064 repair project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MattG

Well, a while back I had been thinking of getting myself another old and broken stihl chainsaw to repair and, well yeah, play with. I'd been hankering for a ms460 but all the ones I'd recently seen on ebay kinda looked too new - i.e. not enough challenge or too expensive.

So when my wife mentioned that she had seen a 064 on a non-auction site I got slightly intrigued. I did a little research, and err... the next morning kind of went a bit crazy and phoned the seller up, and soon found me and my daughter driving 110 miles around the english motorways :eek: with 120 quid in my wallet to meet the seller.

I didn't take any piccies on the day of purchase - I took some later that should give you a rough idea of what's there:
[photo=medium]3186[/photo]
[photo=medium]3189[/photo]

On the phone the seller had told me "the saw coughs after a few pulls - but does not run". When we finally met him and he handed me the saw I tried to start it. Umm... well.. it's a big ol' saw, and I'm not exactly superman... but after about 8 pulls it fired and kind of ran on full choke. I was a bit surprised given the seller's original tale! I think he's selling a few saws - and had forgotten about each one a bit. I then knocked her onto half choke and she continued to rev - but since a few other people were close by I quickly flicked it off. Anyway I paid the guy and we parted.

I guess it must be a pretty tough saw since when we got home I had a quick look at the fuel and there was scarcely a drop of very dirty gas:
[photo=medium]3188[/photo][photo=medium]3191[/photo]

So anyway I'm planning on replacing the missing parts and getting this saw running nice. I'm not sure quite how pretty I'll get it looking - for me for first thing to do is get it mechanically sound. If you want to see any more of the first piccies we took - they are here in this album:
[album=medium]1623[/album]

Well, I've already had some help from AS on this project. Ray Benson very kindly send some manuals, Big T helped out with a couple of p/n's and questions - thanks guys. And looking at some previous AS threads, we think that we've figured out the meanings of some model designations:

064 - standard model, normal wrap
064R - model with full wrap
064W - model with heated handles
064RW - model with heated handles and full wrap
(please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!)

So I thought I should post a thread to update people as I do any work on the saw - or to cry for help if I get stuck!

later
Matt

iv'e seen a lot worse Matt. :laugh: that you were able to get it running is a plus. good luck on your project. don't have a clue what a quid is.:dumb2:
Cool thanks for your encouraging words, Steve

BTW quid is just an english pound :lol: but I don't know what that is in dollars or whatever - but I reckon I did ok!

Help! I'm stuck on trying to order a part. It's the standard clutch cover I need. The IPL says:

1122 640 1702

and it says it comes with the sawdust guard and the bumper strip.

but my parts people in the UK - who I actually really like -

http://www.lsengineers.co.uk

don't seem to list that pn anymore. their site just lists

1125 640 1701

unfortunately their site doesn't say whether it comes with the guard + the strip. I'm guessing it does... (I can see the guard on the site's) Can anyone confirm that 1125 640 1701 is the right updated part number?

Also wondered if anything else comes with this p.n. - since there's a whole bunch of stuff I'm ordering.

thanks in advance!
Matt

iv'e seen a lot worse Matt. :laugh: that you were able to get it running is a plus. good luck on your project. don't have a clue what a quid is.:dumb2:
that is just a typo on his part Steve, Matt made the trip with 120 SQUID in his pocket :)
Dave

Hey Matt, OEM Stihl clutch covers are sold without the guard and bumper strips.
To use the modern series of covers you may have to replace your inner side plate with a modern version, this is a quick cheap fix and will make life easier in the long run.
With the modern style inner side plate you can then use OEM or aftermarket covers in the standard or large sizes interchangeably.
Dave

that is just a typo on his part Steve, Matt made the trip with 120 SQUID in his pocket :)
Dave

Hey Matt, OEM Stihl clutch covers are sold without the guard and bumper strips.
To use the modern series of covers you may have to replace your inner side plate with a modern version, this is a quick cheap fix and will make life easier in the long run.
With the modern style inner side plate you can then use OEM or aftermarket covers in the standard or large sizes interchangeably.
Dave

Thanks for this info, Dave... So if I need the side cover, bar studs and the side plate what's the simplest set of pn.s that I need?

1138 664 2400 studs
and
1122 640 1707 cover
and
1128 664 1002 or 1128 664 1001 side plate?

and did you say that if I get 1122 640 1707 cover I need to order the guard and strips separately?

I sell a couple of the clutch covers (large style) weekly and they always need the spare pieces separate, I am likely wrong about the standard cover, I just never buy them.
this is the newer standardized inner side plate
1128 664 1001
Dave

You're right about the other cover Dave, 1122 640 1708, doesn't include the bumper or the guard (different guard) for some reason, so these need to be ordered separately.

Hi Folks

I've not really done a great deal with the saw over the past week really I'm afraid... The new parts came a few days back and I've thrown most of them on now. Thanks again to Big t Double for helping with PNs and to Dan Forsh for the side plate.

[photo=medium]3250[/photo][photo=medium]3251[/photo]
[photo=medium]3252[/photo]

Now I have fresh filters and spark plug I'll probably put them on next and some fresh juice and see how good it runs just like that. Then maybe have a better look at it depending e.g. clean the carb, pull the muffler to look at the piston etc.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted,

Matt

Taking it slow with this project... the last (and first!) chainsaw I played with was my 200t - and I rushed into that one a bit - with little experience.

Anyway I've ordered the carb service kit for my 064, should be here this weekend and so I thought I'd spend some time this evening taking off a few more bits and giving the saw a bit more of a clean.

So I found out the carb that's fitted is the compensator one.... cos the filter base has the slot here for it:
[photo=medium]3260[/photo]

Also see that the flywheel has a P and X marking - wondered if that means it's suitable for both analog and digital ignition - I guess some of you 064 heads out there might know a bit more about these marks...
[photo=medium]3262[/photo]

Probably spend tomorrow evening trying to get more sawdust and crud out of the filter/carb area, before I take the actual carb off this weekend. Wondered if any of you guys had any advice on that for me... i.e. if there's anything that's really tricky or anything to take particularly slowly...

later
Matt

Use an air compressor to blow all the dust,dirt, and crud out. When you go to take the carb off you'll want to remove the black handle cover and unhook the throttle linkage from the trigger. It's much easier to unhook the linkage at that end instead of trying to get it off the carb itself.

Use an air compressor to blow all the dust,dirt, and crud out. When you go to take the carb off you'll want to remove the black handle cover and unhook the throttle linkage from the trigger. It's much easier to unhook the linkage at that end instead of trying to get it off the carb itself.
Hi Whiskers

Yeah I've already been using comp air a bit to clean it - I'll have it good soon!

Thanks for the tip about the linkage - I guess you're saying get it a bit slacker from the handle first before attacking the bit where the link joins the carb. Anyway I'll probably do that in a few days and heed your advice.

thanks again
Matt

Back