not , the one on the left is a oem stihl piston, I bought the saw used so I have no idea what brand the piston on the right is other than it has different skirts than the oem piston, I'm wanting to know if the piston I bought will work or did I receive the wrong piston, new piston part # 1125-030-2001

As long as the dimensions are the same it should work. I have an 036 and an 036 pro. Both use the same piston, measure the skirt heights, and measure from the piston pin to the top of the piston to make sure the piston pin is the same height as the stock one. Oem did make different size Pistons for some if not all of their engines, ABCD oversizes, also measure the cylinder bore, I think the magic number for piston clearance was around .02",(do more research on that, I'm not positive, and could be way off)! slip the piston in and use feeler gauges to see how much clearance it has. Also see if your piston has one of those letters, and see if the cylinder has one too. Your broken piston almost looks like it sucked something into it, check your carb for missing screws or nuts. And make sure your crank bearings are good too, could have sucked part of the bearing cage up there. Sorry it's kind of a long answer, but I hope it helps.

I bought the saw not knowing much about saws and how much they are to rebuild, paid 100 bucks for it and it ran but when I took it to my small engine guy to check out he showed me I had super low compression, as for it sucking something in I wouldn't doubt it, they must have had a muffler flow problem so the previous owner took a saw wrench and a hammer and beat 4 huge wholes in the muffler, I'm replacing that also, I'll have 200-250 in the saw rebuilt , as for the cylinder code I didn't know that but it did have a A on the cylinder. Thanks for your response, if I knew people on this site were so willing to help I would have rebuilt myself

I told the engine builder to check the crank bearings and he said he would have to put the head on before he could check them, is this done by compression also?

Back