'15 Echo CS620PW Information

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty close in price to eBay?! I'll support the local guy for the few extra bucks. Well worth it if I need something major. I don't plan to do any mods to this saw. Heck, the way it sounds, I shouldn't need to! I'm looking forward to picking it up.

Nate,

Nice talking to you this evening. I appreciated the help and advice! I will order again when I need something.
If your going to be milling with a saw I'd start looking for a big saw like 80cc+ my dealer just got an cs800 in I'd like to give it a try but even 80cc will probly be small for milling in big hardwoods. Congrats on the new saw. I can't wait to get my ported 590 back and get it back in some wood.

If your going to be milling with a saw I'd start looking for a big saw like 80cc+ my dealer just got an cs800 in I'd like to give it a try but even 80cc will probly be small for milling in big hardwoods. Congrats on the new saw. I can't wait to get my ported 590 back and get it back in some wood.

Thanks for the heads up. Most of the stuff I will be milling would be some pine or red oak. Mostly just for personal use while adding on to the house for large beams or for log type furniture. Largest would be around 24" wide that I could think of. Most will be more around 15". I realize there are limitations, sometimes....

Picked up the saw yesterday. The shop I got it from had not put gas in it so I know they had not tuned it up. Got it home and mixed some fresh gas with the Red Armor oil I picked up. It took about 10 pulls to get it primed and started up. It sounded like it was already running right. There was no hesitation and it was four stroking nicely. I did have to adjust the bar oil after a few minutes. The chain had no oil on it. After I adjusted it, it had a little on it. I did the oil line test on a log I cut out and the line was nice and defined. I put a tank and a half through it before running out of already downed trees. It easily saved me an hour compared to my Stihl 021. I'll have to upload a picture later. I'm not great at remembering to take them as I would rather use the saw then take a picture.

If it only gets better, it's going to be a lot of saw. The CS-620P just plain cuts some wood!

just recently got my wrecked 620p up and going. it is a flea-bay special that took a great fall off a bucket truck.

all the plastic was busted , had two bent mounts , a broke spark plug and a small part of the upper cylinder fin broke off.

stripping off the dented up muffler i found that the cylinder and piston was as clean as a gun barrel on inspection day!! i ordered a used fuel tank off flea bay and the rest of the plastic from sawagain a site sponsor --

since the muffler was dented up and looked kind of crude i thought a ghetto style MM was in order a very modest carb adjustment after the limiters somehow got 'lost" and now it is a running little rat-fink!! a bit noisy though-- pulls a 24" very well--

some "before" pictures from flea-bay - and i forgot the decompression valve still works--

s-l1600 (15).jpg

just recently got my wrecked 620p up and going. it is a flea-bay special that took a great fall off a bucket truck.

all the plastic was busted , had two bent mounts , a broke spark plug and a small part of the upper cylinder fin broke off.

stripping off the dented up muffler i found that the cylinder and piston was as clean as a gun barrel on inspection day!! i ordered a used fuel tank off flea bay and the rest of the plastic from sawagain a site sponsor --

since the muffler was dented up and looked kind of crude i thought a ghetto style MM was in order a very modest carb adjustment after the limiters somehow got 'lost" and now it is a running little rat-fink!! a bit noisy though-- pulls a 24" very well--

some "before" pictures from flea-bay - and i forgot the decompression valve still works--

View attachment 565559
Hmmm....any "after" pics?, would love to see the muffler mod.....:)

View attachment 565559
With the squish these saws have from factory its amazing they need a de comp valve. My porter sead my 590 wouldn't touch .030 sauder with the base gasket out. Nice job fixing a beat up saw.

yea i should take the decompression valve out and install a plug-- will a stihl plug fit?

i haven't tested the compression-- pulling the rope though if feels like it has got quite a bit and runs like it does-- i plan on doing a gasket delete in the future -- and maybe some mild poor boy porting --

yea i should take the decompression valve out and install a plug-- will a stihl plug fit?

i haven't tested the compression-- pulling the rope though if feels like it has got quite a bit and runs like it does-- i plan on doing a gasket delete in the future -- and maybe some mild poor boy porting --
Iv read the 620 base gasket is thinner then the 590 or 600. I used the decomp on cold starts after it warmed up didn't need it. I'll be using it every time now with the gasket gone and the jug machined.

Not correct according to the IPL's, the CS-590, CS-600 and CS-620 take the same base gasket.

They do list a different P/C for the CS-620, and some CS-600's have a different P/C as well. Later model CS-600's have the same P/C as the CS-590's.

I own one version of each. My CS-600 is an earlier model and uses a different P/C than the CS-590, and a different coil. I've ran both of them to cut most of my firewood this year, and they are close in power, but the CS-600 it just a tad stronger. I also put a 24" bar on CS-600 and it pulls it with great authority. Until I bought the CS-620 recently it has been my "go to" saw for taking down a lot of HUGE dead Ash trees on several properties that I maintain

I'd add here that I've been running a large mount Husqvarna bar on the CS-600 w/o modifications, seems to do fine with it although it probably wouldn't hurt to "message" the oil hole slightly for a little better alignment..........Cliff

Not correct according to the IPL's, the CS-590, CS-600 and CS-620 take the same base gasket.

They do list a different P/C for the CS-620, and some CS-600's have a different P/C as well. Later model CS-600's have the same P/C as the CS-590's.

I own one version of each. My CS-600 is an earlier model and uses a different P/C than the CS-590, and a different coil. I've ran both of them to cut most of my firewood this year, and they are close in power, but the CS-600 it just a tad stronger. I also put a 24" bar on CS-600 and it pulls it with great authority. Until I bought the CS-620 recently it has been my "go to" saw for taking down a lot of HUGE dead Ash trees on several properties that I maintain

I'd add here that I've been running a large mount Husqvarna bar on the CS-600 w/o modifications, seems to do fine with it although it probably wouldn't hurt to "message" the oil hole slightly for a little better alignment..........Cliff
Cliff I'd just like to say I enjoy all your unbiased and honest post about the Echo saws. I'm following your 620 thread also.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm really not brand specific when it comes to these things. I buy, use and work on many different makes and models of power equipment.

My entire saw line-up is filled with saws that are not only very impressive in cutting performance, but they are dead solid reliable in long term use as well. I keep what "makes the grade", the rest goes on Ebay.

For sure the Echo CS-590, 600 and 620 are "keepers". I consider the CS-590 at this time the best bargain out there in a chain saw. You can certainly pay a LOT more, and get a LOT less!.....IMHO.......Cliff

Maybe he thought it was one of those reversible chains, you know, the ones with standard teeth on one side, and the milling angle on the other:laughing:.

A sharp chain makes a huge difference.
I've even heard that an echo will cut 25% faster with a sharp chain:lol:.
couldn't get the video here any other way. First run after porting.

IMG_20170312_144030.jpg Saw came back the other day. Gona check the tune and buck these big walnut logs as I can't find anyone close with a mill and the developer wants them gone.

IMG_20170404_140646.jpg IMG_20170404_140555.jpg The bigger log on the top I could just get threw with a 16" bar so I ran the muff mod 490 threw it. Then ran the deaves61 ported 590 threw it probly would be 2 cuts to one or better. You can just load the saw up and let it eat now. More RPMs and holds them in the cut now much better then stock. IMG_20170404_140846.jpg And boy does the 590 like to noodle iv never had to stop and clear a clogged clutch cover on this saw.

What gives the Echo 620 such a lot of torque is the big stroke. Is has a stroke of 37,6mm for a bore of 45 mm. such a ´long' stroke would only be found on larger displacement saws.

I love my 620, best saw ever had and used till now... :clap:

Back