088 hop up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dan, good question. The current models in Casnada,all have the same epa stardards as the saws sold in the United States, however Canada still sells the 08S, TS350, 038 and 090 models which have the same unfixed carbs as they always have had since the beginning of their production, but I am not obligated to tell you that the semifixed jets can be easily defeated on current model saws.
John

horsepower/dyno

Hello Robert,
Good to have john lambert, dennis greffords, and rotax robert on the arboristsite. makes for some good mechanical discussions.
16.75 hp on your 088 sounds good must run strong. I have a air dyno that sacks-dolmar made but it tops out at about 8 hp so it will only carry to about a stock 066 stihl or 394 husky. We estimate our 3120's, 090's and mac karts at 20- 24 horsepower. The top guys are cutting 31-32 inch logs at high 6 second to low 7 second cuts. Art martin blew everyone away at placerville with his 090 with a 4.58 second cut in a 24 inch log. but probably 5-6 horsepower is in his belly bar and 1/2 inch chain. Hey Art if you have your ears on send us a photo of your 090
ken dunn

jonsered 2095

hello dennis
Since you are a jonsered dealer and the premier engine builder in Clearwater B.C. its only fitting that you build two 2095 jonsered's . change the port timing, carbs, and install pipes and put them on a double ended bar and then rotax robert and his twin 088's will have someone to race.
ken

P.S. Dennis, recieved two more packages today

Ken, that does sound interesting that is for sure, I will see what I can do to get my hands on a couple...I do have a pair of old 930's though...hmmm..one is already ported...have to look into that..

will call ya on those parcels..

Dennis

I have never had so much fun reading a thread in my life. It’s so nice to think there are people like me on this planet that won’t call me a freak when I start talking about modifying a chainsaw for fun. Hey I have a question for you knowledgeable fellows. Have you guys ever thought about putting a 125cc 2-stroke GP motorcycle motor into a frame? I have a buddy that races these little bad boys and according to him 40hp and around 14000RPM is attainable. I haven’t as of yet started doing any chainsaw mods, I’m going to wait till I'm done with my mechanical engineering degree (lots of Homework and studies) because I just don’t have the time. But that was my first idea for a hot saw. But thanks again guys its nice to know there are people out there that just sit around and think about "what if I pull out my v-8 out of my pick up and.... "

confused

You will be alot more confused when you realize that you have to reverse the crank remember that those engines essentially run backwards so the transmission goes the right direction. As for the V8 why not I did.:D

Hey Robert I saw on ESPN some time ago guys using quadrunner 500cc motors (four strokes?). Did that used to be the popular build up and is not really used any more in favor of better powerplants?

I doubt they were 4 stroke although I may be wrong. There are several 4 stroke saws out there but they are all slow heavy saws (I mean real slow) most saws were 250cc and up to 500cc 2 stroke motorcycle engines. Now days they use snowmobile engines mostly like my 325 rotax. Of course there are bigger saws nowadays with the big boys going to 500cc motorcycle and snowmobile engines usually in the 80 to 90 hp range while the 325 rotax sits at 70 hp. I think the limit must be around the 100 hp range due to the chain 1/2" pitch then being the weekest link. Even with our 300 hp saws the 3/4 pitch chain fails so I doubt 600 hp would gain you much. I might add that the biggest of saws are usually ran on the west coast due to fact that we mostly live start (one cut)where as midwest and east go with the dead start (3 cut). also our wood is usually never smaller than 27" and mostly sits around 30" or larger.

I have a 250 Rotax, Can Am, Bombadier motorcycle chain saw. It was orginally built by Sven Johnson I think. He did some real competing with in when hardly anyone else had these things. I don't know if it will be good today but I want to get it going anyway. He used to compete back East.
It doesn't have spark and those old CD ignitions and parts are hard to find. I think it is a 1976. Anybody got ignition parts for me? Mike

Clearwater Chainsaw Revival

hey all, i have 5 prime acres of hayfield right next door to my shop that I would be more than happy to donate to a couple days of sawdust and testosterone...I have several logging truck loads of wood ranging in size...camping and rv spots available....John Lambert can even cook the meals on the 45 gallon drum I have converted to a bbq...build some bleachers..charge admission and start the show...lol...hmmm...there could be something to this...

Dennis Greffard
Greffards Saw Shop
Clearwater B.C.
[email protected]

Dennis! thats a great idea! I cook a mean moose meat Rigatoni and pan baked Banock. What would your neighbours think though?
Just how many antique saws are there on your roof now anyway? Couldnt Santa get those huge geardrives down the chimney?
Mike, that saw looks like it might be a good one. I noticed the cutters were filed from back to front. What is the purpose of the aluminum head other than to keep the plug from being spit out?
John

John That aluminium head is the best way to control compression ratio and combustion chamber shape. There is horsepower to be had with changes of this type. With the stock barrel we are limited to how much compression because of the combustion chamber bowl size. When we make our own head we can even move the spark plug to a different location. If someone made a pop-up piston that would fit up into the chamber, that would help. If you try to weld additional dome onto the top then you get a heavy piston. The balance is wrong and heavy pistons don't like to run fast. All that starting and stopping at 15,000 RPMs tends to stretch and break the rod. Mike

There are strange things done under the midnight sun by the men who moil for more horse power.
Rotax Robert says he has the saws that make a mortal man cower.

So if it's a race you want, I won't let it be....but Dammit anyway don't start those saws till I get back...cuz I gotta pee.

Anybody for CLEARWATER or ENUMCLAW for the race...I am :D

Robert, Where are these places. My geography is weak so I need help. I think every western state has a Clearwater.
We should run this contest under handicap rules. For instance 1" of log diameter for every 10cc of displacement. That would mean a 40cc Husky would cut a 4" log against your rotax cutting a 32.5" log. What do you think? Of course that means the v-8 with about 5 liters would have to cut a 500" log! I think my 2100 Husky with 100cc would cut a ten inch log pretty fast. Mike

Rotax Robert

Hello Robert
Talked to dennis up in clearwater b.c. yesterday. he says he already has one 2095 ported and is working on the second one. you'd better watch out, you'd better not shout, you'd better not cry, im telling you why, dennis will have 2 hot 2095's that will give your 088's a good run.
Christmas ken

To make it fair the would have to be a handicap on the Huskys. The Stihl 088 with 120cc could have a 12" log, while your 2100 could have a 24" log, I think that would be fair to the Stihl. Also make sure Husqvarna provides the Swedish Cheerleaders. We dont need any German cheerleaders:)

Aluminum spark plug holder

Hello john.
The reason we cut the top off of the barrel and machine a new cylinder head for a saw motor is to lower the volume of the combustion chamber. unlike a 4-stroke motor a 2-stroke motor's compression ratio is determined by where the top of the exhaust port is placed.the corrected compression ratio is determined by the volume in cc's when the piston cracks open divided by the volume of the combustion and squish volume. on my 3120 husky it came with a 14.5 cc combustion chamber. it had a corrected compression ratio of around 6-1. when you remove the top of barrel and build a cylinder head with a 6.5cc chamber the compression ratio changes to around 10-1 corrected compression ratio.stihl and husky rate their saws the normal 4- stroke method,pi,xradius squared x length. this comes out to around 9.5 stock compression ratio. there is about 5-6 horsepower in the combustion change in building a removable head for your 3120 or 088 motor
ken

Back