056mag2 project underway... part one of many

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am bringing this thread back up because I hope it catches Lake's attention if he is still here or another 056 expert concerning the history of the ignition systems used in a 56.

Today I recieved an odd request to look a saw that didn't run right from a tree customer of mine. My jaw dropped when they came over with it. An 056 AV in mint and I mean mint condition that = 's pristine that it looks like came right from the dealer's shelf. Original Duromatic bar and probaly the same chain it came with.. The chain sprocket didn't even have a nick in it.

Anyway, the saw starts and runs but runs like the ignition is cutting out and sounds like it is out of time. Very similar to the way a saw would run if the lead wire was shorting out to the case or a point ignition saw would run with the points out of adjustment or had a bad condenser or the on-off switch wasn't working right.

I have tinkered with what little timing adjustment the module has as shown in this thread about halfway back around page 11. Didn't make much difference in the way it ran. I have also gone throught the carb making an adjustment mostly in the height of the metering lever. The setting was real high. That didn't work much either although the saw did run a little cleaner.

This saw is in way too good of shape for any of the usual old saw problems concerning a running ignition problem. This saw was so clean under the flywheel I could read Presto on the spark plug wire,don't see that too often.

My question is how reliable were these early capacitor dicharge modules???

This one is a Bosch with the orginal two piece flywheel just like the one Lake put in the 56 that is the theme of this rebuild thread. Did these modules have a history of premature failure?? I got a feeling the one I have is failing internally somehow.

Also, what does SEM stand for ??? I'll take a guess at Seimens Electronic Module.

I'd like to fix this saw for the lady but I know these modules are no longer available from Sthil and it would gut me to put a used module in such a nice looking saw.

AX or Larry

Last edited:
I am bringing this thread back up because I hope it catches Lake's attention if he is still here or another 056 expert concerning the history of the ignition systems used in a 56.

Today I recieved an odd request to look a saw that didn't run right from a tree customer of mine. My jaw dropped when they came over with it. An 056 AV in mint and I mean mint condition that = 's pristine that it looks like came right from the dealer's shelf. Original Duromatic bar and probaly the same chain it came with.. The chain sprocket didn't even have a nick in it.

Anyway, the saw starts and runs but runs like the ignition is cutting out and sounds like it is out of time. Very similar to the way a saw would run if the lead wire was shorting out to the case or a point ignition saw would run with the points out of adjustment or had a bad condenser or the on-off switch wasn't working right.

I have tinkered with what little timing adjustment the module has as shown in this thread about halfway back around page 11. Didn't make much difference in the way it ran. I have also gone throught the carb making an adjustment mostly in the height of the metering lever. The setting was real high. That didn't work much either although the saw did run a little cleaner.

This saw is in way too good of shape for any of the usual old saw problems concerning a running ignition problem. This saw was so clean under the flywheel I could read Presto on the spark plug wire,don't see that too often.

My question is how reliable were these early capacitor dicharge modules???

This one is a Bosch with the orginal two piece flywheel just like the one Lake put in the 56 that is the theme of this rebuild thread. Did these modules have a history of premature failure?? I got a feeling the one I have is failing internally somehow.

Also, what does SEM stand for ??? I'll take a guess at Seimens Electronic Module.

I'd like to fix this saw for the lady but I know these modules are no longer available from Sthil and it would gut me to put a used module in such a nice looking saw.

AX or Larry

The Bosch module is no longer available. You can switch it to the SEM system but you will need a matching flywheel and possibly recoil starter assembly.

I wish ole Lake would come on back and bring AS back to the good ole days,grrrrrrrrrrr

Hey Thall, Thanks for the info.

Am I on the right track with this one? At least somewhat on track. To me you either have spark or you don't.

The Bosch module is no longer available. You can switch it to the SEM system but you will need a matching flywheel and possibly recoil starter assembly.

I wish ole Lake would come on back and bring AS back to the good ole days,grrrrrrrrrrr

I agree. Other folks know a lot, and are helpful, but I stihl miss Andy.

Hey Thall, Thanks for the info.

Am I on the right track with this one? At least somewhat on track. To me you either have spark or you don't.

Thats about the size of it. The Bosch ignitions on those saws were well known for one thing, going DEAD.

I got a man that owns two 056's with Bosch ignitions, get this, both are deader than 4 o'clock. He won't fess up the funds to switch them over so he has two non-running 056's, one is in awesome shape, dayummm shame. I have another old guy that has a 056, Bosch system, DEAD. He too won't fess up the funds.

Thanks again Thall, I'll pass along the bad news.

For the record I value your opinions just as much as Andy's.

Thanks again Thall, I'll pass along the bad news.

For the record I value your opinions just as much as Andy's.

Well I'll be the first to say I do not know nearly as much as ole Lakeside. I used to sit here and merely read alot of his posts and never say word and I learned alot. The man should have been a teacher for sure....

Well I'll be the first to say I do not know nearly as much as ole Lakeside. I used to sit here and merely read alot of his posts and never say word and I learned alot. The man should have been a teacher for sure....

Very true. Although there have been a few times I didn't agree with him but that is beside the point. I learned much from him also. He did miss his calling.

Very true. Although there have been a few times I didn't agree with him but that is beside the point. I learned much from him also. He did miss his calling.

Haha,true. When I first came to AS I had no clue who he was. I was reading one of his posts one nite about him using a impact gun on clutches. I thought huhhhhhhhhh, thats not by the book. As I got to know him better I realize he is one of few that is capable of using a impact without damaging anything. The man knew his business and sometimes he didn't need to go by the book to getter done. He was sharp for sure,:cheers::cheers:

Haha,true. When I first came to AS I had no clue who he was. I was reading one of his posts one nite about him using a impact gun on clutches. I thought huhhhhhhhhh, thats not by the book. As I got to know him better I realize he is one of few that is capable of using a impact without damaging anything. The man knew his business and sometimes he didn't need to go by the book to getter done. He was sharp for sure,:cheers::cheers:

You mean he should be teaching at Virginia Beach?

I vote....

to have Andy come back!

I then vote for him to photo a tutorial of rebuilds on all the stihl models working up to the new ones.

QUOTE from ANDY post #!
......Replaced the flywheel with the later type, and an ignition from a TS360 cut-off saw. Three pulls... Whrrommm! - end quote.

Guess yu still have to source / cost those parts tho....may be cheaper than
SEM.Is the TS360 ignition the same as 036 ignition ?

The TS350 and I think the TS360 used the same SEM GA module. I know that some of the Husky 2100 (I think 2100) used the same module as well. I have one in my 056 that was from a Husky. If you switch over to SEM you will need a new flywheel too.

Looking for 056 magnum2 cylinder 56mm

Anyone got an old 956magnum cylinder in good shape that they'd be willing to part with. Give me a quote. Thx Mike

Anyone got an old 956magnum cylinder in good shape that they'd be willing to part with. Give me a quote. Thx Mike

I'd try the tradin post here on AS. or ebay, you can get an 056Mag parts saw for less than the price of a jug if you know what you are looking for.

PM me you email address again... I'll sign you up to my not-so-secret source, and get three successful snipes for doing so.... I've saved a fortune by sniping.. Only amateurs "bid early and high...";)

Just got turned on to this thread. Awesome! tried to pm you but your box is full

Oops. just finished reading the thread and apparently Lakeside is MIA. whats the scoop?

Last edited:
Lakeside retired from this website a few years ago. I'm sure his PM box is full and has been for sometime. Last I heard he was enjoying retirement!!! We sure do miss him!!!!

Latest posts

Back