056mag2 project underway... part one of many

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That saw looks like brand new. Great thread.

When are you going to put a bar and chain on it and give it a run???

soon.... I want savour it a little first before I mess it all up... and I do need to touch up the very few nicks in the gray paint.

I'm going to take it down to StihlNW next week so they can drool over it also.... Nothing like genuine Stihl drool to polish things up;)

soon.... I want savour it a little first before I mess it all up... and I do need to touch up the very few nicks in the gray paint.

I'm going to take it down to StihlNW next week so they can drool over it also.... Nothing like genuine Stihl drool to polish things up;)

That saw will surely turn some heads, great work there.

I been pondering on how to make this 041AV look like new and I think I've found a way thats fool proof. We got a custom auto body shop in town that does all sorts of trick paint jobs. They should have no problem matching Stihl grey and orange. They do the bake on finnish and clear coats, bead blasting and anything related to paint. A car job runs 3-4 thousand, a saw shouldn't be much over a 100. I'll keep you posted on what they tell me..

Nice... the money is in the prep, and masking... $100? lololol

Custom paint? I'm thinking orange with black crinkle finish, and air-brushed flames...

Last edited:

Custom paint? I'm thinking orange with black crinkle finish, and air-brushed flames...

I was thinking the samething, would be wild wouldn't it???????

I know a few of the guys that work there, I keep their Stihls in tip top shape, don't charge them much and hopefully they will remember I don't..

Metalflake GTO green, mon.

..more than all the stars in the sky,.......... I can relate. Blank check is in the mail... J/K.............that 056 is one beautiful saw o ya mon!:clap:

I just aquired an 056 last night. It came to me with no spark and only cost me a 12 pk of beer. I want to do the same to it but where do you recommend finding parts for these? Also what kind of paint do you use?

Just to add to this thread that Wiseco (who make pistons) will do limited production runs on motorcycle pistons, someone on the thread mentioned that Stihl no longer sell the pistons for these saws so if theres enough people wanting a piston Wiseco could well be the people to ask.
Also, most bearing factors are able to supply crank bearings and so on for engines, just take the old ones in and they read the bearing codes off them are can often offer replacements that are of a better spec than OE.
They can sometimes get hold of crank seals as well.

Other than that, good thread.

Scott.

Reading bearing codes and matching only works if they are a standard sizes and have no custom features... many saw bearings are not available except via the OEM. There are many threads on this topic.

Parts? Ebay.... AS members... old saw shops... and many still available via Stihl dealers.

Paint : I use Stihl supplied paint. The orange is a bit of a pain - needs many costs with cures in between. Matching to a close color with automobile quality paint is a good option. Check into threads by Brad Snelling - he did the later with nice results.

Just to add to this thread that Wiseco (who make pistons) will do limited production runs on motorcycle pistons, someone on the thread mentioned that Stihl no longer sell the pistons for these saws so if theres enough people wanting a piston Wiseco could well be the people to ask.
Also, most bearing factors are able to supply crank bearings and so on for engines, just take the old ones in and they read the bearing codes off them are can often offer replacements that are of a better spec than OE.
They can sometimes get hold of crank seals as well.

Other than that, good thread.

Scott.

Ha, I assume you have never worked on a chainsaw. A wiseco piston is gonna cost over 150 bucks and you have to buy a batch of them. No need for a new top end if the current one is not scored.

Bearings, as Lake said can be special and only available from the manufacturer. Again, not needed if tight.

I have seen quite a bit of ignitions on ebay lately, but haven't check in the last month or so. They are out there, just be ready to spend a little dough.

Oh by the way, a 12 pack for an 056 is a killer deal even without spark.:clap:

Ha, I assume you have never worked on a chainsaw. A wiseco piston is gonna cost over 150 bucks and you have to buy a batch of them. No need for a new top end if the current one is not scored.

Bearings, as Lake said can be special and only available from the manufacturer. Again, not needed if tight.

I have seen quite a bit of ignitions on ebay lately, but haven't check in the last month or so. They are out there, just be ready to spend a little dough.

Oh by the way, a 12 pack for an 056 is a killer deal even without spark.:clap:

Yep your dead right I have never stripped a chainsaw down.
I know you have to order a batch but as my motorcycle pistons usuallly cost over a hundred pounds (I don't know what that is in Dollars but I'm guessing about $160 about now) each anyway the cost wouldn't have been over the odds for a bike.

If I recall correct Mahle (I wouldn't be surprised if they make Stihl pistons anyway as they are both based in Germany) also do limited production runs if you have enough numbers wanting the pistons.

I wasn't specifically saying he needed a new piston, just replying to someone on the thread who said that the pistons were no longer avaliable, it depends on how much you want them, thats all I'm saying.
Everything can be made or got hold of...for a price and it just depends on if a person think the price is worth it.
Bearings? it's always worth checking with a bearing factors all the same as I've seen enough "specials" that are just pretty standard bearings bought by the manufacturers than re-packaged and sold on by the motorcycle manufacturers at a premium price to believe that manufacturers of other engines wouldn't do the same.

I can get higher spec crank bearings than OE for my KX500 motocrosser for less money than Kawasaki charge.

But yeah, $150 for a chainsaw piston is rather a lot of cash;)

Reading bearing codes and matching only works if they are a standard sizes and have no custom features... many saw bearings are not available except via the OEM. There are many threads on this topic.

Uh oh,.. Where can I get ahold of a set of bearings and seals for an 045 super? I stopped at my local Stihl dealer and they looked up all the part numbers for a lower rebuild and all of them were nla,.. I was hoping my bearing shop could match them up,.. I got to get them things out already!!

The flywheels side bearing and seal is available. The FW bearing is just a 6004 and readily available everywhere.

The clutch side seal 9639 003 2690 has been replaced with 9640 003 2690. Your dealer needs to look up the paper list for substitutions - Mediacat does not show them.

The 045S clutch side bearing 9523 003 0440 is custom and NLA and hasn't been for a long time... that's a grooved bearing so it can hold a big clip. The 056 flipped that around and put the clip in the housing. There are a lot of perfectly good used bearings around or you can try cheapstihlsawparts - he might have NOS.

Last edited:
ok Lakeside, im going to write those part numbers down and look around some more. I feel kind of bad wasting my dealers time looking for parts for a 30+ year old saw, I dont think theyll be too happy the next time I walk in the door. I'm getting a big list ready for cheapstihlparts for a couple saws, thanks for that :chainsaw:

Back