100 octane gas will "burn up" saw???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never put it in a saw but I have bought it (100LL) by the drum for my ac (aircraft) powered airboat. The ac motors run way cooler on 100LL than on regular type gasoline, even if you use very high octane racing gas in an ac airboat it will run hotter than using 100LL. I know its not a chainsaw but that is my experience with aviation fuel.

the only thing about the fuel i'm running is it's leaded and oxegenated (ethenol) wich is what we are trying to avoid but it seems to keep longer.
i run u4.2 wich is 102 octane, but there's u4e wich is 93 octane. check the
website it's pretty good stuff.

Which one do you recommend? C10?

I can't remember the exact no. would have to look it up again. They have one that is formulated for high rev 2 strokes. Couldn't bring myself to pay that for it. Iv'e been trying to find Sonoco cam2 local,100 octane unleaded.

I have a new saw set up by the dealer to run on avgas.I was wondering if I switched to high octane non ethanol gasoline what type of carburetor adjustments might be necessary?IE/richer/leaner Thanks,Ron

I had all of my saws tuned to 100LL and the "tuner man" and I both thought they run as good or better. The 361 and 441 definiately ran better, and the advanced 084 ran better tested with 36" bar buried in Oak, as per "tune man".

All the saws are ported some are advanced by locktite'n the flywheel one key slot space over. It has worked for years on many saws. The "tune man" said he could lean them out a lot more and they pulled harder with the 100LL.

They don't idle or handle any differently in moderate use conditions, but I like the advantage of longer shelf life when they are not being used as much. I think they have more torque with the slower burning fuel because the "burn" is slower and longer ...... not just a "flash bang", so it pushes on the piston top for split seconds longer than faster burning fuels.

Quite possibly this is all in my head, but I don't think so, as I have run these saws enough to know their "feel", even to the point of my trigger finger having to get accustom to not pulling the trigger as far up, for certain cuts, after they were modded and then again after switching to Race fuel or 100LL.

I ran my saws many an hour on just pump gas, and never had a problem, but I have modded these harder and have more money in them. The little difference in the price of 100LL to better pump gas isn't a big deal to me.

My experience and opinion,

Sam

There is a product out now, I found at the Fire Equipment dealer, called Tool Fuel. It is 92 or 93 Octane no ethanol, and seems to run very well in the Fire Dept's Saws and generators. We have been running it for about 6 or 7 weeks with no issues. Im going to be picking up a can for my own equipment soon. This may be the answer to the growing Ethanol problem.

Here is a link to the flier
http://www.esiequipment.com/PDF_FILES/ESI Tool Fuel Brochure.pdf

Not the reason most want avgas at all.

It has no ethanol, and it can be stored for longer periods.

And no offense, but Stabil isn't worth the match it would take to burn it up.

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n" put yer mony where yer mouth is please. not opions please, Just the facts man, just the facts. I have always wanted to know how and why this stuff is supposed to work. Sounds like you know something I don't and I have always been a bit susicious of gas additives.

Anybody tried 50Fuel yet? I just got a couple of cases for testing. I'm going to do a whole deal on fuel for the magazine. Anyone got any other fuel suggestions to test? Gas only, not oil. Gary owns oil here. :cheers:

Which one do you recommend? C10?
I had quite an extensive conversation with VP yesterday and they are well aware of chainsaws, in fact, the guy had LOTS to say about chainsaws and other small 2 cycle engines and their unique requirements. They recommend their C12 fuel.

I had quite an extensive conversation with VP yesterday and they are well aware of chainsaws, in fact, the guy had LOTS to say about chainsaws and other small 2 cycle engines and their unique requirements. They recommend their C12 fuel.

Is it oxygenated?

I just checked VP's website, C12 is not oxygenated, but it is leaded. I think C10 would be a great option, nonoxtgenated and unleaded. I'm going to check with some local speed shops and check on cost for a 5gal pail of C10.

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n" put yer mony where yer mouth is please. not opions please, Just the facts man, just the facts. I have always wanted to know how and why this stuff is supposed to work. Sounds like you know something I don't and I have always been a bit susicious of gas additives.

I've had good results with Stabil, and also the POR-15 additive.
Because I rarely go up to the cabin during the winter, and I have nothing up there needing straight gas except the mower (I don't cut the grass, my cousin does. I do manly things like drinking beer and felling trees, and falling off scaffolding), I use Stabil in the straight gas.
It stays good for a year, good enough to run the mower - on while it won't start in "untreated" stuff - you have to dump the fuel (which always comes out looking and smelling dead), then fill wth fresh or old treated gas, then it'll start in a few pulls.
Not sure if you have Flymo mowers over in the US, but we had one which was always an utter whore to start - it needed a rag soaked in starting fluid held over the intake before it would even pop.
Then my old man figured out that it was due to the fact that it was always left with gas in it until the next year (this was ten years ago, no ethanolin the stuff). From then, we ran it dry and continued to keep it going on starter fluid for a few seconds after the tank was empty, to get rid of all the stale stuff. Not a problem until the day it fell apart.
Now, the mower starts after a prime and a few pulls on year-old gas with either Stabil or POR-15 stabiliser no problems.
No idea what it does to the fuel, but IMO it works.

I just checked VP's website, C12 is not oxygenated, but it is leaded. I think C10 would be a great option, nonoxtgenated and unleaded. I'm going to check with some local speed shops and check on cost for a 5gal pail of C10.
It's funny, but in my interview with the VP engineer he was really touting the benefits of a small amount of lead for a chainsaw motor. Says it will make the saw run better and last longer. The 50Fuel gas doesn't have any lead in it, but they say it's because of regulatory issues. I dunno, but I will find out.

I will say this, the manufacturers I've talked to both say that pump gas is about equal to sewage, and that AV gas just isn't formulated for the high RPM's that our little motors run.

Last edited:
Back