084 kicking my "wooden" butt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul quatrale

Reaction score
084 kicking back on start up. Replaced a bad coil with part number 1124 400 1308 and all was good with spark. On almost every pull comp. release valve pops and handle kicks back like a mule. I did notice that the new coil was smaller than original, thought just a more modern version. Any knowledge about getting this right would be most appreciated! Its a great piece, 8yrs. old, not much time on it, but man can it kick! Thanks, Paul

Could be. But since he just replaced the coil, I'd suspect it'sa mismatch with his flywheel. Some flywheels had two keyways cut in them, so all you may have to do it pull the flywheel and reinstall using the other keyway.

That was my thinking. He could have replace the module 1124 400 1305 with the 1308 module which would require him to switch his 1124 400 1201 flywheel from the 'P' slot to the 'X' slot.

Good call on the multi keyed crankshaft guys.

I was told a story once by my local stihl dealer about their apprentice, he was a young lad and was very interested in the "big" 088 which had been brought in for repair by a tree maintenance company.
The Mechanic knew the saw had the flywheel twisted round either by shearing the key the flywheel itself was damaged or the key hadn't been put back in at all by some other "home mechanic" and the saw was liable to "kick" more than a little.
So he said to the eager young apprentice "give her a pluck and see what's wrong with her", needless to explain the rest, apart from the fact that the apprentice got the afternoon off with suspected broken fingers! :censored:
He was alright though, they were just well bruised.
The mechanic doesn't play tricks like that any more either.

Latest posts

Back