100 Deg Club 2014-15

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in MA and it never gets to -20. Maybe there should be a 80 degree club for those who cant'g get into the big boys club?

I live in MA and it never gets to -20. Maybe there should be a 80 degree club for those who cant'g get into the big boys club?

hahaha, me neither! If we ever even get close to being in the 100 degree club, I won't get to enjoy it, because I'll be out in the barn shoving hay to my pet wooly mammoths.

During polar vortex last winter, I think we hit the 70 degree club. Most of the time, I am totally content to being in the 30-40 degree club at the most.

My wife thinks the house should be 100* in the winter, and meat curing temps in the summer. I probably stay in the 100* club year round. Its about 30* outside right now and the house is 72*, so I guess I am officially in the 40* club:crazy2:

We have been in mid 40's-50 for a few days now, not even dipping to freezing. I haven't even had stove or any other heat running for 48 hours+ and house staying at 70. Crazy. Dang frost coming out of ground and condensation coming out of concrete in shed.

Will be a bit before I even have a shot at the 100 degree club. I did get my ceramic blanket back in stove that I forgot about. Did a little stove polishing, and got single wall chimney cleaned in house I did not get done when cleaned outside chimney. So all in all not bad. I got a ton of kindling cut up too the last week from scrap pallet company all 1"x4' pine, cut to 16". It's a lot.

I did get some new exhaust on the wood hauler, hope to get a few mpg and some hp, it is a touch loud.......anyway

It's 75° in here now. I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

It can get in the 40s° during the day when winter is at it's coldest. I'll scrape windows for a week, two max. It is a big difference from Illinois where I grew up. I know we were in the 100° club more then once growing up. My blood thinned since I moved here.

Storm_zps63b0a697.jpg

This new talk of a new 60, 70, or 80 club has me thinking back on my college days of the century club vs the power hour club. For those not familiar, it's a 1 ounce shot of beer every minute for the allotted time. The power hour club thought they were big and bad until the century club stomped on their sissy drinking skills. Either way, I live in south Jersey where it may reach zero on a really cold night and my OWB keeps my house at a steady, thermostat controlled temperature so I'm not worried about what differential I hit, just that the wife and kids are warm 24/7.

And that century club is much much tougher than the power hour for those who can't burp on command usually throw up somewhere in the 70's as they take too much air in their stomachs and can't release it on their own terms.

I woulda made membership but I was up around the 56th parallel 2 weeks ago and this was the day time high so it doesn't count. The next day and 500 km south and it was 29.....

We have had a really mild weather this winter with minor bouts of cold snaps, and wild swings. what a winter....1203141856b.jpg

Last year was my best opportunity to join the club as we had some of the coldest recorded temperature of myifetime.

I'm not sure that my owb has the ability to keep my house 100 degrees warmer than outside.

At -20, the boiler ran pretty much flat out 100% of the time to keep the house near 70.

Maybe if it hits -20 again in my lifetime I'll find a load of bone dry pine or oak or something that burns hot just to see if I can get the house up to 80!

Yeah the cooler sauna. Lol. Hunting cabin sauna can do 300+

I just don't think I have ever been in anything like that before..seems you would cook. I was a member at a gym that had a steam bath, but no way was it that hot.

I just don't think I have ever been in anything like that before..seems you would cook. I was a member at a gym that had a steam bath, but no way was it that hot.
It takes a little getting used to. Kind of like eating spicy food or drinking whiskey neat. You don't go all out the first time.

Most hotel saunas are around 140-150. Scandinavians around here are a bit more hearty lol.

Later in the evening.
image.jpg

75 club right now
Me also this morning... -6° verses 71°.
We need to hit somethin' close to -30° before I'll make the 100° club (this year)... makin' my chances pretty slim.
We only see -30° once every decade or so, and last year used up a few decades worth.
I reckon I could warm the house up to 85° on a -15° morning just to claim membership, but the wife would move out if it got that hot in here.
(I'm savin' that play.)

Back