064 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big t double

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
so heres what i started with. this saw was had been abandonded at my pops shop for over two years, i guess the tree cutters that owned it said they could never get it running right. id been eyeballing it for a while and he ended up giving it to me as a christmas prize last year. it was missing the muffler and ignition coil, those parts had been scavenged or other repairs.
IMG_0532.jpg IMG_0533.jpg

he could never find the old service records on the thing so i had no idea what was wrong with it. the piston looked very nice through the exhaust so i vac. pressure tested it....leaking crank seal on flywheel side. i put a new seal in and retested and everything checked out ok. i decided to pull the jug just to have a look...i noticed it had the shielded/sealed bearings. at this point i decided it would be better to just split it apart and put in some new ones without the shields just to be safe. i was getting antsy waiting for the seal kit to come in from backorder when i decided to email glock37 and have him powder my cases...the plastics were in ok shape, not perfect but so what, its my saw so why not. heres the before...
IMG_0586.jpg

gasket set finally came in...all laid out and ready to assemble the crankcase
IMG_0651.jpg

i had done a couple 1122 lower ends before this and each time i referenced the mastermind thread on bearing installation...that is just great reference material right there, top notch post for sure

heating the crank halves per the mastermind thread...i used a sheet metal bender as a heat shield, i believe he uses a spent bar...again that post of his is a gem

IMG_0660.jpg
here i used a bar to keep the heat gun in place...the sucker kept vibrating off target
IMG_0661.jpg

now I've never had much luck just dropping the crank into the bearings...so i cheat haha...luckily i have access to a puller

IMG_0662.jpg

lower end all buttoned up

IMG_0666.jpg

heres the handle assembly...not great but not bad either

IMG_0619.jpg

closer shot

IMG_0621.jpg

cleaned up...a little 400 grit wet sandpaper and some elbow grease later...

IMG_0622.jpg

it could still use some work but it brightened up a little.

everything else laid out and ready to go

IMG_0667.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 16
tank housing and top end installed on crankcase, 1122 exhaust flange bolted on and sealed...ready for pressure and vac test...im paranoid and do this with every saw i work on...this really shows how nice of a job glock37 does compared to my faded tank housing...it was at this point i decided what i should've done was sell the used tank housing and put that to the price of a new one...too late...hind site.... i really wanted to get the saw done and run it, its not like i planned on putting it on the shelf and not using it anyways so.....

IMG_0672.jpg

close shot of the broken cooling fin...i got it like this, no biggie though, it shouldn't affect the saw performance at all.

IMG_0671.jpg

i remember reading a thread on here one time a guy called the stihl oil hose a farce...truer words have never been spoken, its really unnecessary how stiff that crap is....got it all in place and ready to trim to my length and my stupid knife slipped....skin tones are for girls...er....wait...

IMG_0676.jpg

oil hose and pump installed after a thorough blood letting....and no...id did not make the line down over the last barb...call me names if you want, i don't really care hahahaha...i hate that oil hose with a passion

IMG_0673.JPG

so after this everything went down hill...i feel i should be upfront and honest here....i screwed up. so i was angry at the oil line fiasco and started to get in a hurry....i started putting in the bar adjuster and stupidly picked up the wrong length m4 screw to tighten it down...it was too long and i bottomed out the screw and twisted the head off before i knew what was going on...idiot idiot idiot...i do it all the time, get in a hurry and fvck something up...oh well, not the end of the world, i finished installing the brake assembly to keep it moving. after the brake was in i was cooled down enough to attempt to drill out the bolt...now i don't know if its my after 8 beers steadiness or the weak azz drill bit...ill blame the bit...but i got a part of the way down the center of the bolt and the stupid drill bit broke right off...im pissed...now what.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0673.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 39
while deciding what to do with the broken bolt/drill bit i worked on the muffler...this saw didn't have a muffler when i got it so i traded a buddy his 066 muffler for tinkering with his 084 that he just bought...i still can't figure out how those baffles get cut out all the way so this is what i do....

