090 Hot Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade Huggins

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
Any of you guys have any opinions on wether or not the 090 makes a good competitive hot saw or not? I am curious I have an old 090 my father use to cut with years ago. Its stihl in great shape considering it was made in the mid to late seventies. Let me know what you think.............Wade

I'm sure that you've been to some of the contests in WV, and noted that most everybody runs a 3120. The question is what level of commitment are you interested in making, and what do you want to get out of the competitions. If you just want to run, and have fun, or if you don't have $2000 to spend on a new 3120 hotsaw, then by all means have the 090 modified and go racing. If you can afford it, a 3120 would probably be that better choice. There are a number of people there who have running hotsaws for decades, and they know their game, so winning with something less than a state of the art saw will be tough.

There is no question that 090's can be made into competative hotsaws, Art Martin's being a prime example. I just think that a 3120 or 088 will be faster, all else being equal. If you don't have the cash, the 090 will be a lot of fun, and you might just surprise somebody.

The major problem with running the 090 in the hotsaw class is weight. You have the about the same power as an 088 hotsaw with the weight of a small motorcycle saw. 8x8, 10x10's and a few 12x12's are what you will mostly run in.
As far as cost of a 3120 to break into the top 10 at most small shows expect to pay around $2500 with a good deal on a saw. Most of the top saws that I race agaist are in the $4500+ range. But these saws run in the mid to high 3's in 10x10's.
If I did it again I would find a good used saw and start with that. It will save you some money in RnD for what setup works for you.
The best way to get faster... practice your starts you want to be under 1 sec. from go till the saw hits the wood, and don't forget you need to start that saw.

Good luck,
Chris

Wade Huggins,

The 090 is a great competitive saw if it is modified correctly and has a racing chain that is designed specifically for that saw and has the correct sprocket.

When you bring the human element into the equation such as adding starting time to the total time, then the actual cutting time is of no consequence. Here on the West Coast, we come to saw wood not only to start saws. The timed cuts start when the chain hits the wood at full speed. So if you want to compare saws, you start the saw, warm it up and then go for it. To discount the 090 as a top competitor in the 6 cu and over would be a mistake.

Starting the saw is a handicap to a lot of people with handicaps and such. For example, Ken Dunn is a top sawyer but because of his bad back and health problems, he can’t compete if starting the saw is part of the contest. It’s like starting to time a 100-yard dash by requiring a person to put on his shoes first.

I have a new email address. We finally got on a cable Internet system. The address is: [email protected].

Art Martin

Hey Finnguy, did you ever recover from all the woodticks that migrated your way in Calif? Send me out for a walk and I will come back with a tree crew. You'd be proud of me Art, I have a hardnose belly bar on my KD 088, looks ugly, but really chows down on the woodfibre, and why wouldn't it?
John

Hi Ken, yes Ole Art was a hard driving bullbucker, always made me get on the busy end of the saw, while he was spittin out snoose, I was spittin out sawdust, but when we got back to camp the bullcook always had prime rib cooking while Art and I went out salmon fishing.
Art always had more energy than I, while he chowed down on carrot sticks, I poked back Busch beer, and why wouldn't I?
John

John,

I remember that old Mall real well. Looks like the model 7 that I used in the 50s.

I think Robert is coming back to California, September 20th for a saw fest in Oroville, Calif., that's Ken Dunn's territory. Sure enjoyed the Calif. Clearwater Revival that Mike put on last March. Hope he does it again next year. We'll put you guys up and furnish the grub and the beer.

Art

Back