066 rebuild (locked up)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. So did the owner straight gas it? Shows massive loss of lubrication and heat build up. Pretty fragged. Looks kind of like straight gas run way too lean with no air cleaner in a sand storm.

Yep it's gone. One of the needles is somehow still stuck in between rod and side of crank. I just can't get it to show in a picture. I found out some history on the saw yesterday. The saw belonged to a mans father in law. He gave it to son in law AFTER it had been setting for close to three years. So son in law put fresh mix in it. It fired up. So son in law thinks it's good to go and starts giving it hell cutting trees for fire wood and such. Two three days later he says it got really hard to pull over but would start and run. Then one day not long after the initial hardness to pull over it started and ran but died and would not pull over. That's when it got brought to me and too where we are at this point. But it was not straight gassed as I know he ran an 044 and 026 on the same gas. But air filter was pretty horrific in my opinion. I just need to know if this means a new crank and connecting rod or can these cranks be split and new rod bearing be installed. I've split a lot of cases and put in new bearings seals and such but never saw this before so I need some advice.

And some people are just straight up cheap. They want things fixed as cheaply as possible and think that $40 on a used crank is crazy when you can get an entire Ryobi for that price.

It's a complete 066 but it's not perfect by any means. You know. One of those saws that slides around in the back of a truck all its life. The father in law was a logger in our area for many years so there's no telling what kind of life this saw lived before son in law got to melt it down. I'm thinking aftermarket as he's said he just wants it to run again. IV been looking around the internet and there's ALOT of choices on cranks all the way to long blocks in which all I'd have to do is swap original tanks and hardware to and be done. Have any of y'all had any dealings with these aftermarket parts.

If that's my saw I would change the rod as well. Those rainbow colors are sign of severe overheating that can impair structural integrity of that rod. If he doesn't care, you can get an am engine and move rest of the parts over. He would get two different estimates from me , one for rebuilding with am engine, and other one would be for rebuilding that saw with OEM parts. He would get an honest opinion on both options with all pros and cons so he can make appropriate decision that suits him the best.

Rod doesn't come off the crank so when you change the crank you change the rod also.
The bluing is from heat treating at the factory.

I port new saws all the time that are blue just the same.

I didn't figure I could just change the rod but wasn't sure. I've done a lot of saws as far as the (routine) stuff. I've just never really looks at the cranks very closely like this problem.

Same customer dropped off a 660 today with a bad p/c cracked fuel tank and other plastic parts. The saw in post has a good p/c so I'll swap that out alone with tank and see if I can get one outta two. We'll see what happens. Hopefully all will be good.

Back