070-088-076-090 torque comparisons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone run a Sachs Dolmar 166
up against any of these Stihls, Mac 125
or others.
The 166 is rated 12 HP SAE at 8000 rpm
full load. The 166 is 118 cc's and to me
they pull some chips.
The 143 is also rated at 11 HP SAE which
i thought was a lot for a 95 cc saw at 8500.

Would like to here your experiences.

Regards Lee

or others.
they pull some chips.

Regards Lee

I'm not talking with backing or experience here - but 11HP from an 95cc motor in a saw sounds like SAE is a different unit from DIN (what the previous ones are I think)

if you check out acres site, the 143 is listed at 5.0 kW, or 11SAE horsepower. using 746 W/hp this give 6.7 hp, about right for that size saw. likewise the 166 is 'only' 7.9 hp for our arguement.

But you didn't have an 070 in there, and now I want one![/QUOTE]

No, no 070 butI did have a lightning contra (same cc and basic design) it did not have a top cover but it ran well. Before I pirated parts from itr for my first 090 I ran it with the same 32" bar that I was using on one of my 075's. It was a strong runner and I liked the setup of the handles but it was not as torquey or as fast as the 075.

But you didn't have an 070 in there, and now I want one!

No, no 070 butI did have a lightning contra (same cc and basic design) it did not have a top cover but it ran well. Before I pirated parts from itr for my first 090 I ran it with the same 32" bar that I was using on one of my 075's. It was a strong runner and I liked the setup of the handles but it was not as torquey or as fast as the 075.[/QUOTE]

hmm, ok then... But what was it's compression like? DO you think it was running at full power? So what's up with the figures...?

Just looked at the chart. How is the 090g at 106cc (with less hp) making 4.4 ft lbs more torque than the 090av at 137cc ( same rpm)?

The 090G engine creates the same torque as an 070, but, it will double the torque at the chain while halving the chain speed (final drive rpm) compared to a regular 070.

Last edited:
or others.
they pull some chips.

Regards Lee

Yeah, but the 090 were rated at both 13 and 15 SAE hp - those hp simply doesn't tell you much........:(

I don't even believe there is a formula to convert them anything useful.

Last edited:
The 090G engine creates the same torque as an 070, but, it will double the torque at the chain while halving the chain speed (final drive rpm) compared to a regular 070.
Yes, but it sort of is a fake, as the torque at the crank is the same as the 070, torque on the chain depends on several factors.....

hmm, ok then... But what was it's compression like? DO you think it was running at full power? So what's up with the figures...?[/QUOTE]

The contra was running strong. I did not do a comp test, but the contra (no mdecomp) was harder to pull over than the 075 wihtout hitting the decomp button.

I am not trying to argue the numbers here. I am willing to take the word of someone who is more knowledgeable on the actual stats. What I am doing here is giving first hand impressions of how the saws pull in actual big hardwood. My 090 is one of my favorite saws because nothing stock can touch it's brute force quotient and I know the 070 is the little bro to the 090, but I would surely take an 075 before an 070 for actual cutting, even if they were both available new.

Last edited:
I am not trying to argue the numbers here. I am willing to take the word of someone who is more knowledgeable on the actual stats. What I am doing here is giving first hand impressions of how the saws pull in actual big hardwood. My 090 is one of my favorite saws because nothing stock can touch it's brute force quotient and I know the 070 is the little bro to the 090, but I would surely take an 075 before an 070 for actual cutting, even if they were both available new.

yeah ok, i understand. I'm actually very pleased cos I've just got my second 075... and was considering trading one for an 070, but what you say confirms what I think it should be like, even if the numbers tell a different story. But numbers aren't eveyrthing. Thanks for the observations

I just sold a healthy running 070 to an AS member that I owned for some time. Definitly a good saw, but I just ran a 075 for the first time and the 075 definitly feels to be a much stronger saw I believe the fact that it pulls another 1000 rpm or so must be the reason despite peak hp in the 7500 rpm range.

yeah ok, i understand. I'm actually very pleased cos I've just got my second 075... and was considering trading one for an 070, but what you say confirms what I think it should be like, even if the numbers tell a different story. But numbers aren't everything. Thanks for the observations

I'm actually very displeased! I own an 070, but, it does have a brand new 090 6 shoe clutch and drum and i'm looking for an 090 pot and piston to give me the serious torque i really don't need, but want anyway.

I just sold a healthy running 070 to an AS member that I owned for some time. Definitly a good saw, but I just ran a 075 for the first time and the 075 definitly feels to be a much stronger saw I believe the fact that it pulls another 1000 rpm or so must be the reason despite peak hp in the 7500 rpm range.

Yup, I was very suprised at the pulling power the 075 had when I first put it to wood.

Latest posts

Back