10x10 holzhausen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many cords in a 10' tall and 10' in diameter holzhausen ?

~ 6.1358125 cords. use the Volume formula at the bottom.

Cylinderr.gif

Round pile that uses convective currents to dry the wood.Here is my latest, before it was finished with a conical topView attachment 78621

Nice job building your holz, please let us know how it holds up over time. I've read quite a few post where guys have lost them as the pile settles a little unevenly...

Nice job building your holz, please let us know how it holds up over time. I've read quite a few post where guys have lost them as the pile settles a little unevenly...

I've built dozens and have never had a problem.I think you could drive into this at 30 mph and it would stop you cold.I live in a city, and one of the reasons I stack this way is you don't have to worry about it falling over on anyone.

I've built dozens and have never had a problem.I think you could drive into this at 30 mph and it would stop you cold.I live in a city, and one of the reasons I stack this way is you don't have to worry about it falling over on anyone.

And it takes up way less space. 4 or 5 cords in the same space as 2 cords normally in rows.

Does this kind of pile actually help the wood dry faster? Sure looks like a lot more work than a traditional row pile.

Does this kind of pile actually help the wood dry faster? Sure looks like a lot more work than a traditional row pile.

Yes it does.Most of my cutting involves dead trees, so drying times can vary, but I made one of Bur Oak that was green and it was bone dry in 6 months, probably burn-able in 4 months.I don't find it much more work than a long pile, where you are constantly moving away from your pile.The one shortcoming, especially for dealers, is that it needs to be dismantled at one time...i.e when you put it in the shed...rather than a bit at a time.Long arms help.
Should mention that the center is filled with vertical logs stacked on on another.I use the smaller unsplit rounds.This part goes fast.

Last edited:

There are two camps regarding this but,

The name Holz Hausen doesn’t exist!
A Holz Haus would be a house built out of wood. A Holz Haufen is just wood thrown into a pile.
The right word for this structures is Holz Miete and they don’t have a center pole.
They are not drying the wood faster either.
The web site http://www.holzmiete.de recommends, that the wood has to try like this for a minimum of 2 years!
It’s just a space saving way to store wood that looks good!

There are two camps regarding this but,
The name Holz Hausen doesn’t exist!
A Holz Haus would be a house built out of wood. A Holz Haufen is just wood thrown into a pile. The right word for this structures is Holz Miete and they don’t have a center pole. They are not drying the wood faster either.
The web site http://www.holzmiete.de recommends, that the wood has to try like this for a minimum of 2 years! It’s just a space saving way to store wood that looks good!

Während sie in Deutch sagen: „Holz hausen ist eine Topfscherbe von Ka KA“, oder ein städtischer Mythos, höflich zu sein. Es ist in Deutchland oder irgendwo sonst nicht benutzt. Der Mann ist richtig. Der so genannt H² ist eine Zeitverschwendung, ist hübsch, ist schwierig, Brennholz von herauszunehmen, und ist ein Haufen. ..no mehr. Jetzt bin ich nicht zu rechthaberisch. :agree2: :givebeer:

Neat site, thanks.The center pole is only to track drying progress.I used it on a couple when I started out. You have to admire the Teutonic precision evident in the stacks shown, but they are very tightly stacked and some of them lack the inward tilt I was taught to put into them.I think two years is always a good thing, just like I think Laphroaig is good Scotch; sometimes you have to get along with lesser stuff.

Back