050 051 075 076 Info Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Rocky,
I have an 075 which has an air leak from the oiler adjuster even after I replace the o-rings?
Any ideas? I need to check the 'bore'. Also when I pressure test the crank case the oil gear pops out. Is that right?
Cheers
Nathan

I had one saw where the oil adjuster would have an air leak when adjusted to minimum oil, but no air leak when adjusted to maximum oil. I think because the Oil lever goes down into the saw when adjusted to the maximum amount it seats better in the bore and leaks less. Also the rubber O-rings may swell more when the sky is warm and stop the air leak. Yes! I laughed the first time I pressure tested The case and the oil drive popped out. I you can screw the clutch hub on Buy in just to hold it for the pressure test. I usually just hold it with my stuff in and happy if the needle doesn't drop like a rock. I use a remote air tank that only has 8 pounds of pressure in it so that I don't over pressure the saw case. I take a paint brush with some bar and chain oil and coat the seal sugars and look for bubbles when I am testing.

Thanks Mate,
I will have another look when I get home! Just spend a couple weeks in the US!
I may have to oversize those o-rings and try?
The leak I have seems to be worse as I change the oil too..... not sure which way was worse.
Cheers
Nathan

I'd say lucky X3!! I have only found one and it's on my 076 Super. I was hoping that perhaps some were being made in Brazil and you found them there. I guess not.

Well there is some hope! A German manufacturer is making knock off covers for like 60$. A tad heavier maybe not fully magnesium but fair quality. They have also started making the inner cover (new style kind of half cover) for like 15. So that leaves the lever, moon washer, cam spring (14 coil I'm guessing or 22, one or the other, lol) and metric e rings. It doesn't say Stihl on it but a decent cover if you have one that's busted up. I posted the link a few pages back. They are also making stator plates for the 1115 series saws for less than 100! Things are looking up for us old Stihl users.

Wow. Doesn't get much sweeter than that. So..., what ARE your limitations? :laugh:

Well to be humble Pogo all I have really done so far is return a 40 year old saw to the best condition I can. The powder coating has a learning curve and prep is 95% of it. There's so many things I don't know like porting and such but I'm learning and having fun doing it! I am blessed to have a great teacher in Texas who steers me down the right path!! Cheers!!

Well there is some hope! A German manufacturer is making knock off covers for like 60$. A tad heavier maybe not fully magnesium but fair quality. They have also started making the inner cover (new style kind of half cover) for like 15. So that leaves the lever, moon washer, cam spring (14 coil I'm guessing or 22, one or the other, lol) and metric e rings. It doesn't say Stihl on it but a decent cover if you have one that's busted up. I posted the link a few pages back. They are also making stator plates for the 1115 series saws for less than 100! Things are looking up for us old Stihl users.
OK, that's great to hear! Thanks for re-sharing that info. Somehow I missed that link.
Keep up the great work. I really appreciate your style of sharing the details of your work. It really helps a lot and reduces the questions that come to mind.

Thanks!! I just shipped one off to the Olympic Penninsula in Washington state to a logging company that's mills huge cedar. They need a big saw to buck up cants and prepare for mill. Time to get busy and get some more ready!!

Thanks!! I just shipped one off to the Olympic Penninsula in Washington state to a logging company that's mills huge cedar. They need a big saw to buck up cants and prepare for mill. Time to get busy and get some more ready!!
OK, I gotta ask. I live here in the Olympic Peninsula. That's cool that you have the opportunity to find a buyer near where I live. I felt real lucky to find my 076 Super here a few years back, and they are hard to find. Would you mind sharing which Co. that requested your saw? It's rare that I find these older saw still being used, but I do come across some fallers that like them here in the Pacific NW vs. the newer Stihl saws. I have no desire to intrude on your business. I just typically dabble in smaller saws to resell and keep the bigger saws for my pleasures, when I can find them. My CAD has grown stronger over the years and I just like to keep learning about these older saws.
If my request is out of order, just say so and I'll be quiet.

It's funny because when the sale went thru it was from a guy with a user name that was very strange and a bunch of random numbers and only 2 buys. Red flag!! Here is Boston we are an uptight fast paced, doubting and protective lot. So my first reaction was fraud. I sent an email to the buyer to please call me asap or I would cancel the sale. Who spends 1100 on a saw without asking a million questions from the builder to gain confidence they are getting their money's worth? Well his wife called me back right away and within 2 minutes I knew she's was very ligit. She said he watched my videos and was impressed and loved the saw and needed it. I gathered he wanted something he could work on, durable, and built to last a lifetime. His main job is for a large timber company on the OP. I don't recal the name. His side buisness is buying the biggest cedar he can get and milling it on his property. He needs the saw to run a large bar for bucking and preparing cants for milling the cedar for high end furniture and special orders. Apparently the newer Stihls he's buying are giving him grief. She does have a fb page and I will follow up on it and post the link if it's ok with the moderators or just msg it privately. To be clear I'm not on this site to promote my buisness or sell to the readers. I'm here to learn and share in what has been freely givin to me! I do love Washington st. And was born in Seattle, my aunt was the attorney general for the western district of Wa. And may be running for mayor of Seattle. Anyway getting off topic here but used to love watching ax men and the foresting that goes on there. I guess now there are cutting closures due to nesting spotted owls!

It's funny because when the sale went thru it was from a guy with a user name that was very strange and a bunch of random numbers and only 2 buys. Red flag!! Here is Boston we are an uptight fast paced, doubting and protective lot. So my first reaction was fraud. I sent an email to the buyer to please call me asap or I would cancel the sale. Who spends 1100 on a saw without asking a million questions from the builder to gain confidence they are getting their money's worth? Well his wife called me back right away and within 2 minutes I knew she's was very ligit. She said he watched my videos and was impressed and loved the saw and needed it. I gathered he wanted something he could work on, durable, and built to last a lifetime. His main job is for a large timber company on the OP. I don't recal the name. His side buisness is buying the biggest cedar he can get and milling it on his property. He needs the saw to run a large bar for bucking and preparing cants for milling the cedar for high end furniture and special orders. Apparently the newer Stihls he's buying are giving him grief. She does have a fb page and I will follow up on it and post the link if it's ok with the moderators or just msg it privately. To be clear I'm not on this site to promote my buisness or sell to the readers. I'm here to learn and share in what has been freely givin to me! I do love Washington st. And was born in Seattle, my aunt was the attorney general for the western district of Wa. And may be running for mayor of Seattle. Anyway getting off topic here but used to love watching ax men and the foresting that goes on there. I guess now there are cutting closures due to nesting spotted owls!

Thanks for the great reply. It's a wonderful place out here. Nice to know some of your PacNW history. Still a lot of logging for export around here but the last large local mill shut down last year and auctioned everything off. The only mill close by Forks is a two-man operation that my son works at just south of town.
FYI, I just made my first thread last night about using my 076 Super. It's called " Drinkin' stump ideas", in the milling forum section, with pics. It's a neat idea.

I just got a 075 that wouldn't start, turned out the cylinder was full of bar oil. Anyway it runs strong now all that's cleaned out and I want to give it a rebuild, are you 051/075/076 rebuilders replacing the screws with Allen or Stihl screws to stop them becoming loose?

Back