066 value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mentioned the 460. That's what I just got with a full wrap and paid $785.00. I slapped a 24" bar on it and am beyond satisfied with the performance. I would weigh my options carefully. If you are looking at occasional use perhaps the "gutted" 66 is what you want. Andy is probably right about the life considering. Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck.

I have two 460s,,, both with dual port Muffler covers,,,,,, THey flat kick butt for a 76cc saw I run a 28" on one and a 24 on the other,,,,,,have put a 36 on just for flushing off stumps,,, with full comp semichisel,,,,,, doesnt take long to tie up 700 in a 066mag total rebuild,,,,,, If I was gonna spend that much....... Id pony up and get a new one!!!! JMHO!!!!!!!

No problem!!!!!!

The OEM PC will cost you from a dealer 300+ bearings and seals gasket kit another 130+ ,,,, a good carcass 066 with all the parts and covers goes for 300+ something to think about????

you can find the parts cheaper but not by much!!!!! the parts did not cost them that though!!!!! plus their labor

Last edited:
The shop I go to sells the 660 w/28" b&c for $940. Which one is a better deal?

Its $1080 MSRP here. I dont know what they'd knock it down to, if any. The 460 is $850 with a 25" bar. I may just stick with my original plans and get a 460. Sounds like it will do anything I'd ever need. I would run a 25" on it then keep a 32" with skip handy for the big flush cuts. I handled a 460 the other day at the dealer with a 25 and it seemed pretty nose heavy, sure I'm not going to be limbing with it, but the 660 felt much more balanced and better in my hands. I dont really want to run a big bar on the 361, I use it too much to be switching from one bar to another.

IMO-$650 is a lot for a used 066, but it might be worth it if it is in realy good shape. The parts and labor comes to about what they are asking for it.
If I was in the market for it, I would take the starter cover off, and look at the starter pawls and the check for a groove where the starter rope comes out. Take off the clutch cover and check the brake band and clutch for wear.
Ask for a 30 day warrenty to give you time to shake it down and check their work.
Also is there sales tax on it. Sales tax will add a lot to a new saw, and if they don't have to charge it for a used one it will save you quite a bit.
If it all looks good and the saw looks good enough to make you happy and you can expect good service out of it, then it may be worth what they are asking.

Back