ArboristSite.com Sponsors

064 stihl

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by HorseFaller, Nov 17, 2010.

1. HorseFaller

HorseFaller AboristSite Guru

I have blown 064 and am having problems getting a new piston and jug. Does anyone know will a 066/660 bolt up with no major mods.[other then maybe crank or flywheel swap] Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Would hate to toss it on the parts pile.

logging22 likes this.
  2. stihlboy

stihlboy mmmmm mayo

066 jug needs to have the bolt holes slotted for it to work

3. oscar4883

oscar4883 Addicted to ArboristSite

Baileys has pistons. The cylinder may be salvageable. Post some pics of the inside of the cylinder. Especially the exhaust side if that is where the most scoring is. Great saws those 064's. I have two. One is stock and the other has a 660 top end on it. The only way anybody is getting them from me is at gunpoint! LOL

4. HorseFaller

Ya the jug isn't to bad but the rings are sealed in the piston. I had a maxflow/holeshot intake/filter, put on, with a dual port muffler. I was thinking a 66 big bore kit, making it 4mm oversized would make this a beast to not be reckoned with. I found the kit at baileys but couldn't find the piston and jug kit. May need to go back and look harder.

stihlboy likes this.
  5. nmurph

nmurph ArboristSite.com Sponsor

get an 066 BB from baileys. it only needs to have the case bolt slots lengthened a little and retap the holes for the stronger, M6 x 25mm bolts...no need to clearance the case....unreal power and not as heavy as an 066.

6. Scooterbum

Scooterbum Addicted to ArboristSite

066BB is the way to go.
    I have one and love it.
    Big improvement over stock.

7. HorseFaller

Makes me want to go cut just thinking about it. Will try to send vid once done need to finish big bore in my 440 before starting another project. any more ideas are welcomed. Thanx

8. ZeroJunk

ZeroJunk Addicted to ArboristSite

Episan makes a piston for the 064 and the Greek guy on eBay has them for $38 dollars I think it is. I have used the Episan pistons and the quality was excellent, at least on the ones I have used.

9. Oldsawnut

Oldsawnut Addicted to ArboristSite

Its a little more involved than that if you do it right and tap it for the next bigger screws like the 066 has... PITA to get the ones on the PTO side... Flywheel side is easy. If I were you I would try to salvage the cylinder then buy the piston ring kit from balleys or off ebay. I would rather have a stock 064 than one with a BB kit on it any day.

10. nmurph

nmurph ArboristSite.com Sponsor

i used vice grips to hold the tap on the rear flywheel hole. it was not a problem. the quality of the 066BB is equal to or better than OEM. this is not the case with most aftermarket P/C's, but it is with this one.