IMG_0668.jpg

i also opened up the exit hole as far as i could....not gonna go with the dual port cover at this time...muffler then got a coat of high temp black grill paint

IMG_0670.jpg

heres the 084 i was tinkering with....

IMG_0705.jpg

kitted the 064 carb then put it next to the 084 carb...those things are massive

IMG_0691.jpg

also while deciding what to do with the broken bolt situation i took apart an 056 mag for cleaning and inspecting...gonna try and get a runner out of one of them

IMG_0706.jpg

so i took the 064 down to work to see if one of the old guys i work with had any suggestions...one of em is a pro at drilling out broke bolts. he drilled on it a while with a cobalt bit and made good progress till he broke that bit...thank god it wasn't in the case....so i let it sit another two weeks...finally i decided i would go at it with the tungsten bit for the dremel knowing full well i would damage the original threads and have to re-tap it...it took forever but i finally ground out the bit...found a shorty m5 bolt and ground the head down low so the tensioner slide would clear it, applied locktite and finally installed the bar tensioner...taaa daaaa....here it is with new cover and n.o.s. brake handle installed...man that tank handle is looking worse and worse..hahaha

IMG_0715.jpg

foil on

IMG_0716.jpg

carb in...i didn't take any pics but i got an hd2 air filter for it.

IMG_0718.jpg

flywheel and ignition...when i got the saw the coil was missing...it was set up with the early cdic flywheel so i bought a flywheel off a guy in the trading post to work with the 0000 400 1300 coil that i robbed off a junker 039 i had laying around...i did have to lengthen the spark plug lead...again thanks to glock37 for emailing me the spreadsheet with the proper lengths for each saw...this shot really makes my tank look bad.

IMG_0719.jpg

here it is all buttoned up...it kinda reminds me of a mullet...the front looks nice but something really needs to be done about the back

IMG_0720.jpg

here it is with a well worn 28" bar...i shoulda put the new 25" on it for the picture but oh well....i got a 28" total super bar on the way from a buddy in northern wisconsin that i will put on it for good...

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

im so paranoid i won't set it down unless there is cardboard or a rag down first....so all in all the project started in about january and I'm finally done with it now...it woulda been done a month ago but the whole broken bolt deal set me back...i finally got to run it for the first time today, it ran fine...i was pleased with it and can't wait to run it some more...i only got about a half tank through it before i had to stop...my wood pile is right in front of my daughters window and she had to take a nap...oh well....im gonna run it for a while like this till i get a feel for it since its the first 064 I've run then maybe send it off to get fondled by a saw builder...never had or ran a ported saw before...this is the one i think i want to have done first...thanks everyone for all the likes and looking at my build thread.

Awesome job on the powdercoating, Glock37! Someday I'll do a saw up nice like that, and I'll be calling you!
:clap:

you won't be disappointed...he does great work and is great to deal with...super nice guy.

SWEET looking 64. I am going to be sending a set of cases to mr GLOCK37 soon.. For a build I am doing.:)

I have to agree with you on the tank situation.. but itll do the job.

Great job and write up! That powder coat came up very nicely.

Finished my 064 recently. Also took a few months to do mine, it was nice not rush things. Chasing parts and letting the expectation build was all part of the fun. Wrapped with the way it runs.

Attachments

• IMG_5382 (Large).JPG
    IMG_5382 (Large).JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5381 (Large).JPG
    IMG_5381 (Large).JPG
    56 KB · Views: 63
SWEET looking 64. I am going to be sending a set of cases to mr GLOCK37 soon.. For a build I am doing.:)

I have to agree with you on the tank situation.. but itll do the job.

Any clues you care to give on what your having mike paint?? Hope you do a thread on whatever your building !!!

Great job and write up! That powder coat came up very nicely.

Finished my 064 recently. Also took a few months to do mine, it was nice not rush things. Chasing parts and letting the expectation build was all part of the fun. Wrapped with the way it runs.

Very nice! Dig the old style air filter setup!!!

Any clues you care to give on what your having mike paint?? Hope you do a thread on whatever your building !!!

Im building an girly MS 260 for the woman.. its going to be pink, gray, and chrome. waiting on parts :)

Did you get my PM?

Back