064 ported hybrid with poly flywheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That should go well , I did the same with an old 064 I had . Didn't do much to the ports except smoothing them , deleted the base gasket and stuck on a dp muffler and used a rebuilt 066 carb .
I was well pleased with the result . Good luck .

Be honest....
You dug that out at the dump didn't you?
I would have too, in a heartbeat!
" It needs the precious"View attachment 486561
I envy the roadside trash pile finds other members show off over on the eastern side of the states. You just never see people throw stuff like that away around here. If I remember right it came in a pile of parts an old retired Stihl tech gave me for rebuilding a carb. He still builds for loggers and strictly works on 440/460's, 066/660's, and 088/880's.

It cleaned up pretty good. The bearings were actually fresh so I was lucky and didn't need to replace them. Woohoo.
I also discovered what sidelined this saw. The crankcase screw at the location where the oil tank meets the cylinder base had lost its locking teeth and spun loose allowing bar oil ingestion.
2016-03-21 14.37.52.jpg

Whenever there's an uncomfortable silence in the conversation I always ask, how about those Giants ( SF ). I don't think he meant any harm in suggesting using the 064 cylinder, I took it as there will be little actual performance gain in going 066 hybrid. I personally haven't done the conversion yet but am interested as I have an 064 that I built a few years ago that I have done a lot of milling with and is now tired and in need of a rebuild again. What experience can you share to go with the statement that no gains can be made?

I beleive he was referring to the general opinion that the 064 topend is inherently "faster" than an 066 topend. The 066 may have more grunt for longer bar but a healthy 064 with a 28" light bar is one sweet saw. I did a 066 redlight/064 hybrid a few years ago out of the parts stash and I liked it. I don't know that I would seek out parts to build one but If you have the parts go for it.

Whenever there's an uncomfortable silence in the conversation I always ask, how about those Giants ( SF ). I don't think he meant any harm in suggesting using the 064 cylinder, I took it as there will be little actual performance gain in going 066 hybrid. I personally haven't done the conversion yet but am interested as I have an 064 that I built a few years ago that I have done a lot of milling with and is now tired and in need of a rebuild again. What experience can you share to go with the statement that no gains can be made?
The key thing here, IMO, is when you "big bore" you are making your engine "more square" - i.e. a higher bore/stroke ratio. This means that the engine will prefer to produce it's peak power at higher revs. So I suppose that as long as you appreciate this in other parts of the system, port/ignition timing, carburetion, engine robustness, then I guess everything will be good.

BTW I'm just talking theory here - I have no practical experience of big-boring, I'm afraid :)

Whenever there's an uncomfortable silence in the conversation I always ask, how about those Giants ( SF ). I don't think he meant any harm in suggesting using the 064 cylinder

This wasn't much of a conversation piece to begin with. Just look at that nasty piece of crap. As an innocent bystander my biggest curiosity would be more about whether it is useable than how well it performs. Lol

And I have to strongly disagree with the last statement...I'm very harmed. And he made my poor saw feel so damn bad it keeps sucking the ethanol from my trucks gas tank to attempt suicide.

Back