154se/254XP modded

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam08ski

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have tuned the muffler and opened out the air filter inlet on my 154se w/ 254xp Mahle top end. Just trying to gauge the top rpm that I am looking for.

I personally feel it is still running rich but the rev's are noticeably higher that when it was stock. I really don't feel like cooking the P & C or kill the bearings. Due to the mods I recon using a tacho will be pretty pointless.

Also I recon the 4 stroking that is happening at the moment is quite dogged and rough and still sounds like it wants to be leaned out a tad more but the rev's just sound great which I am not used to and it worry's me a tad.

Day to day I have used my 371 so the are far lower and I to be honest cannot gauge where I should be heading now it is not stock.

Secondly I am thinking of removing the cylinder gasket to improve the squish but my calipers are dead and cannot measure the squish accurately. Does anyone know if just using gasket seal and no gasket will F**k things up or even if it is worth doing?

I am not looking at racing the saw I just want something that I use ever now and again to make me smile.

Any info or help would be much appreciated.

Hello how did the saw turn out? Iam about ready to put one of these together my self. Thanks

Awesome. Murders any 346xp 455 rancher or MS290. To be honest it is a rocket. I highly recommend doing it for laughs and work..

Thanks and I have a 290 a good saw but my 55 will out run it and my back thanks me later lol.

Do it and see how much better it will be. They are better than a 55 standard so I think you will be impressed.. do it!

Back