056mag2 project underway... part one of many

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Reaction score
I fixed an old 056 for a local tree service today (uh oh, a "side job" :hmm3grin2orange: ).. He's had it since new, loves it dearly, but the Bosch ignition has failed - works great for 15 seconds then quits. Can't buy them any more and most used ignitions of that type are on the way out. Replaced the flywheel with the later type, and an ignition from a TS360 cut-off saw. Three pulls... Whrrommm! Damn that felt good.

Hmmmm... my bench has been cluttered with parts from 3-4 056 super and mag2 for over a year... Time to get that old junk blowing smoke and throwning chips. I figiure I have enough to build an real nice mag2 (56mm bore) and maybe a Super (54mm.).

I HATE working on flithy saws... make a mediocre living out of it, but I'll be damned if i'll do it on my own stuff. Time to clean up the mag2 engine.

I'm not sure if I'll spit it parts as it's pretty nice inside, and as saws go, it's only about a 7 on the filth scale.. and if I do split it, I want it clean so so no crap gets inside..

First seal up the inlet - tied-off bicycle inner tube and the boot clamp, the exhaust -064 muffler spacer and piece of rubber, and the plug - hey let's just use a spark plug!

Plug a pressure test bulb on the impulse connection and get some pressure in that engine. Hmmmm.. won't hold pressure... but good enough. With a small amount of pressure, I can dunk this entire engine into anything, and nothing will get inside.

The orginal... sealed up

attachment.php

After a little brush work with disgusting old gritty solvent/gas mix. Who cares, it can't get inside...

attachment.php

Into a 5 gallon bucket of very used purple cleaner - hey, bubbles.. keep the pressure up...

attachment.php

hit it with the gargen hose...
attachment.php

Not finished yet.. into the ultrasonic cleaner with clean ('ish) purple cleaner to bust the crap off the cylinder fins.

attachment.php

more to come..

056 Mag2 project underway - part 2

Hmmmm... more bubbles... Leaky seal.... Dang.. No longer available, but.. I still have some ;)

attachment.php

Now I can work on the saw! Total time?? maybe 10 minutes of cleaning... and not a drop inside...

attachment.php

The project... after some organization and sorting. Clean to the left, dirt to the right...

attachment.php

And...

I sure like spring in the PNW! Sorry, part of my yard...:D

attachment.php

More to come next week...

Last edited:
One small thing...

Block off the oil outlet! I forgot, but got lucky - the pump stopped the various cleaners from getting into the oil tank...

Cool, watching with interest.

I reckon my 051 was a 10 on the filth scale! Took me a few days to clean it.....doh!:bang:

Thats the way to clean em. That almost looks brand new.
Pretty awesome back yard.

What is this 'Purple Cleaner'? Is it like a degreaser?

Purple Cleaner is a water based degreaser / cleaner. Many names over here.. Castrol "super clean" was the origial.

You can't wait till next week!!!

I have my 056Mag II in the same torn apart condition. Just rebuilt the oil pump with new seals. I have been :confused: on how do I seal up the exhaust port for pressure testing. With no fabrication skills I figured I could drop off the stripped down unit at the local dealer to have the seals replaced regardless if they need it or not. Seals NLA :chainsaw: :censored:

Keep the posts coming Lakeside us 056 owners can't wait.

Brian

The easiest way to seal the exhaust side for pressure testing is to put a piece of rubber behind the muffler and tighten it down.

yep... the clutch side oil seal is going to get real hard to find soon... The oil pump drive spline has been NLA for a while now. I was just looking a the Stihl NW parts list... lot's of stuff vanishing for these old ladys..

I have brochures that still listed the 056 up into the '90s. I always thought it was a very cool saw. Keep us posted...

The ultrasonic cleaner I use for carbs is much smaller and cheap ($60). I couldn't live without one - haven't had to pull a welch plug cover since I started using it. The unit in the picture is a much bigger (and older) industrial unit - got it on ebay... I'll show more if it being used later - it's great for pre-paint cleaning of fine structrues like you get on recoil covers etc.

Cool thread Andy, I just started an 045. It looks similar. I'm going to deck it, port it, maybe finger ports. I'm just expirimenting with mods.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Cool thread Andy, I just started an 045. It looks similar. I'm going to deck it, port it, maybe finger ports. I'm just expirimenting with mods.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yep.. sure looks familiar. You'll get big gains with the right muffler. I have three different types for the 056 alone.. I'll posts pics in a couple of days of each type - just bead-blasted the junk off them..

Add your stuff in this thread... it's all the same old problems..

Lakeside......All that cleaning looks great, but no matter what, that old 056 is still a piece of $hit......Hahahahahahahaha!:popcorn:

O.k., so I tore it down...

Nice and clean outside, but... the exhaust port showed a lot of carbon, and the piston crown wasn't great either. The cylinder looks great apart from a crust in the chamber.. It has EDTA (decarbonizer) in it right now and is soaking over night. The piston rings looked "tight". They were - carbon behind and in the ring grooves. And I really just needed a reason to take it apart... :D

attachment.php

It's hard to clean out heavy concentration of carbon (over a 1/16 inch thick in this case) in the exhaust port without taking the cylinder off. Sure you can do it, but it gets inside... I use a 1/4 inch rotary wire brush in a drill. 5 minutes later - done... The build up in the corners was more like 1/8 inch each side... and starting to smear down the piston.

The piston crown - my favorite tool is a medium 3M pad in my die grinder - 30 seconds.. . Take it easy though - or use a green pad to be safe.

attachment.php

Now the ring grooves... take out the rings, and use an old broken 1.5mm ring with the end ground flat to scrape (carefully) the carbon out. PITA.. took me 30 minutes for both rings... I checked the rings in the bore. Both have end gaps of about 15 thou, which is mid life, but they'll work fine (for now). I could have taken it off, soaked it in EDTA etc, but I didn't.

Piston finished, rings refitted... and yes, I'm glad I took off the cylinder. The gasket is firmly stuck to the crankcase and real smooth, so a smear of Hylomar HPF on the old gasket and the cylinder can go back on. It's more polished that the picture may lead you to believe.

attachment.php

So... you're at a garage sale and spot a box of old 056 parts in the corner. The tag is missing. Without measuring the bore (hard on an 056 if it's on the saw) or trying to measure the cylinder bolt spacing, it's REALLY hard to figure out if you have a 52, 54mm or 56mm cylinder on your saw... here's a sure method for the 56mm Magnum cylinder - look for the bevels on the corners of the cylinder base. Also useful on Ebay...

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Back