1/4" rim sprocket for ms261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw10

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ive got 1/4" sprockets on many saws.....the only saws I have 1/4" rim sprockets for are ms250's. I'm looking to purchase a 261, but only If I know for sure I can run 1/4" chain on it. Does anyone know if these 1/4" rim sprockets will match up to the same size splines (on the optional 261 rim/drum)as what's used on the ms250 drum?

....and also, does a ms261 have the large bar mount pattern, or smaller bar mount like the ms250?

That is an aftermarket, usually Oregon small spline drum. I mean usually in that why by aftermarket, even unbranded would be the small spline. I have been told no Stihl mini spline 1/4 rim sprocket. Someone else will have to say if that is what an 26x Stihl has or can be equipped with. The bar mount for an 26x would be the 3003 with a bigger slot. The nuts probably are smaller than a shoulder in the studs where the bar goes.

I found an ipl for a ms261 and it appears the rim sprocket for 0.325 is the same mini spline as my ms251. http://www.lsengineers.co.uk/clutch-assembly-for-stihl-ms261.html I would think if you wanted it bad enough you could find an oregon kit in small spline. I got a couple of 10 tooth sprockets off ebay. All I can find any where else are 9 tooth.

This kit has the rim drive set up I suspect you are after plus a bar. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piltz-18-in...817719?hash=item3f406ce3f7:g:oIIAAOxydB1SgSXs

Thanks Franny.
Got everything running today. Ms261 cm with Oregon drum(for ms260) and 1/4" Oregon rim. Using a 16" Cannon toonie bar and stihl 1/4" chain. This setup kicks ass! Pretty sure it's faster than the 3/8" picco ps I've been using on this saw. It's definitely a better borer and lengthwise/rip cuts. It seems much more aggressive even though it's "semi chisel" compared to the stihl picco full chisel ps chain. I am initially very happy with this setup! I really want to do some timed cuts comparing these chains. I'm willing to bet the 1/4" is all around faster. I may also order a Cannon arborist tip bar for this saw....a bit bigger nose than the toonie tip.

Interesting stuff guys! I was going to swap clutch drums on a ms261 to Oregon setup with small spline rather than the factory mini you get stock just so I could buy cheaper more accessible rims. Was the Oregon drum you got for a ms260? With the little cutout in it?

Yes I find 1/4" Stihl "carving" chain to be the fastest and smoothest on this saw....and my 241. It blows away the 3/8" and .325 setups I have.

It looks like the 13RM Stihl Chain I have. It is my understanding there are some chains out there designed for dime noses.

While the M would mean micro as in micro chisel the flat spot is rather small on the side, the closest thing to a totally curved cutter in my chain stock, Fully curved cutters are often called chipper chain, not sure if that is really correct terminology.

There have been 10 tooth small spline 1/4 inch sprockets though I only have found them on ebay.

It'd be interesting to see a timed comparison.
If it's faster you'd think some guys here would jump at even the possibility of it.

I would actually argue that it's more durable than 3/8" picco super. The links are equal thickness. 1/4" links are actually a hair taller. And I think the shorter length of links makes them stronger(is it easier to snap a full pencil in half, or a 2" long pencil in half?)
Also the teeth of 1/4" chain are lower...so less force bashing into the grains of wood when cutting? Taller teeth 3/8 I think is more stress on the chain.

IMG_2553.JPG I've been using a 18" toonie tip for a few months now with 1/4"

I also run 1/4" on my 241 with a Stihl 1/4" roller nose bar
IMG_2554.JPG

At the small end of chain offerings it seems the Stihl vs Oregon robustness difference seems more. I did not get too good macro photo results but see the difference Oregon 25ap vs Stihl 13rm. My 13rm is a produce code prior to what I see on the Stihl literature now. As for Oregon 25ap is up to 38cc, 91vxl is up to 42cc. The tiny drive links make for much more derailing for the stuff I do, as opposed to 3/8lp. The Oregon 25ap can need quite frequent adjustments, again for the stuff I do. I am not sure which is faster, or could be made faster with differing drive sprockets in a cross cut situation. The 1/4 certainly seems less suited for noodling type cuts. quarter chain close up.JPG

I went thru a 100' roll of Oregon 1/4" about 10 years ago. It cuts really rough and jumps off the bar for sure.
The Stihl carving 1/4" stuff is a whole different thing. There is no comparison between these two chains

Latest posts

Back